Fw: City of Denver to base sheltering on immigration status

a CARTER

Apr 23, 2023, 9:28:26 PM4/23/23
to fusd immigrant

From: Gabriela Flora <GFl...@afsc.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2023 9:13 AM
To: Rev. Mike Moran (revm...@gmail.com) <revm...@gmail.com>; Arnie Carter (merri...@msn.com) <merri...@msn.com>; Julie Meyers <julie.m...@gmail.com>
Cc: Jennifer Piper <JPi...@afsc.org>
Subject: City of Denver to base sheltering on immigration status

Dear all,

Thank you each for signing on to our concerns letter a month ago. I write to let you know that Mayor Hancock is clearly trying to wind down and close sheltering before he leaves office. They’ve instituted a 30 day shelter stay, reduced hours at the intake center to 8-5 Monday through Friday and moved that intake center onto Aurarias campus which is not very close to the bus station. There are still 30-50 people arriving every day, but now they are sheltering around 660 people. This week people began getting notice to leave and essentially being evicted from shelter.

Last Thursday the city announced they’ll be using the answer to whether people have status to determine whether to shelter them or refuse shelter. That policy will start on May 8. Currently arrivals are 75% people who the government has had an interaction with and 25% not. The City will likely be reimbursed for the 75% of folks who’ve had an interaction through FEMA.

This is unacceptable.

  1. The city could use this to deny people other city funded services in the future, not just federal dollars. This represents a walk away from Welcoming and Safe City policies.
  2. This will put new arrivals to the city onto the street and into competition with unhoused Denverites who already do not receive enough support. It could cause conflict and division of vulnerable folks  in the streets.
  3. Also make the mostly young, single undocumented arrivals vulnerable to human trafficking and houseleness+other underground activity that could push them into the criminal legal system – making them immediately deportable.

Asks:

  • Thanks to CIRC we’ll be hosting a phone bank next week to push calls to the mayor and to city council. Will you join us in inviting your members?
  • AFSC is seting up a click to email city council and the mayor. Will you push that out on social media and through an email to your members?
  • We’ll share a social media kit tonight for next Monday. Will you join us and post one day next week or reshare from CIRC/AFSC?
  • Will you sign onto our joint statement to media and provide a quote?

Jennifer Piper  (ella/she)

Program Director, Colorado office of the American Friends Service Committee

+1 720.439.4409 (office)
jpi...@afsc.org

afsc.org/denver
1420 N. Ogden St. Suite 201
Denver, Colorado 80218

Donate to the Colorado Immigrant Rights Program here
Your contribution will support organizing immigrants and citizens in support of immigrant led justice.

image of American Friends Service Committee logo

Rhoda Whitney

Apr 24, 2023, 9:56:09 PM4/24/23
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
I will do the click to email and share the social media kit.
Rhoda

--
www.metrodenversanctuary.org
---