Fw: Urgent: Metting tomorrow - Increased arrival of newcomers needs increased capacity and partnering

a CARTER

Oct 2, 2023, 6:02:27 PM10/2/23
to fusd immigrant

From: Jennifer Piper <JPi...@afsc.org>
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2023 1:49 PM
Subject: Urgent: Metting tomorrow - Increased arrival of newcomers needs increased capacity and partnering

Dear all (because this is urgent, I’ve taken the liberty of bcc’ing you on this invitation with others),

Please share the below with other interested parties.

As you may have heard, Denver is receiving more newcomers, many of them on buses from Texas where shelters are full and many folks are experiencing long delays trying to leave the border. (migrants and asylum seekers arriving to the city seeking assistance.) Four to eight buses are arriving daily and the schedule and timing of these is no longer predictable as about 100 buses from Texas are transporting people daily to places in the interior. The four shelters the city has been maintaining are full, the wait times outside the intake center (in the elements) are often several hours and the overflow sites for shelter often come with severe restrictions on movement or are only overnight. The city is only providing cold breakfast and dinner to folks, including families.  AFSC is raising complaints about food restrictions and lack of shade, water and food outside intake.

Tomorrow Tuesday, 10/3 at 9:30am, the City of Denver  will update people on this rapidly evolving situation and opportunities for local nonprofits/NGOs (including our faith communities) to provide immediate support. I hope that someone from your community can attend with a focus on asking questions and insisting on a workable process that expands our capacity to welcome. Some folks experienced some frustration attempting to partner in January and February with the City, but this is a new administration and new moment to try again. (connection information below. You can attend a Teams meeting on the web, but the functionality is often better if you download the free application to your phone, tablet or computer). If you have any questions or need additional context, please call my cell phone or contact Melissa Burton and Evan Dryer Evan....@denvergov.org from the City of Denver Melissa...@denvergov.org

This Thursday October 5 at 11:30am we’ll host a follow up meeting to examine the feasibility of partnering with the city as well as our collective capacity to offer additional support to newcomers and to our partners doing the critical integration work (Papagayo, VIVE Wellness, Lutheran and Servicios de la Raza).

Newcomer capacity  Oct 5, 2023 11:30 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada) Join Zoom Meeting https://afsc-org.zoom.us/j/89094748869?pwd=YkRxZk9obXlxRURReEJaa0o4VkkwUT09 Meeting ID: 890 9474 8869 Passcode: 353169

One tap mobile +17193594580,,89094748869#,,,,*353169# US +12532158782,,89094748869#,,,,*353169# US (Tacoma)

The city agenda is below:

Possible support may include but is not limited to:

- providing temporary shelter

-reception/intake volunteer assistance

-volunteer assistance with preparing onward travel/”exit packets” (e.g., cold weather items, non-perishable food items, and/or feminine and baby products)

-volunteer assistance for accompaniment support for arrivals coming through Denver International Airport

Agenda:

I.                     Introductions – Atim/Melissa

II.                   Situational Awareness – Public Dashboard

III.                 Local capacity to assist – Group discussion

IV.                Gaps and resource support – Group discussion/City of Denver

V.                  Next steps - Group discussion

Microsoft Teams meeting with the City of Denver and NGO/Faith partners

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting

Meeting ID: 228 087 052 645
Passcode: bqFqMj

Download Teams | Join on the web

Join with a video conferencing device

8675...@t.plcm.vc

Video Conference ID: 113 309 985 5

Alternate VTC instructions

Or call in (audio only)

+1 720-388-6219,,596150550#   United States, Denver

Phone Conference ID: 596 150 550#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | Meeting options

Jennifer Piper  (ella/she)

Program Director, Colorado office of the American Friends Service Committee

+1 720.439.4409 (office)
jpi...@afsc.org

afsc.org/denver
1420 N. Ogden St. Suite 201
Denver, Colorado 80218

Donate to the Colorado Immigrant Rights Program here
Your contribution will support organizing immigrants and citizens in support of immigrant led justice.

image of American Friends Service Committee logo

Kathy Glatz

Oct 2, 2023, 6:08:27 PM10/2/23
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!