I'm back

Guy Fontaine

Oct 30, 2014, 8:14:33 PM10/30/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hi all !

I've been away for a while. Now that issue with US mirror has been fixed, I can install debian-sources.

Yesternight I began installation of Funtoo. This morning last steps were completed. For now I just use Funtoo in CLI mode. I still have some tailoring to perform, eg creating a user account and adding some useful applications and tools.

I'll install X and GNOME in the forthcoming days. My other GNU/Linux is Debian JESSIE and desktop is GNOME 3.14. If GNOME 3.14 still were masked by the time I install it, I simply will unmask. It will be the light edition. Later I will emerge and configure a kernel from source. By the way kernel set really is a nice feature. IMHO it is one of those little things that make Funtoo appealing compared to Gentoo. Most of all OpenRC !

Another thing too. GRUB was updated from Debian. Funtoo boot loader will install later.

As you may know, Funtoo-Québec is dead. It was closed because not enough traffic to maintain both forum and wiki. Therefore I plan to produce French documentation in the form of PDF this winter. It will be based on a kind of case study and I will use what is available from official wiki.

Regards,

Guy