RequireUpdatedDatabaseHttpModule crashes on start

George Doubinski

Sep 11, 2012, 10:34:29 AM9/11/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

after following instructions and installing FunnelWeb "as is" from the dev, I immediately face the problem I cannot get my head around. It just wouldn't start and generates YSOD:

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   FunnelWeb.Web.Application.RequireUpdatedDatabaseHttpModule.ApplicationBeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Source\FunnelWeb\src\FunnelWeb.Web\Application\RequireUpdatedDatabaseHttpModule.cs:18
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +269

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

The line generating kaboom is:
if (!DependencyResolver.Current.GetService<IDatabaseUpgradeDetector>().UpdateNeeded()) return;

Everything runs fine in my dev. environment. What am I missing?
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
George

Aaron Powell

Sep 17, 2012, 10:28:26 PM9/17/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com

Do you have a database instance setup and the connection string valid?

Aaron Powell
MVP - Internet Explorer (Development) | FunnelWeb Team Member

http://apowell.me | http://twitter.com/slace | Skype: aaron.l.powell | Github | BitBucket

George Doubinski

Sep 17, 2012, 11:13:53 PM9/17/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
Yes I do and yes it's valid. (or so I think :). Is that the expected error when string is not valid? I tested it locally (supplying invalid or no connection string at all) and nice page is displayed inviting me to fix the problem in my.config file. I suspect something is missing on the server but I'm not sure what and where to start.

George Doubinski

Sep 24, 2012, 4:44:22 PM9/24/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
Crickets...

Aaron Powell

Sep 24, 2012, 7:07:28 PM9/24/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com

I’ve got no idea, hence why I didn’t reply

Aaron Powell
MVP - Internet Explorer (Development) | FunnelWeb Team Member

http://apowell.me | http://twitter.com/slace | Skype: aaron.l.powell | Github | BitBucket

George Doubinski

Sep 24, 2012, 9:22:38 PM9/24/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
It looks like either

DependencyResolver.Current

or

DependencyResolver.Current.GetService<IDatabaseUpgradeDetector>()

returns null.

Would it help to find out which one or still no clue in either case?

--
George

Aaron Powell

Sep 27, 2012, 7:49:06 PM9/27/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com

Either of them being null is problematic, DependencyResolver is a MVC framework feature so if that’s null there’s a big problem and f the db upgrader is null then the dependencies haven’t loaded which is also a problem.

Are you:

-          On a shared or dedicated host?

-          Have you ensured .NET 4.0 is installed?

-          Is the app pool set correctly for .NET 4.0?

-          Have you got MVC3 installed?

George Doubinski

Sep 27, 2012, 9:34:37 PM9/27/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
  • It's my own server
  • .NET 4.0 is installed
  • Pool is set to .NET 4.0 Integrated
  • I thought it's bin-deployed so installation is not required. But just in case, I installed MVC 3 with the same outcome
I understand that either null is a major problem. What I'm trying to get an advice on is what would be the quickest way to find out what's failing, i.e. what causes MVC framework failure or dependency load failure. I can modify the code as required, just need few pointers where to start!

Aaron Powell

Oct 1, 2012, 12:53:49 AM10/1/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com

I don’t have a clue where to start, event viewer may have something if a dependency is failing to load but that’s a wild guess

George Doubinski

Oct 1, 2012, 5:14:12 AM10/1/12
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
Ahm, well, this is embarrassing...

Somehow I managed to miss Global.asax when deploying. That will teach me not to copy by hand next time.

Thank you for your help!

alirıza adıyahşi

Apr 11, 2013, 4:12:46 AM4/11/13
to funnel...@googlegroups.com

Dis you solve problem and how?

George Doubinski

Apr 11, 2013, 3:47:40 PM4/11/13
to funnel...@googlegroups.com
As per my latest reply: "Somehow I managed to miss Global.asax when deploying"
That was it - missed that file.
I think I've seen some odd installations of .NET 4 (like beta) causing problems as well, it's worth to re-run .NET 4 install to make sure it's clean.