Shouting to myself

Andy Aldridge

Apr 16, 2014, 6:35:46 PM4/16/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
I found myself this evening just nattering away to myself (mostly) on the modern "social media" and thought of how I missed the old "social media" when I got the feeling folk were actually listening to my mindless distractions, and would ocasionally chip in.

So... here I am in old "social media"

NYCTaper has posted Dean Wareham's Bowery show
http://www.fullofwishes.co.uk/2014/04/16/audio-nyctaper-has-dean-warehams-bowery-ballroom-show-to-download/
... and at the end of Moon Palace there's a City Kitty moment which bought back some lovely memories...

So here I am.

Dean's playing in London on 23rd May at the lovely Islington Town Hall... we should try for another meet up!

Also Damon & Naomi in London on 18th May - I'll be at that one too!

Ah well...

Ryan Cheek

Apr 16, 2014, 8:13:23 PM4/16/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
As someone in their forties, as well, I too, miss the old listing or 'social media' that this list generated; mostly: "What's everyone listening to right now?"
Over the years, I have been introduced to an innumerable amount of great music and bands.
Love to hear it...

Ryan

Sent from The Cheekerman's iPhone

Andy Aldridge

Apr 17, 2014, 9:08:13 AM4/17/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
... well, as for what I'm listening to (that isn't old) ... I'm getting my ears ready for Indietracks,,, so as well as Dean, I've been listening to

The Spook School http://thespookschool.bandcamp.com/album/dress-up
Joanna Gruesome (still) http://joannagruesome.bandcamp.com/
Franny and Zooey http://frannyzooey.bandcamp.com/album/bananafish
Night Flowers http://soundcloud.com/wearenightflowers

And lots of old stuff too because of my imminent 50th birthday http://www.grange85.co.uk/swirling/50-films-and-50-albums/

Hannah 'Shabby' Ehrlich

Apr 17, 2014, 1:49:23 PM4/17/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
Count me in for the Islington pre-meet! Looking forward to the show - it'll be a great way to celebrate the end of my exams...

As for what I'm listening to: I like to put the same few old favourites on repeat while studying so I don't get too distracted by exciting new music but still have something pleasant to listen to - lately it's been 'Joy 1967-1990' by Ultra Vivid Scene, 'Giant Steps' by the Boo Radleys and 'World' by Shady (ex- Mercury Rev vocalist Dave Baker - I enjoy how freaked-out he always sounds). Loving Dean's new album too, but that's a given.

Bob Rudell

Apr 17, 2014, 2:06:24 PM4/17/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy and all,

As one well past my 40s (and over half way through my 60s) I also miss the social exchange that once existed on this list.

I saw Dean and band last Saturday at the Turf Club in Minneapolis. It was a very good show, with a good mix of G500, Luna and Dean songs.The songs from the recent solo record came across even better live. The encores of Ceremony and Indian Summer were excellent as usual.

As for what I'm listening to these days, I really like the new Augustines self-titled record. They were previously know as Pela, then We Are Augustines before shortening to Augustines. Missed their show by a day. I also am enjoying the most recent Glasvegas release "Later When the TV turns to static". Also saw their recent show in Mpls and they seem to be distancing themselves from everything on the Euphoria CD. Which is unfortunate, their best encore-closing song is on that one. Also like the Palma Violets record...they cancelled a show here when they got booked on one of the late night shows.

Never had a chance to say "hi" to Dean and Britta for you, Andy. Maybe next time.

Bob R

Apr 18, 2014, 3:27:30 AM4/18/14
to fullof...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear from you Bob, the shows this time round have been getting such a good reception... luckily I'll get to say "hi" in person in a month or so!