FCM Notifier improvment ?

Philippe Dubrulle

Feb 10, 2011, 2:43:58 PM2/10/11
to full-circle-notifier
Hi,

I just installed the FCM Notifier under Xubuntu 10.04 using the .deb
package from Laurent's PPA. It works perfectly (and appears correctly
in the Applications -> Internet menu).

I was wondering if it would be easy (well, not too hard) that the
notifier be configurable for other languages than English...

I work with the french translation team, our french versions of the
FCM are downloaded by around 4000 people each month, and the notifier
would certainly be appreciated by the french readers.

I see two questions here : technically and programatically speaking,
I suppose you can add this fonctionnality ; but then how would the
"notifications" be sent ? I don't know how the notifications are sent
for the english version, and wether each translation team would have
an "access" to notify everyone when a new translation is ready to
download... (perhaps just a mail to Ronnie or Robert to annouve a new
french issue ?)

Well, thanks a lot for your work !
Philippe.

Robert

Feb 12, 2011, 7:38:34 PM2/12/11
to Full Circle Notifier
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your interest - this is indeed possible, and reasonably
easy to do, it just requires me to find time to implement this. As for
notification, this would be something Ronnie and your team will need
to decide - my guess is it's simplest to give you access to the
administrative interface and allow you to send the notifications where
there is a new issue, alternatively Ronnie or someone else could do
it.

Robert

Robert

Feb 12, 2011, 7:59:58 PM2/12/11
to Full Circle Notifier
I've just implemented basic support for this -
https://bitbucket.org/mrmonday/full-circle-notifier/changeset/19f6ddb13ab6.
There is no user interface yet, but it's a start.

Robert

Philippe Dubrulle

Feb 13, 2011, 11:24:19 AM2/13/11
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com, Robert
2011/2/13 Robert <robert....@gmail.com>:

> I've just implemented basic support for this -
> https://bitbucket.org/mrmonday/full-circle-notifier/changeset/19f6ddb13ab6.
> There is no user interface yet, but it's a start.

Hi,

Thank you. I looked at the code the other day and didn't think it
would be so "easy".
Looking at the changes you just made, I didn't understand where the
language would be chosen (probably in a GUI, but I don't see any
variable in the code, I just see "en".
Maybe you didn't finish yet :)

I don't know if the packages (.deb for me) are be updated regularly
when you update the code...

I'm going to contact Ronnie to talk with him about the way we can
notify people for other languages than English.

Thanks again.
Philippe.

Robert

Feb 13, 2011, 4:42:58 PM2/13/11
to Full Circle Notifier
On Feb 13, 4:24 pm, Philippe Dubrulle <p.dubru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/13 Robert <robert.clips...@gmail.com>:
>
> > I've just implemented basic support for this -
> >https://bitbucket.org/mrmonday/full-circle-notifier/changeset/19f6ddb....
> > There is no user interface yet, but it's a start.
>
> Hi,
>
>   Thank you. I looked at the code the other day and didn't think  it
> would be so "easy".
>   Looking at the changes you just made, I didn't understand where the
> language would be chosen (probably in a GUI, but I don't see any
> variable in the code, I just see "en".
>   Maybe you didn't finish yet :)
>
>   I don't know if the packages (.deb for me) are be updated regularly
> when you update the code...
>
>   I'm going to contact Ronnie to talk with him about the way we can
> notify people for other languages than English.
>
> Thanks again.
>   Philippe.

There is currently no user interface for changing the language (I
didn't have time to add that, you're correct, it's more than a few
lines that need tweaking for that). The changes above however, allow
you to change the language using the configuration file. No users
should have to go near this, so an interface will need adding, but
until I get time to add this, this should work.