Packaging for Debian/Ubuntu

Robert

Aug 19, 2010, 4:07:08 PM8/19/10
to Full Circle Notifier
After the amazing response from people wanting to help package for
various platforms, I've created this group to allow me to keep track
of who's packaging what, and to allow people to collaborate. If you're
interested in packaging for Debian/Ubuntu, please post below.
Requirements:

* PPA for current versions of Ubuntu/Debian offering 32bit/64bit and
other supported platforms
* Nightly builds - these don't need a PPA, but that would be nice.

Robert

Aug 19, 2010, 4:26:20 PM8/19/10
to Full Circle Notifier
For those interested in packaging for Ubuntu (and maybe debian),
there's already a launchpad project set up for the notifier, I can
give you rights if needs be.

Robert

Aug 21, 2010, 12:21:58 PM8/21/10
to Full Circle Notifier
Has anyone taken on this task? Could really do with a .deb to get some
feedback/testing done before release!

Thanks.

Laurent Parenteau

Aug 21, 2010, 12:36:48 PM8/21/10
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I've set up a projet on openSuse Build Service which I'll use to
create the .debs for Debian and Ubuntu.
I should have the time to build them next week.

Laurent

Robert

Aug 21, 2010, 1:51:37 PM8/21/10
to Full Circle Notifier
Excellent, cheers! Let me know when you do, I'd like to be able to get
it tested as soon as possible and work out the inevitable bugs before
most people use the app.

Robert

On Aug 21, 5:36 pm, Laurent Parenteau <laurent.parent...@gmail.com>

Luke Faraone

Aug 22, 2010, 7:25:22 PM8/22/10
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com, Laurent Parenteau, Mackenzie Morgan
On 08/21/2010 12:36 PM, Laurent Parenteau wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I've set up a projet on openSuse Build Service which I'll use to
> create the .debs for Debian and Ubuntu.
> I should have the time to build them next week.

I'm not familiar with the openSuse Build Service, but if you provide a
link to your .dsc I'll look it over for inclusion in Debian if you want
to maintain it there.

Mackenzie Morgan also expressed interest in packaging it for Debian and
Ubuntu.

--
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
│Luke Faraone ╭Debian / Ubuntu Developer╮│

signature.asc

Laurent Parenteau

Aug 23, 2010, 4:53:51 PM8/23/10
to Luke Faraone, full-circl...@googlegroups.com, Mackenzie Morgan
Hi,

The Ubuntu 10.04 packages (for x86 and x86_64) are available here :
https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries?package=fullcirclenotifier&project=home%3Alparenteau%3Afullcircle&repository=xUbuntu_10.04
I've successfully installed the x86_64 package and the app is running
fine on my Kubuntu 10.04 laptop.

Luke, you can get the .dsc from that link too.

I've also added it to my Launchpad PPA, but that's not ready yet.
Will let you know once that's done.

Regards,

Laurent

ronnietucker

Aug 23, 2010, 7:04:35 PM8/23/10
to Full Circle Notifier
I've installed it, and it does work, but it's not showing up in the
Ubuntu menu(s) I had to run it (fcnotify) by using Alt+F2

Also, possibly one for Robert, when I hover my pointer over the icon
it doesn't tell me what the app is. Just a minor niggle :)

Top work though folks, thanks!

On Aug 23, 9:53 pm, Laurent Parenteau <laurent.parent...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Ubuntu 10.04 packages (for x86 and x86_64) are available here :https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries?package=fullcirclenotifie...

Robert

Aug 24, 2010, 8:52:30 AM8/24/10
to Full Circle Notifier
I've replied to most of this in a private email, I should probably
post here for completeness though:

- To have it show up in the menu we need a .desktop file, I don't
know whether that's up to the maintainers or me, probably me though -
actually copying the .desktop in would be part of the package I'd
guess though
- If you mean the tray icon, yes, that's a job for me
- The resulting binary is called fcnotify - It should be fcnotifier,
this is corrected in the latest hg revision (I'll let y'all know when
we're ready for another beta)

There are a couple of other things that were mentioned, they aren't
packaging related though - I'll try and get them sorted and ready for
another beta before the end of the week.

Robert

Laurent Parenteau

Aug 26, 2010, 3:15:12 PM8/26/10
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've moved the Ubuntu package from openSuse's Build Service to my
Launchpad PPA :
https://launchpad.net/~laurent-parenteau/+archive/laurent/+packages

The latest package (-beta1-5) is available for amd64 (i386 is pending
being build). It include menu integration. I've only tried it with
KDE 4 (where it will show as Applications -> Internet -> Full Circle
Notifier), so if someone using Gnome can check if it works there...

Robert, if you want to integrate the icons/menu things directly into
your source, your welcome.

Regards,

Laurent

Robert

Aug 26, 2010, 3:34:15 PM8/26/10
to Full Circle Notifier
Thanks for this! Saves me a load of effort. What I'll do is set up an
assets/ directory and store the icons/.desktop file in there. Where
can I get a copy of the files?

As a side note, I'm going to work on some changes later this evening/
tomorrow afternoon (UTC+1) - after that I'll make a 1.0 release ready
for the magazine to be released on Saturday - if you're available to
work on the packages before release that'd be great.

Could you provide some instructions for setting up the PPA in Ubuntu
that I can include on the website/in the magazine?

Huge thanks for your help again,

Robert

On Aug 26, 8:15 pm, Laurent Parenteau <laurent.parent...@gmail.com>

Laurent Parenteau

Aug 26, 2010, 3:52:39 PM8/26/10
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

You can get the resources from the .deb file (dpkg -x
full-circle-notifier_1.0-beta1-5_amd64.deb <output directory>). For
convenience, I've also attached them to this e-mail.

For the instructions for setting up the PPA in Ubuntu, I think it
would be better if it would point to the Full Circle Notifier
Launchpad project you already have instead of my own PPA. If you give
me access to it, I'll be able to copy the packages there, and then
provide you with the instructions for accessing the Full Circle
Notifier 's PPA for the website/magazine.

Thanks,

Laurent

icons_n_menus.tar.gz

Robert

Aug 26, 2010, 7:26:52 PM8/26/10
to Full Circle Notifier
Thanks for the icons/desktop files, I'll make sure to include them
tomorrow when I'm working on this.

As for giving you access, I'd be happy to, if I had any idea how -
care to enlighten me? The reason I'm not using launchpad for
bugtracking etc is due to it being so incredibly complicated :3

On Aug 26, 8:52 pm, Laurent Parenteau <laurent.parent...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Robert,
>
> You can get the resources from the .deb file (dpkg -x
> full-circle-notifier_1.0-beta1-5_amd64.deb <output directory>).  For
> convenience, I've also attached them to this e-mail.
>
> For the instructions for setting up the PPA in Ubuntu, I think it
> would be better if it would point to the Full Circle Notifier
> Launchpad project you already have instead of my own PPA.  If you give
> me access to it, I'll be able to copy the packages there, and then
> provide you with the instructions for accessing the Full Circle
> Notifier 's PPA for the website/magazine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Laurent
>
>  icons_n_menus.tar.gz
> 10KViewDownload

Laurent Parenteau

Aug 26, 2010, 8:56:47 PM8/26/10
to full-circl...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

After some searching around, it seems that a "project" can't have a
PPA, so I've created a new PPA for my user that will be used only for
Full Circle Notifier.

So, the "official" Full Circle Notifier PPA is here :
https://launchpad.net/~laurent-parenteau/+archive/full-circle-notifier

Packages can be found here (or by clicking 'View Packages Details' on
the Full Circle Notifier PPA page) :
https://launchpad.net/~laurent-parenteau/+archive/full-circle-notifier/+packages

And here's how to add this PPA to your system and install the package
for the first time :
# add the Full Circle Notifier Launchpad PPA to your repositories
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:laurent-parenteau/full-circle-notifier
# update the package repository info
sudo apt-get update
# install the Full Circle Notifier application
sudo apt-get install full-circle-notifier

Thanks,

Laurent