Web Development on Production Servers

Ben

Oct 16, 2013, 10:38:17 AM10/16/13
to fukuo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I have a quick question. How do you keep your development content secure on your web server? Do you just use a .htaccess file to deny all access and then a robots.txt file to tell the search engines not to index? How secure and useful is this?

Thanks,
Ben

Mark Cowan

Oct 16, 2013, 6:36:50 PM10/16/13
to Fukuoka IT
Hello Ben,

How are things? Are you still in Texas?

>Do you just use a .htaccess file to deny all access and then a robots.txt >file to tell the search engines not to index

That's needed of course, but it's not enough, as I keep getting forum spammers trying to sign up fukuoka-it. I think that they are doing it manually.

Captcha cannot be set to difficultly as you'll put off real users. Is that a 1 or an l, a 0 or an O?

I'm guessing you're using an Apache server. How much control do you have over your host machine? Are you using your own web server or something like Word Press? Can you store image files or media files outside your website directory?

Mark

It ate the food it ne'er had eat,

And round and round it flew.

The ice did split with a thunder-fit;