I'm done after the 2.0 release

Jeremy D. Miller

Mar 27, 2014, 4:55:31 PM3/27/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Just to be transparent w/ everybody, my current thinking right now is to stop work on FubuMVC after I complete the performance and startup improvements that are in flight right now as the 2.0 release.  I do plan to continue to tinker on some things as a learning exercise or conference talk material (F# support, hypermedia improvements, OWIN), but I’m not planning to do much more work on enhancements or documentation writing after that.  The one thing that would change that is if we decide to try F# at work for our next big project.

I *might* restart FubuMVC work whenever Roslyn and .Net 5 come out because there’s some generally compelling stuff happening in Redmond that I’m seeing on the Insiders list.

Extend Health uses FubuMVC quite extensively, so I’ll certainly be doing bug fixes as things come up.

Why stop?
  • The FubuMVC team is basically just me for way, way too much scope for me to adequately cover.
  • fubu has very little traction or awareness from the community after 4 years of development and I don’t see that changing without a huge effort on the documentation, writing, and self promotion that I just flat out don’t enjoy doing
  • There’s a very obvious multi-year trend that anyone who gets interested in FubuMVC leaves .Net shortly afterward
  • Too many of my interactions with other developers about fubu related things falls down into either me feeling guilty about something that isn’t done yet or me taking abuse from someone who’d rather whine than send in a pull request or try to help
  • While I do think it’s possible for an OSS project in .Net to succeed, it’s an uphill battle compared to other technical communities

StructureMap 3 is definitely going to be released since it’s effectively done minus documentation.  I’m not yet sure what’s going to happen with Ripple.  Josh is trying to talk me into continuing on w/ Storyteller, but we’ll see.

Thank you guys for a mostly good 4-5 year run and counting with this thing,

Jeremy

rauh.ryan

Mar 27, 2014, 6:17:15 PM3/27/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Speaking from the perspective of someone who "left .NET", I would like to personally thank Jeremy for seriously doing an amazing job holding the torch of software quality and open source contributions like no one else in the .NET community. I know that my personal success and achievements in this profession are directly associated with your contributions, blog posts, conference talks, pod casts, and source code. I've learned more from reading your source code then you can possibly imagine.

Though I am now a meger front-end developer these days, C# and particularly FubuMVC hold a special place in my heart. The entire community humbles me as an unrivaled group of individuals whom I still hold in high regard for your dedication to craftsmanship and testing.

OSS work is a largely thankless job, so from me to you, thank you for all you do.

Ryan

Dru Sellers

Mar 27, 2014, 6:50:14 PM3/27/14
to FubuMVC Development Group
Here here.

Alistair Bush

Mar 27, 2014, 10:15:32 PM3/27/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeremy.

Thank you very much for all the work that you've done.

While getting fubu running on Linux I spent many an hour just getting lost in the code and enjoying every minute of it. otherwise would have just used MONO_IOMAP
If its any constellation this code has been where i've been running to get away from all the technical debt I have inherited in my day job.   It actually made me excited about C#/.NET for a change.

If you are ever near NZ there are many beers awaiting you.

Alistair.

jmarnold

Mar 28, 2014, 12:30:09 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

As everyone is probably already aware, I left Extend and began a new gig the beginning of this year. The hope was of course that we would begin leveraging some of Fubu some day but all of this transition has had a negative impact on my Fubu contributions. To say it more bluntly: I've pretty much been MIA this year. Fubu has been the number one reason I've stayed with .NET over the last 5 years. We have always struggled to grow the community but I will always remember the community that we did build. I've created life long friendships that I truly hold dear.

We had big hopes for the stack. It's been an uphill battle since before I started and I'm honored to have helped carried the torch over the years. I've learned more than I can ever explain. Hopefully that will someday translate into blog posts and more conference talks. A part of me isn't completely ready to let go of the dream but Jeremy and I have been talking about this for quite some time now. Personally, I'm glad to see him take a break. This fight has taken its toll on all of us and he deserves a break more than anyone I can think of.

I firmly believe that what started as a framework turned into a philosophy and a vision for how to develop software. We may be giving up this fight but that vision will carry on for the rest of our careers. I do hope that it manifests itself into something else in the future.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to our community. And a big thanks to Jeremy for including me in all of this. It's been quite a journey.

- Josh

Sam Merrell

Mar 28, 2014, 1:32:27 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
​Breaks are good. Thanks for everything you've done Jeremy and I'm really glad I get to work with you and learn from you both directly and from your code.​

-- Sam Merrell

RobertTheGrey

Mar 28, 2014, 2:55:09 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy and Josh,

I can honestly say that I have never experienced as big a shock as when I dug into the Fubu code base for the first time, "So that is C# done right?" is something that kept coming back to me and regardless of project status, that can and will never change. It is a shining example of well thought out, low ceremony code and structure that we will always be able to come back to and learn from - for me that's really what OSS is about - the learning, and I'd like to express a massive amount of gratitude for the learning Jeremy and Josh and everyone else who has contributed have provided me with personally over the last 5 years. It's been a vey rewarding experience and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in having brought a ton of patterns and tricks from the Fubu world into my daily work life to make things tick just that little bit better. In that respect, Fubu has been a massive success in being able to permeate into code bases that are completely unrelated purely because of the high standard you guys have always held it to.

With that said - I hope you have a good break Jeremy, and I look forward to seeing whatever next adventure you decide to take us on.

All the best,
Rob G

Chad Myers

Mar 28, 2014, 8:49:08 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jeremy for all your hard work and dedication. It was a good run and there is much for you to be proud of.

Sincerely,
Chad

Ryan Kelley

Mar 28, 2014, 9:01:39 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

I just want to reiterate what others have said, you have helped me as a developer more in the last 10 years than you'll ever know, and for that I am grateful. This is a project that I am proud to say I use and have been a part of (even though very limited the last few years). Thank you for what you have contributed to the Fubu Community and to the .Net community as a whole.

jdscolam

Mar 28, 2014, 10:53:48 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy,

Wow... Well first of all, thanks.  Everything you have delivered has been better than top notch, and has influenced my career more than I can ever express.  Everyone is right, you have so much to be proud of, and I cannot thank you enough for all your contributions to the .NET community.  I would go so far as to say that you have influenced much of the broader software development community as well.  A break is well deserved, that's for sure.  So thank you, if for nothing else than answering all of my silly and inane questions all the time :).

That being said, permit me to cry in my beer for a sec...

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but as I look at this list, and the people responding to the post, I see basically a "who's who" list of those who have directly and indirectly proven to me that software can be beautiful.  From the concepts of IoC/DI, to real MVC, to what TDD can and should be, to the joys of Resharper; the list of contributions that this group has made to software development is endless.  Frankly, each and every one of you has not only said "Software can be beautiful inside and out," but you have over and over again all directly proven it in concrete code.  Without this group, and the "Alt.NET" movement it came out of, I cannot imagine what the state of software development as a whole would be.  I know my own understanding of what beautiful software is would be sorely lacking.

So for me, this feels like a sad moment.  It almost seems like we are putting a nail in the coffin of the journey we've been on since 2007 or so.  I feel like we are taking a step back from publicly proving, time and time again, that not only can software be done right, it should be done right.  It's like I could always point back to the Fubu guys and say "Hey look, they're doing it right, they've got it, and are getting paid good money to do it right."  Now, it seems like we're giving into the "realities" of work, monetary pressure, and time.

My point is that we can either rally, or fade away.  This announcement can either be a death knell echoed by a small smattering of posts and tweets, or it can be the time that people will point back to and say "that's when they did something REALLY cool!"

I don't know which it will be, but I do know that I owe Jeremy a TON of thanks... and an apology for not giving back enough code and support to keep him from feeling like he had to do it himself for so long.

Thanks for letting me rant guys.

-Jon

Brandon Behrens

Mar 28, 2014, 11:11:44 AM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to echo everything that's been said on this thread.  I learned an incredible amount from you over the last 5 years.  Both working with you directly and your open source work.  You've impressed me time and again, thanks for all your efforts on Fubu and the .NET OS community in general.

Brandon Behrens
512.659.7171 (c)

Rob Reynolds

Mar 28, 2014, 2:19:09 PM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Whoa... definitely agree with all said here. I definitely experience some of those same thoughts from time to time, I think we all do. Thank you for all the hard work you've done in the community over the years and I hope to see some more of that, I've learned a ton from it. :)

Mike O'Brien

Mar 28, 2014, 5:47:01 PM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
Jeremy, sad to hear but understandable. Fubu is a fantastic framework, head and shoulders above the rest. As others have said, I've benefited greatly from SM, Fubu and your blog over the years. You deserve some major credit for all your contributions, thanks for all your hard work. Look forward to seeing what direction you go in down the road, especially with F#!

Steve Hill

Mar 28, 2014, 9:04:48 PM3/28/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
I also wanted to add to the chorus -- thank you for everything, Jeremy.

I'm a newcomer to the stack, but I feel like I've benefited a lot from all the contributions you've made to the community over the years. I started on a legacy .NET project a few months back and quickly found StructureMap and blog posts (almost a decade old!) about making webforms semi-testable. While our project isn't perfect, it's significantly better because of your contributions. And similar to Alistair, I've really enjoyed the time I've spent looking through the Fubu code.

Best,
Steve

Kevin Miller

Mar 31, 2014, 3:46:45 PM3/31/14
to fubumv...@googlegroups.com
I want to say a big giant thank you to Jeremy for everything he’s done with FubuMVC. I always learn a lot when reading Fubu code and usually a very humbling exercise. Thank you for your many assistances with getting things done against the Fubu code base. I surely owe you a few Torchies tacos.

I am really looking forward to 2.0 and more importantly to working with the Fubu community to keep the ball rolling.

KevM