Book Club: The Limits of Expertise

Clark

May 16, 2009, 11:34:03 PM5/16/09
to Ft Worth Aviation Safety Program
I have a favorite book on aviation safety, written by Dr Key Dismukes.
Dr Dismukes and his pals took a look at 19 accidents from 1991-2001.
They looked beyond pilot error for situational factors and found some
common, cross cutting themes. Sure, there were errors made, but this
book challenges us to rethink how we look at cause of mishaps and
error.

I'd like for y'all to check out Chapters 20 and 21 and then see if
anyone is interested in discussing them here. You can look at the book
online for free at google books, and I highly recommend getting your
own personal copy. You can order from Ashgate or Amazon. Here's the
link to google books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mMxaYxhu0l0C&printsec=frontcover#PPA278,M1

We can probably get Key in here to discuss the book with us, he's a
member of the group but very busy, as we all are. I was able to spend
some time with him in DC this week, he was called as an expert witness
by the NTSB for the Colgan Public Hearing. And interestingly enough,
his wife will be testifying at the Public Hearing for US Airways in a
few weeks.

Kent