How do you find aviation information?

Clark

Nov 18, 2009, 10:34:08 AM11/18/09
to Ft Worth Aviation Safety Program
I am working on a project to create an online public access catalog
(OPAC) for the aviation library at the Vintage Flying Museum in Ft
Worth, TX, part of my MLS. Could you take a few minutes for a 5
question survey?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=KuIPToNNgDSphyzNzBTb3w_3d_3d

Thanks!

Kent

Clark

Dec 20, 2009, 5:51:42 PM12/20/09
to Ft Worth Aviation Safety Program
The results of the survey are in, thanks to everyone who responded. I
will leave it open for those who would like to add comments, or post
them here. The next step is to see if a local University will consider
adding the materials to their database, or I use Koha open source
software and build a custom catalog on a server.

Thanks again, Kent

1. Did you know that the Vintage Flying Museum in Ft Worth Texas has
an aviation library with over 800 items (books, videos)? 92% said No

2. Would you be interested in knowing what items were in the library?
73% said Yes

3. If you were able to search an online public access catalog (OPAC)
of the collection, by subject, title or author, would you be
interested in viewing the item, either at the museum, online or
through library loan? 60% said Yes

4. How do you normally search for aviation information? 100% replied
online through a search engine, 3 go to libraries, 2 to a bookstore, 3
to a museum, 1 phones a friend, 2 watch planes fly over, and 1 uses
the shamelessly plugged Signal Charlie custom search engine

5. Please post a 2500 word essay here on "Zen and the Art of Aerospace
Safety," or any thought you may have on the usefulness of an online
public access catalog (OPAC) for small aviation collections.

Here are the "essays" that were posted :)

1. Pretty heavy...I guess that in this day and age, access to data is
what it's all about. An OPAC can't be a bad idea!
2. Current technology can certainly be utilized to allow online access
to collections such as these. I often use ERAU's PRC Online Aviation
Safety and Security Archive (http://prcarc1.erau.edu/index.html) so
another online collection, as you suggest, would be great. Good luck
with the initiative!!
3. Digital access to information is the way to go. It becomes free
advertising, reduces costs of having to host physical bodies for those
only marginally interested, allows easy replication of data, use for
training, etc. Overall, it's a good idea.
4. 2500 words? Kidding right?
I think having any type of access to any informatin can only help to
educate people.
5. Excellent idea.
6. I think it would be useful and add value for the museum visitors.
kl
7. One must go beyond being one with the aircraft, one must be the
aircraft. Ok, 2486 words to go.
I didn't know VFM had a library. It would be interesting to know what
they had, look through it online sometime and then when a question
comes up a couple years down the road, "Oh yeah, VFM had something
about that."
8. A catalog good
Public access outstanding
Get it online soon
9. I had no idea that there was a library at the museum. I would be
very interested in knowing what was there. I use the Public Library's
OPAC all the time and it is very useful. This would be great.
10. I'd like to see more "I learned about flying from this" searchable
by a number of variables.