92A

olivernz

Feb 11, 2009, 4:15:59 PM2/11/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
Hi all,

My Meraki will go offline due to 92A. Everyone that has one live after
the 28th Feb 2009 should make sure he is listed as an ISP and has the
control to eject users. Generally I would say though that 92A has
killed Meraki and all free access WiFi networks in NZ.

92A is just the worst law going in that I've ever seen. 1:0 for the
lobby groups.

I've put up a few links on my blog on the subject...
http://www.erlewein.net/2009/section-92a-of-the-copyright-act/

Cheers
Oliver

Brenda Wallace

Feb 11, 2009, 5:30:41 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else shutting down (or considering shutting down) their AP
becuase of NZ's new laws?
--
No Guilt apon accusation!
http://creativefreedom.org.nz

Robert O'Brien

Feb 11, 2009, 5:34:17 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Not me personally, but the units I have around Tauranga will be. These are businesses (cafes) that can't afford to lose their connection because of the Act's provision. No more free wifi around Tauranga :(

R.

2009/2/12 Brenda Wallace <bre...@coffee.geek.nz>

Anyone else shutting down (or considering shutting down) their AP
becuase of NZ's new laws?

Bruce Hoult

Feb 11, 2009, 5:37:17 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Brenda Wallace <bre...@coffee.geek.nz> wrote:

> Anyone else shutting down (or considering shutting down) their AP
> becuase of NZ's new laws?

No.

Fuck 'em.

There are already plenty of ways you can be harassed or jailed if
those with power decide they don't like you. One more is no reason to
cower like a slave.

Mike Pearson

Feb 11, 2009, 8:11:50 PM2/11/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
Surely this will have implications for the Tomizone and similar
business models too, where people provide wifi and get a slice of the
revenue.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/8870C41E440FD23CCC25755A00152D83

Stuart Maxwell

Feb 11, 2009, 9:02:46 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Bruce on this one (although I'm not currently running any mesh or open hotspots.) I would keep running the mesh networks and deal with any 92a issues that come up as they happen.

Stuart.

Jo Booth - Mesh|net

Feb 11, 2009, 9:25:47 PM2/11/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
I hope the onus is on the accuser to identify the end user that is
performing the act, if anything #S92A is a reason to make more
networks that don't know about their users. If every AP is a
Downstream ISP and Users are using DHCP and have no accounts, who are
we to keep logs...? Maybe I should point the webcam out on the street
again to catch the driveby users? Is that reasonable effort?

On Feb 12, 3:02 pm, Stuart Maxwell <stuart.maxw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm with Bruce on this one (although I'm not currently running any mesh or
> open hotspots.) I would keep running the mesh networks and deal with any 92a
> issues that come up as they happen.
>
> Stuart.

Jo Booth - Mesh|net

Feb 11, 2009, 9:36:40 PM2/11/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
In fact DHCP leases self terminate after a set period. Issues
solved :P Pass the "Education Notice" back up the chain as a “Disputed
Education Notice"

An Account: "c) internet access or hosting of any nature that that
User controls themselves"
<http://www.tcf.org.nz/library/2e53bf81-
d6c4-4735-9ed0-740e8b2c6af3.cmr>

"“a person who does either or both of the following things:
(a) offers the transmission, routing, or providing of connections for
digital online communications, between or
among points specified by a user, of material of the user’s choosing:
(b) hosts material on websites or other electronic retrieval systems
that can be accessed by a user.”"

Bring back solar powered Mesh nodes in Trees. "It ain't my cloud"

-Jo
Mesh|net
Connecting Communities

On Feb 12, 3:25 pm, "Jo Booth - Mesh|net" <jo-goo...@mangee.net.nz>

Mike P

Feb 11, 2009, 10:04:51 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Actually how does this apply for any wireless network with unauthenticated users?

Some examples that come to mind:

(1) I'm thinking that Webstock 2009 will probably have 400-500 users, at the Town Hall.  Unless you give each user an individual account, you'd have no way of knowing who does what.  Who would be liable, Webstock, the Town Hall, the Town Hall's ISP?

(2) The Peoples Network at public libraries, offering wireless so you can take your own laptop.  They would have to manage each individual library user and give them an account, to maintain accountability.

(3) Cafenet.  Cafenet requires a credit card and an email address (is that right)?  Presumably I can use a NZ Post prezzie card and a hotmail account.  In which case I'm unauthenticated.

Does this mean we'll have no public wireless anywhere, anymore?

Rimu Atkinson

Feb 11, 2009, 10:17:17 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com

> Does this mean we'll have no public wireless anywhere, anymore?

It's not just wireless. What about internet cafes? If I go and download
stuff, using their computers, wouldn't the internet cafe get cut off?

Jo Booth - Mesh|net

Feb 11, 2009, 10:33:19 PM2/11/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
No, they as a "Downstream ISP" can pass the "Education Notice" onto
the "User" - assuming they have your credit card details handy - or
just send it back saying that they aren't the "Infringer"

(the quoted terms are from the http://www.tcf.org.nz/copyright stuff
in the ISP Draft Code of Practice.)

IANAL. ;)

Brenda Wallace

Feb 11, 2009, 10:46:57 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com

depends on your ISP -- and whether the accuser is also following the TCF code.
reading orcon's statements it sounds like disputing the accusation
counts for nothing... 4 accusations and gone.
http://www.orcon.net.nz/about/article/section_92a_-_what_does_it_mean_for_you

Mike Brown

Feb 11, 2009, 10:54:44 PM2/11/09
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Mike P <zoomzo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually how does this apply for any wireless network with unauthenticated
> users?
>
> Some examples that come to mind:
>
> (1) I'm thinking that Webstock 2009 will probably have 400-500 users, at the
> Town Hall. Unless you give each user an individual account, you'd have no
> way of knowing who does what. Who would be liable, Webstock, the Town Hall,
> the Town Hall's ISP?

You're assuming wi-fi will be working at Webstock :P

Of course it will be!

> (2) The Peoples Network at public libraries, offering wireless so you can
> take your own laptop. They would have to manage each individual library
> user and give them an account, to maintain accountability.
>
> (3) Cafenet. Cafenet requires a credit card and an email address (is that
> right)? Presumably I can use a NZ Post prezzie card and a hotmail account.
> In which case I'm unauthenticated.
>
> Does this mean we'll have no public wireless anywhere, anymore?

Or provide public wi-fi and be prepared to highlight the absurdity of
things if this is challenged.

Mike

olivernz

Feb 12, 2009, 6:45:23 PM2/12/09
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
Hey Jo,

The act clearly states that if the ISP cannot/will not act on the
accusation the ISP is liable for the infringement (and will be cut
off). i.e. that means the last person down the blame-line will be the
one that pays for it. If you get caught out not being able to pass the
blame on....

In general I'd strongly advise to switch Merakis off. At least until
the legal situation becomes a little clearer. Because of 92A a LOT of
people will be looking for these WiFi connections so they can continue
downloading. I can't even imagine the poor people that don't even know
their home WiFi has something like encryption....

Cheers Oliver