Broadband Investment Fund

1 view

Mike P

May 26, 2008, 3:01:37 AM5/26/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone interested in writing a business case to develop an open source distributed system to run a NZ mesh network?

We've talked about the idea at our meetings, whereby people could add their node to a server; the payback being they can advertise their products/services on their local node.

Funding would be required for the writing of the server code, the firmware, and probably the ongoing running of a server.

If we wrote our own code, we could make it suit NZ conditions ie let the user set a download cap for their node.

From http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/52C8FF6B76940097CC25745100729771

Applicant support services will be separate from decision-making. Independent evaluations will be made of proposals against criteria and a process audit will be conducted at the end of each year, the documents say.
Applications will be made in two stages, an EOI stage (expressions of interest), requiring a preliminary applications and outline. From here applicants will be selected to make a full application. This is expected to require a full business case.

Expressions of interest open at the end of July and these have to be submitted to the Ministry of Economic Development by the end of August. Decisions on the EOIs will be made by the end of October and full applications have to be submitted by March 2009.

Applicants will be informed of funding decisions in June 2009.

~mike

Robert O'Brien

May 26, 2008, 4:26:38 AM5/26/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com