Recent FTN Aotearoa Meeting

Jeremy Wilson

Apr 6, 2008, 5:15:55 PM4/6/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Thanks for having Murray and I along to the last meeting. It’s awesome to see the project progressing. I am in the development stages of a product that is designed to run on an urban mesh Wi-Fi network and I would like to help where possible to make Wellington wireless.

I look forward to the next stage.

Jeremy Wilson

Tentacle Media

Creative HQ

Level 4, 25a Marion Street

Wellington 6011

+64 21 827 487

jer...@tentacle.co.nz

Recent Press: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4336583a13.html

Rimu

Apr 6, 2008, 6:09:08 PM4/6/08
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
There are meetings?

Mike P

Apr 6, 2008, 10:35:04 PM4/6/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Jeremy was at a meeting of TFNWellington, which is a small group of ICT industry people talking about setting up TheFreeNet in Wellington.  I'd call it the "top-down" approach, organising large-scale sponsorship.

FTNAotearoa is the "bottom-up" approach with individuals donating their bandwidth.  Anyone on this FTNAotearoa list could set up a meeting if needed.

I think the next opportunity for a meeting would be Barcamp Mobile - there's some activity to organise a venue in the next month or so.  So keep your eyes on that list: http://barcamp.org.nz/mobile

~mike

olivernz

Apr 7, 2008, 9:46:23 PM4/7/08
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
I'd have thought that TFN meetings would be announced and anybody who
wanted could take part?! Please make them open source in the future.
Thanks.

As for Barcamp mobile, I think it would be a great idea to go there
with TFN. There seems to be no date and place yet though. I'll see
what they need and if I can organise that for them.

Cheers
Oliver

On Apr 7, 2:35 pm, "Mike P" <zoomzoom.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy was at a meeting of TFNWellington, which is a small group of ICT
> industry people talking about setting up TheFreeNet in Wellington.  I'd call
> it the "top-down" approach, organising large-scale sponsorship.
>
> FTNAotearoa is the "bottom-up" approach with individuals donating their
> bandwidth.  Anyone on this FTNAotearoa list could set up a meeting if
> needed.
>
> I think the next opportunity for a meeting would be Barcamp Mobile - there's
> some activity to organise a venue in the next month or so.  So keep your
> eyes on that list:http://barcamp.org.nz/mobile
>
> ~mike

Donald Gordon

Apr 9, 2008, 4:06:45 PM4/9/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Ah. That would certainly explain the rather large gap between what
friends had told me of the project and what's actually happening on the
list...

donald

Mike P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy was at a meeting of TFNWellington, which is a small group of
> ICT industry people talking about setting up TheFreeNet in
> Wellington. I'd call it the "top-down" approach, organising
> large-scale sponsorship.
>
> FTNAotearoa is the "bottom-up" approach with individuals donating
> their bandwidth. Anyone on this FTNAotearoa list could set up a
> meeting if needed.
>
> I think the next opportunity for a meeting would be Barcamp Mobile -
> there's some activity to organise a venue in the next month or so. So
> keep your eyes on that list: http://barcamp.org.nz/mobile
>
> ~mike
>

> On 4/7/08, *Rimu* <rimuat...@gmail.com

> <mailto:rimuat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> There are meetings?
>
> On Apr 7, 9:15 am, "Jeremy Wilson" <jer...@tentacle.co.nz

> <mailto:jer...@tentacle.co.nz>> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Thanks for having Murray and I along to the last meeting. It's
> awesome to
> > see the project progressing. I am in the development stages of a
> product
> > that is designed to run on an urban mesh Wi-Fi network and I
> would like to
> > help where possible to make Wellington wireless.
> >
> > I look forward to the next stage.
> >
> > Jeremy Wilson
> >
> > Tentacle Media
> >
> > Creative HQ
> >
> > Level 4, 25a Marion Street
> >
> > Wellington 6011
> >
> > +64 21 827 487
> >

> > jer...@tentacle.co.nz <mailto:jer...@tentacle.co.nz>
> >
> > Recent Press:http://www.stuff.co.nz/4336583a13.html

Rimu Atkinson

Apr 9, 2008, 11:22:35 PM4/9/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
oh... tell me if i have the wrong end of the stick here, but:

why would people donate their bandwidth to a small group of ICT industry people?

where's the 'community' aspect in that?

Phone (04) 381 4827 or 021 823 129
Skype rimu123
MSN rimuat...@msn.com
ICQ 60417596
Yahoo rimu_atkinson
http://rimu.geek.nz/

Mike P

Apr 9, 2008, 11:43:51 PM4/9/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Ok, You've got the wrong end of the stick

Its a small group of Wellington ICT industry people talking about supporting TheFreeNet in Wellington.

Webstock has committed $5k for devices, GOVIS has committed $9k, etc.

~mike

Rimu Atkinson

Apr 10, 2008, 12:34:58 AM4/10/08
to ftnao...@googlegroups.com
Ah Cool :-D

Did you tell them that you now need 3 times more money because the prices of devices tripled?

olivernz

Apr 10, 2008, 12:58:23 AM4/10/08
to TheFreeNet - Aotearoa
@Mike:
Maybe this is something for a discussion on this months Sunday BarCamp
(http://www.barcamp.org.nz/wiki-home). Since we're "hacking Meraki"
there. I do see some need to react as TFN.

Cheers Oliver

@Rimu: Anyone can use the TFN the last time I looked and I think it's
somewhat normal that developments like this get kick-started by ICT
folk first. The guys that organised the funding deserve a great thanks
from all of us for doing so! I know it's not an easy task getting
somebody to pay for something like this.