How do you get all your gear and robot to WSR?

suzann...@yahoo.com

Feb 26, 2018, 1:49:46 AM2/26/18
to FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional
Hi All,
This is our teams first time attending West Super-Regional - we are super excited to be a part of this event. We are coming up from NorCal/San Francisco area.

Please can you share your tips / methods / advice on how to transport all our tools, gear and robot to Spokane. The team is planning to fly up...and we are hoping to ship our stuff on our flight - has anyone done this? Is there a better way to do it?

All input and suggestions are welcome,
Thank you,
Suzanne
Coach TigerBots FTC#7593

Heidi Lovett

Feb 27, 2018, 1:30:52 AM2/27/18
to FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional
Congratulations to your team!

When our teams travel by plane, we just pack "robot" luggage (in suitcases owned by team members) and team members are required to only do carry on for their personal items so that the robot luggage is included as our checked luggage. Every team member shares the cost for the checked baggage. Other teams will divide up the stuff and each team member is responsible to pack those items in their personal luggage. Also be sure you weigh the luggage prior to going to the airport - stay under 50 lbs or be prepared to pay a hefty fee for the luggage. Pare down as much as you can and remember that there are local teams and support crew at the event in case you have motors, etc that fail.

If you have time, build a robot box with wheels for the robot. Our box has removable wheels so that when we get to the airport, we can take them off and put them in a suitcase, but it is easier to transport.  The box also doubles as our "cart" during matches. It is super useful. Whatever you do, DO NOT bolt the robot to the box. I have seen more robots get seriously damaged by doing that.

An alternative solution would be to see if another team is driving and has room to transport your team equipment. You could offer to pay some of the gas for the trip.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Heidi Lovett
Coach, FTC 417 SKID

Suzanne Doria

Feb 27, 2018, 1:30:52 AM2/27/18
to Patti Poston, FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional
Thank you for the advice Patti! It's very helpful as we figure this all out!

We really appreciate it - are you going to West Super Regionals?
Suzanne

On Monday, February 26, 2018, 9:25:44 AM PST, Patti Poston <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

Just what our team did:
We packed the robot up - built a box for it just enough to fit and keep it off its wheels.  Then we checked it at the counter and yep it cost us $75 each way to fly it.

The rest of our stuff we divided up between all team members.  We flew Southwest so each team member had 2 bags they could check and they could also do a carry on.

So we had tools, parts, pit decorations and all in large bags that we checked and then some of us had a carry on bag.  You could even have someone check an ez-up as one of their luggages.  We had 7 team members plus parents and coaches so we had a lot of people.

I hope that helps - at the time we were the Enterprisers 5326 - BTW we had a blast with your team at Folsom!

Patti
Coach 5326 Enterprisers
and
11574 Sonic Screwdrivers

--
Learn more at http://www.ftcwest.org
---

Patti Poston

Patti Poston

Jim Poston

Feb 27, 2018, 1:30:52 AM2/27/18
to FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional, suzann...@yahoo.com, PPo...@mm.st
On 25 Feb 2018 at 20:13, 'suzann...@yahoo.com' via FIRST Tech C
wrote:

> Please can you share your tips / methods / advice on how to transport all
> our tools, gear and robot to Spokane. The team is planning to fly up...and
> we are hoping to ship our stuff on our flight - has anyone done this? Is
> there a better way to do it?

Have a driving competition: the person who gets the fewest glyphs in the
two cryptoboxes in 2 minutes has to drive! ;-)

If you're flying Southwest, you can take advantage of the 2 free checked
bags policy and distribute stuff amongst your team. No self-respecting
robot team member needs two bags plus carryons for their clothing to go
to a 4-day tournament!

Watch the weight though; over 50 lbs is a double major penalty ($75), and
maybe a yellow card.

--
Jim Poston
FTC Competition Manager, FIRST Nevada

Patti Poston

Feb 27, 2018, 1:30:52 AM2/27/18
to Suzanne Doria, FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional
Hi,

Yes, my new team FTC Team 11574, Sonic Screwdrivers made it to West Super regionals so we will see you there.  Super excited for supers!
Here is a link to the teams so far advancing with infor about each team.  Tesla Robotics from Idaho made this for us.

--
Patti Poston

Suzanne Doria

Feb 27, 2018, 9:48:30 PM2/27/18
to Patti Poston, FIRST Tech Challenge West Super-Regional
Thank you! This is super helpful :)
See you there,
Suzanne
TigerBots #7593