Tuesday Newsday - August 31 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Aug 31, 2021, 8:34:55 PM8/31/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season. New information is shown in blue text.

HEADLINE: REMOTE SESSIONS ON THE HORIZON

Wednesday, September 1st             LAUNCH OF WEDS NITE “ADVANCED PROGRAMMING SERIES” (7-8 Weds Nights)

Thursday, September 2nd                NEW COACH MEETING – (for Veteran or Rookie Teams) – Reviewing the Coaches Playbook

Friday, September 3rd                      MONTHLY COACHES CAUCUS – Continued Coping with COVID & Pre-Season Event Discussion

More detail on all of the above appears later in this document.

Quick Links:

Team Status

Communications

Competition News

Pre-Season Events

Remote Sessions

FTCNJ News

FIRST News Items

    TEAM STATUS

Registration Status

Currently, 151 teams have either registered their team with FIRST or have advised FTCNJ that they are definitely planning to re-register.

That’s up from 142 teams, this time last week!

Are you helping to recruit other teams or considering starting one yourself? If we can help in any way, please drop us a line. We want to grow FTCNJ!

FTCNJ holding two Outreach events in September (09/25 in Newark and 09/26 in Egg Harbor).

We are looking for teams to help and/or bring prospects with them. More detail in “Outreach Scrimmages” , below.

Welcome New Teams!!

FTCNJ would like to give a warm welcome to all of the new teams joining our FTC community …

Four more brand-new teams registered. See below.

The New Coach Meeting on Thursday night is definitely timely! Hope to see many there.

19476                 JFI                                       Somerset

19477                 Bit by Bit                            Tenafly

19569                 Robosapiens                     Metuchen

19719                 RE-ENFORCERS                 Egg Harbor Twp

19722                 Panthers                            Clifton

19735                 HRNT                                  Holmdel

19747                 KABHOOM                        Edison

19772                 PSA Beta                            Princeton Junction

19784                 Robotribe                          Rahway

19802                 Team Wakanda Newark

19822                 Firehex                Princeton Junction

19823                 Jolly Blue                           Bloomfield

League/Conference Assignments

Here again are the current League and Conference assignment by county of team registration.

North East Edge League

      Bergen Conference: All Bergen County

      North East Conference: Hudson, Union Counties

Northern League

      South Essex Conference: Essex County cities of Orange, East Orange, Glen Ridge, Newark, Maplewood

      Far North Conference: Passaic, Sussex, Warren Counties, and Essex County cities of Nutley, Montclair, Caldwell, Livingston, West Orange

Central West League

      Western Conference: Hunterdon, Morris Counties

      Central Conference: Mercer, Somerset Counties

Southern League

      Upper South Conference: Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean Counties

      Deep South Conference: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem Counties

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW

Here is an excerpt from a recent “Coaches Caucus”. This video describes the structure of New Jersey’s Leagues and Conferences.

It also shares dates and some details about the Championship, League Tournaments and 3 official Meet Competition opportunities per team.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1noXO8QSZ0MkvDrdhDen8gM32bYOgcJyP/view?usp=sharing

Also, the FTCNJ Season Overview slide set, presented at last Saturday’s Workshop, has now been posted on the FTCNJ Website under “Upcoming Events”

COMMUNICATIONS

Coach Survey

Thanks very much to all of the Coaches who have responded to the “Coaches Survey”. It is helping us to compile the new season information and solidify the plans.

It is not too late to let your voice be heard. We check for new input and updates regularly.  https://forms.gle/Zd9V84WpzP3kjFT59

New Coaches                   (Thurs, Sept 2nd)

Rookie Team Coaches, Coach Prospects and New Coaches on Veteran Teams are cordially invited.

We will climb through the “Coaches Playbook” and experienced coaches will expound upon the guidance given by FIRST in this very useful document.

Here is the link for the September 2nd New Coaches Meeting (7pm) https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAudOGorDMjHtQSXP69HdbpONoF90_hyonK

Coach Caucus                  (Friday, Sept 3rd)

All Coaches and Mentors are encouraged to attend these monthly sessions. It is a great way to share information and learn from others.

The next Coaches Caucus is Sept 3rd (the first-Friday of the month)  https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIscOmsrTguGdFFELRv6VaK7U1MpuDGt0tP

Lessons learned from last year’s COVID-unique season will be discussed. Coaches will share their forward plans for the Freight Frenzy Season.

Other topics include … Pre-Season Events explained in more detail, the new Driver Station Hub, and plans for the coming Game Reveal.

Captains Caucus             (Thurs, Sept 16th)

For those unacquainted, the monthly student-led meeting is an opportunity for student Team Leaders / Captains to meet and share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used and various leadership challenges and great ideas are discussed and documented. Coaches are strongly urged to send their leaders.

Strong and well-informed student leaders make for strong and sustainable teams. Communication and sharing are the key.

Here’s the link to the first Captains Caucus of the Freight Frenzy season: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEucuiqrTwuH9D_usFf2SuxXph5MyGliZ5u

COMPETITION NEWS

       Per usual, coaches may select/register for their competitions on the Monday following Kick-Off (e.g., Sept 20th) using the system on the FTCNJ Website.

It is understood that all competitions are presently planned to be in-person events, but subject to change if pandemic conditions make it necessary.

We’ll keep everyone posted of any change, and all events will have a re-confirmation date 2 weeks prior to the event date.

The Season Calendar is updated on the FTCNJ Website to show event dates by League. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/season-calendar.html

Note: Certain venues are not yet confirmed. For a few events, teams may need to register for a TBD location, but the date and venue type will be set.

FTCNJ will continue to work on Event Confirmations. (Note - FTCNJ is always interested in teams that would like to pursue hosting, now or in the future.)

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

FIRST has announced that the World Championship will be held in Detroit: April 27 - April 30, 2022

League Tournament Plans

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

Here are the latest plans. Locations shown, where confirmed.

Feb  5th...........Southern League / Upper South Conference……………….Timothy Christian School, Piscataway, NJ

Feb  6th…………Northeast Edge League / Northeast Conference………….Bayonne High School, Bayonne, NJ

Feb 12th………..Northern League / Southern Essex Conference……………Payne Tech, Newark, NJ

Feb 13th………..Central West League/ Central Conference………………….Hightstown High School, Hightstown, NJ

Feb 19th………..Central West League/ Western Conference………….……Pending Host Confirmation (Morris County)

Feb 20th………..Northern League / Far North Conference…………………...Livingston High School, Livingston, NJ

Feb 26th………..Northeast Edge League / Bergen Conference……………..Glen Rock High School, Glen Rock, NJ

Feb 27th………..Southern League/ Deep South Conference…………………North Burlington Middle School, Columbus, NJ

8 League Meets – in January

There will be two Meet opportunities for each League in January. Teams have a choice of a Saturday Meet (underlined) or Sunday Meet.

It is also intended that four of our January (Saturday) Meets (one in each League) will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments

Jan  8th………..Northern League / Either Conference……………………………Liberty Science Center, Jersey City, NJ

Jan  9th………..Central West League / Either Conference……………….…….Pingry School (Basking Ridge or Bedminster Campus)

Jan 15th.……...Northeast Edge League / Either Conference…………………Pending Host Confirmation (Bergen County)

Jan 16th……….Southern League / Either Conference…………………………..Egg Harbor Twp PAL, Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Jan 22nd……….Central West League/ Either Conference………………………Chatham High School, Chatham, NJ

Jan 23rd……....Northern League / Either Conference…………………………..Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ ß Now Officially Confirmed J

Jan 29th……….Southern League / Either Conference…………………………..RW Johnson Barnabas Health Arena, Toms River, NJ

Jan 30th……….Northeast Edge League / Either Conference………………….Emerson High School, Emerson, NJ

8 League Meets – in November / December

There will be two normal Meet opportunities in each League in the period of Nov 20 – Dec 19. Teams have a choice of a Saturday or Sunday Meet.

Four of our Nov/Dec (Sunday) Meets (one in each League) will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments

Nov 20th………..Northeast Edge League / Either Conference………………….Pending Host Confirmation (Bergen County)

Nov 21st………..Central West League/ Either Conference………………….…..Soliciting New Host: Central-West League

Dec  4th ………..Northern League / Either Conference…………….…….………Essex County Technical School, Caldwell, NJ

Dec  5th ………..Southern League / Either Conference……………………….….Williamstown High School, Williamstown NJ

Dec 11th………..Central West League/ Either Conference………………………Soliciting New Host: Central-West League

Dec 12th………..Northeast Edge League / Either Conference…………….…..Union County Host is Conditionally Confirmed (confirming in Sept)

Dec 18th………..Southern League / Either Conference…………………………..Clearview Regional High School, Mullica Hill, NJ

Dec 19th………..Northern League / Either Conference………………………….. Pending Host Confirmation (TBD)

Note: If FTCNJ cannot find hosts for the Central-West events within their League area, we will soon ask for hosting assist from an adjacent League.

8 Special Meets – 4 Early November Meets & 4 Holiday Meets (Halloween & Thanksgiving Weekend)

FTC NJ is continuing the tradition of offering each League one more special Meet opportunity. Many teams have taken advantage of this in past years.

The spooky Halloween Meets are always extra fun for those ready for the first competitions of the season. (October 30th / 31st)

The long four-day Thanksgiving weekend provides an opportunity for an additional official Meet on Saturday or Sunday.

Nov 06th ………..Southern League / Either Conference…………………………Pending Host Confirmation (Gloucester)

Nov 07th ………..Northern League / Either Conference……….…………..….. Essex County Host is Conditionally Confirmed (confirming Size Rqmts)

Nov 13th…….….Northeast Edge League / Either Conference……..…………Don Bosco Prep HS, Ramsey, NJ

Nov 14th………..Central-West League / Either Conference…………...…….. Pending Host Confirmation (TBD)

Oct 30th ………..Northern League / Either Conference…………………………Lenape Regional High School, 28 Sparta Road, Stanhope, NJ

Oct 31st ………..Northeast Edge League / Either Conference……….….…..Pending Host Confirmation (Union)

Nov 27th……….Central-West League / Either Conference……………………Pending Host Confirmation (Morris)

Nov 28th………..Southern League / Either Conference………………….……..Girl Scouts ‘Program Activity Center’, Farmingdale, NJ

PRE-SEASON EVENTS

PRACTICE DAYS

The FTCNJ tradition of October Practice Days will continue. Three are planned. Teams can bring non-functional robots for tinkering and help.

Training sessions planned at Practice Days ..but expanded over past years.

Two of three venues have confirmed. See below. Registration by Coaches can take place now. Space is limited. Sign-up soon, if interested.

Registration may be found on the FTCNJ Website; scroll down on the “Upcoming Events” page.   http://www.newjerseyftc.com/upcoming-events.html

                Event Description    (Team Arrival ~8:30;    Day Ends ~3pm)

§  At a Practice Day, FTCNJ will have a physical field available for review. (Good to check it out and make sure yours is set up correctly)

§  We’ll review season planning and we’ll have one, or more, Head Referees available to talk about the “Freight Frenzy” Game.

§  There will be ‘pit tables’ available on which teams can tinker and get help in making their robot move for the first time, as needed.

§  Sites are providing a few classrooms for some in-season training in build, programming, CAD ….  We know that some teams have later-joining members.

§  Space limited at some locations due to social distancing/headcount constraints.

Oct 9th………...Northern NJ Teams (prioritized, others possible)……….Grace Church / Bethlehem Campus, Route 10W, Randolph, NJ.

Oct 16th………..Central NJ Teams (prioritized, others possible)……...….Pending Host Confirmation (Somerset County)

Oct 23rd………..Southern NJ Teams (prioritized, others possible)……….RW Johnson Barnabas Health Arena, Toms River, NJ.

OUTREACH SCRIMMAGES

Outreach Scrimmages help to recruit and acclimate new teams. Two are planned. Training robots are loaned to help prospective teams experience a competition.

Two venues have confirmed. See below. Registration by Coaches can take place now. Space is limited. Sign-up soon, if interested.

Registration may be found on the FTCNJ Website; scroll down on the “Upcoming Events” page.   http://www.newjerseyftc.com/upcoming-events.html

Event Description    (Veteran Team Arrival ~8:30;    Guest Arrival 9am;    Day Ends ~3pm)

·       If your team is doing outreach and helping another school to make the decision to start a team, this event can really help.

·       We’ll be providing an overview of FTC, get assistance (including possible demos) from some great veteran teams.

·       By “scrimmaging” we will give new folks a chance to drive a loaner robot. Veteran teams will help new people with the loaner bots.

·       It’s all about helping new teams and new members to engage.

Are you looking to help FTC NJ grow? Want to strengthen your Connect activity/resume?

Here’s a great opportunity. Come to an official Outreach Scrimmage and help spread the word!

Sep 25th………..Northern NJ …..  Bard High School Early College, Newark, NJ

Sep 26th………..Southern NJ …..  Egg Harbor Township PAL, Egg Harbor Township, NJ

REMOTE SESSIONS

Advanced Programming – September 1st  (7pm)

              Some will recall weekly “Advanced Programming Sessions” hosted by FTA John McDonnell last Fall. We are bringing them back, by popular demand.

              Similar to the Fall, we will be reaching out to some of the top teams, including Control Award Winners, to show some of their best stuff!

              This will be regular 8pm Wednesday session for 6-8 weeks, while some creative and very successful coding shared by our great programmers.

              The first session explains the approach, solicits topics of most interest, and provides useful info on Version Control, GitHub, and general advanced topics.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwsdO2upj0jGNzTaHpr8n-3spZYoDI_gixw

Coming Soon! … “Coach & Team Topics”

FTCNJ is planning to present some very useful content that we could not squeeze into the September 21st Workshops at Kean University.

Over the course of several nights, the offerings will include “Effective Presentations”, “Judge Awards” “Competition Day Expectations”, “Scouting”, …

Descriptions, dates and registration links to be shown here … on next Tuesday’s Newsletter.

FTCNJ News

Kick-Off / Game Reveal

Game Reveal will take place on Saturday, September 18th. FTCNJ will livestream a Remote Kick-Off event, similar to last year.

Thanks once again to RJ Controls for agreeing to host the virtual Kick-Off Event and livestream it to our teams and their supporters.

Event Description

·       We would start our FTCNJ Livestream at 11:30 on Sept 18th. That is when we will go live on your YouTube Channel:

o    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCbtQj4_vHrGAVAWcW0OVg/videos

·       FTCNJ will present Season Schedule update, if any, … as well as New Jersey specific information.

·       At Noon, all will switch over to the FIRST Kick-Off Remote Event. (We’ll post the URL for those not having it.)

·       After FIRST’s various Kick-Off presentations (beginning at Noon), they will Game Reveal ~1pm.

·       Interested folks can re-join the FTCNJ Livestream after the Game Reveal

o   We’ll show the Game Animation again, our Head Refs will service basic questions.

o   We’ll also show the physical field, provide construction tips and mistakes to avoid … and take questions.

Coach Seeking A Team

We have the good fortune of a very experienced coach moving from VA to New Jersey!

She is currently interested in coaching a team in Monmouth or Middlesex Counties.

Having been a coach since the 2016, Cassie has taken teams to the VA State Championship 4 of 4 years, and won 2nd place for the Compass Award.

She also has participated & organized many ground breaking outreach opportunities, a proud LGBTQ+ Ally, and is the Women in Engineering and Science New Jersey Regional Ambassador with her employer.

If your team is looking for some solid coaching expertise, in-person or remote, reach out quickly to roboticsw...@gmail.com

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it. This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

For anyone thinking of starting a brand new FIRST Tech Challenge rookie team, $500 rookie grants available!

Teams that haven’t yet registered for the 2021-2022 and are located in North America are eligible! Learn more on FIRST’s  grants webpage!

Kickoff Sweepstakes

FIRST Tech Challenge announced their kickoff sweepstakes on August 18. Four winners will receive a 2021-2022 FREIGHT FRENZY partial game set and scoring elements. Having the elements used at official competitions, can help teams: ​strategize game-play tactics, get hands-on experience with FREIGHT FRENZY game elements, ​program your robot to exact field specifications, ​and run practice matches ​

Teams need to complete their 2021-2022 FIRST Tech Challenge team season registration before September 15, 2021 for a chance to win the 2021 Kickoff Sweepstakes. ​If a team has already completed their FIRST Tech Challenge season registration, they are already entered into the sweepstakes. ​The sweepstakes prize package includes one (1) 2021-2022 FIRST Tech Challenge season FREIGHT FRENZY partial game set and scoring elements, a total approximate retail value of $260.00. The package does not include field perimeter or soft tiles. ​The information can be found here.

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue!)

Our next newsletter will be on September 1st

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey