FTCNJ Tuesday Newsday - July 19 2022 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Jul 19, 2022, 10:16:34 PM7/19/22
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday, FIRST Tech Challenge NJ

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

This email is being sent to everyone on the existing Newsletter Distribution list.

As always, you can very easily opt-out from receiving it. (See that process at the bottom of this email.)

Or, if you wish to suspend distribution during the off-season, simply send that note to this address and we’ll omit you until September.

Otherwise, the newsletter will coming out on Tuesdays (typically)

Remember that the updates are shown in blue bold text.

If you are a weekly reader, you can just quickly scan the BLUE to see what is NEW.

The black text is included for completeness sake and for our new readers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

              Headlines:

Control Hub – Supply Chain Challenge

We are aware of the FIRST notification regarding the difficulty in obtaining Control Hubs for the coming season.

This will particularly affect our rookies. Veteran teams should already have Control Hubs, and/or Expansion Hubs, and perhaps spares.

FIRST has issued a call for veteran teams to graciously “share a spare” and advise their PDP (i.e., FTCNJ) if they are able to loan their spare.

Beyond that FTCNJ is creating a pool of spare Expansion Hubs that can be loaned to a rookie, or a  Donor/Loaner veteran team overnight, in a pinch.

In addition to the Gracious Professional aspect of “sharing a spare”, FTCNJ is offering a discount on the season fee for our accepted Donor/Loaner veteran teams.

We will be watching the supply chain situation closely and constructing a Donor/Loaner List of interested teams.

Details (as promised): Our 5-Point Plan

1.       FTCNJ is compiling a list of teams that are willing to be Donor/Loaners. (That means lending your spare Expansion Module into our pool for rookie teams.)

2.       FTCNJ will match the need of the rookies with the maintenance of the pool. Responding veteran teams (based on date stamp) will be asked so send in their Hub, as the need is determined.

3.       Any team which is officially requested to loan their Hub, and does so, will receive 50% off of next year’s FTCNJ Season Fee.

4.       If a team that has loaned its spare Expansion Hub suddenly finds themselves in urgent need of one, FTCNJ will ship an emergency replacement.

5.       At season’s end, or when the Controller Hub situation is resolved, Expansion Hubs will be sent back to all teams who graciously loaned one.

              If your team has a spare Expansion Hub and is interested in getting onto the Donor/Loaner List, please write back to vfras...@aol.com  Thanks

In-Person Event Policy

Last year, among other things, FTCNJ had a “mask mandate” in place; this season we are considering “Masks Optional” unless required by the venue.

We will defer to the venue and pass along any other requirements, as they are known. FTCNJ events will comply with any tighter requirements set forth by the venue.

While spectators will be allowed this year, headcount limits may be in place for smaller venues based on team count and space.

Hoping for a continuation of a return to normal during the coming season.

Quick Links:

Outreach Scrimmages

Competition News – Event Site Updates, etc

FTCNJ News – Game Manual Release…

OFF-SEASON ACTIVITIES

In-Person Workshops

Kean University has confirmed that FTCNJ may hold the Workshop there again this year … on August 20th.

The date of the second In-Person Workshop has been set to September 24th.

We are pleased to announce that Moorestown Friends School has confirmed as Workshops host (for the 5th time ? J)

              Workshop Pre-registration Information has been sent to all Coaches (of record) of the Freight Frenzy (last) season.

              We are collecting responses on Aug 20th and Sept 24th Track interest. 2022 Summer Event Pre-Registration (google.com)

              If you are a FTCNJ coach who has not yet responded, please do so soon, or reach out to us asap.

              After a short delay (sorry), the Workshop Registration Form (including heads/track request) will be available by week’s end via the FTCNJ website.

Remote Workshops

It has been decided to conduct these remote offerings in Sept/Oct when more teams have organized and more members are available.

This approach will help us to focus on the July Outreaches and August In-Person Workshops now.

Central NJ Outreach Scrimmage

On Sunday, July 17th, veteran team members and rookie team members participated in a nifty scrimmage at Highland Park.

The Owls of Highland Park did a great job as a first-time host. Seven Alliances (each with a tournament bot and a rookie bot) competed.

Tech-tonic of East Brunswick led the day’s Winning Alliance; as their veterans and rookies put up 567 points.

The Finalist Alliance, was comprised of “Short Circuits” and “Simply Complex” veterans and rookies. Very strong! All four PSA teams supported the event!

At day’s start, veterans described their robots, then “Extreme Freight Frenzy” rules were explained, robot mods were made, and the battle begun.

Thanks to all who made the day such a success ….great host, teams and volunteers!

Remaining FTCNJ-Driven Outreach Scrimmages

Here are the dates/locations of the remaining Outreaches. You can see the Host Teams.

Shown are the Veteran Teams who have expressed interest in lending a hand. We need 4-5 teams per event, including the host teams.

More solicitations are pending. Can your team lend a hand, or equally important bring new people to the FTC Outreach?

There is still time/space, especially for the July 23rd Outreach Scrimmage. Please reach out to us, if interested.

§  Northern NJ Outreach (Saturday, 7/23)

§  Randolph (Home of Host: Cruise Control)

§  Veteran Teams: Those Guys, Fatal Error, Reboot, Delta V

§  Southern NJ Outreach (Sunday, 7/24)

§  Egg Harbor Township (Home of the Host: Enforcers/Re-Enforcers)

§  Veteran Teams: RoboTech Anomaly, WAGS, Bravenators, Watt NXT

We are interested in other “leads”. Is your team involved in helping a new team start? Starting a sister team?

                            These Outreaches orient new folks to FTC  … AND provide some game play experience via tailored “Freight Frenzy”

Here’s an overview:

·       At the start of the day, there is a brief FTC Orientation, then veteran teams explain last year’s game their robot.

·       Having 1-2 of veteran team members describe their robot and their thought/design process is very helpful to the new folks.

·       Then, we announce a modified version of the Freight Frenzy Game and partner new folks with veteran teams.

·       Veteran teams drive their robot while new folks (their alliance partner for the day) drive a loaned jersey-bot from FTCNJ.

·       Veterans help the new folks modify the jersey-bot (to add a plow, for instance).

·       In the modified game, jersey-bots pass the game pieces to the veteran bot partner. They are an alliance for the day.

·       This gives new folks a great learning experience and a chance to compete … and decide if they want to form at team…

VOLUNTEERS – Tech Crew Initiative

Thanks to the 12 people who registered/attended the July 12th session on becoming a Tech Crew Volunteer.

Special thanks to Chris Kunkel and John McDonnell for hosting the session, providing much useful information, and answering questions.

If you could not make it but are a supportive Coaches interested in learning more about FTA and FTAA volunteering, please let us know.

Our growing Program can surely use the help!

TEAM REGISTRATION / CONFERENCE NEWS

Season Plan – Updated Conferences

Once again there will be 4 Leagues in FTCNJ with each comprised of 2 Conferences of 20-25 teams, organized by county.

The updated Conference/League structure takes into account travel time and should really improve that situation for many.

Remember, all teams in a League may compete at any Meet within that League, regardless of Conference.

Only in February’s League Tournaments must teams play only at their Conferences season-ending tournament.

FTC NJ League / Conference Structure  ß Attached is a map of NJ that shows the Leagues, Conferences, and Team Counts from last Season.

North East Edge League

·        North East Conference: Hudson, Union, North Essex (Caldwell, Livingston, Montclair, Nutley)

·        South Essex Conference: Bloomfield, Maplewood, Newark, South Orange, West Orange)

Northern League

·        Far North Conference: Warren, Sussex, Passaic, West Bergen (Glen Rock, Ramsey, Ridgewood, Saddle River, Township of Washington)

·        East Bergen Conference: (Cliffside Park, Cresskill, Demarest, East Rutherford, Emerson, Englewood, Hackensack, Lodi, Oradell, Paramus, Park Ridge, Rutherford, Tenafly)

Upper Central League

·        Central Conference: Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex

·        Morris County Conference: Morris (All)

Southern League

·        Upper South Conference: Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean

·        Deep South Conference: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem

POWERPLAY Season Team Registration OPEN

26 of the 35 are fully registered; while nine rookies are pending.

25 of the 26 are returning teams … and 1 fully registered rookie.

As of this moment, 148 FTCNJ Teams have registered or confirmed their intent to do so for the upcoming season.

We are climbing toward our 200 team goal.

COMPETITION NEWS

Kick-Off News

Livingston High School has confirmed as the site for the in-person Northern NJ Kick-Off event on September 10th !

Per usual, the morning will include a helpful FTCNJ Orientation Program, as well as a number of breakout sessions.

The Game Reveal will be at noon, followed by Q&A, and a chance to view the physical field (and receive game element construction tips.)

A Southern NJ Kick-Off is also being planned. Our Southern host is in the final stages of sign-off by their administration.

State Championship – March 12, 2023

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held on Sunday, March 12th

In-Person Judging is anticipated at the State Championship, as well as at League Tournaments.

It is also our goal to have “Practice Judging” at four of the Period #3 Meets; one for each League.

League Tournaments ß Updates in Blue!

All eight of the Conference/League Tournaments will take place in February 2023.

·       Sunday, Feb 5th is the Northeast Conference League Tournament is at Bayonne HS

·       Saturday, Feb 11th is the new proposed date for the Far North Conference League Tournament at Glen Rock HS. Awaiting confirmation.

·       Saturday, Feb 18th is nearing approval for the South Essex Conference League Tournament at Payne Tech, Newark. Awaiting final confirmation.

·       Sunday, February 19th is nearing approval for the Central Conference League Tournament at Kean University. Awaiting final confirmation.

·       Saturday, Feb 25th is confirmed for the Deep South Conference League Tournament at North Burlington Middle School.

·       Sunday, Feb 26th is now confirmed for the East Bergen Conference League Tournament at Emerson Jr. Sr. High School.

·       Other tournaments are pending.

Meet Sites ß Updates in Blue!

Don Bosco Prep HS is site of a Northern League Meet on Saturday, November 5th.

Westfield High School has confirmed as site of Northeast Edge League Meet on Saturday, November 13th.

Transisters have confirmed their GSJS Program Activity Center as site of Southern Meet on Sunday, November 27th.

Williamstown Middle School has now confirmed as site of a Southern League Meet on Sunday, December 4th

Clearview Regional Middle School has confirmed as site of Southern League Meet on Saturday, December 17th.

Liberty Science Center is site of a Northern League Meet on Saturday, January 7th. Jdroids are once again the Team Host.

Pingry School has confirmed as site of an Upper Central League  Meet on Sunday, January 8th.

EHT PAL has confirmed as site of a Southern League Meet on Sunday, January 15th.

Chatham High School has confirmed as site of Upper Central League Meet on Saturday, January 21st

Blair Academy has confirmed as site of a Northern League Meet on Sunday, January 22nd.

FTCNJ is again planning six Meet choices per League (3 Saturdays, 3 Sunday). Teams can pick three plus apply for bonus Meets.

Event registration opens on the Monday after Kick Off (e.g., Sept 12th at Noon)

FTCNJ News

Game Manual Release

FIRST has released both versions of their Game Manual Part 1 today, as planned.

We expect to be using the “Traditional” version, or course.

Traditional: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/ftc/game-manual-part-1-traditional-events.pdf

Remote: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/ftc/game-manual-part-1-remote-events.pdf

STEM GIRLS: Tech Talks

No additional Tech Talks are planned for during the off-season, however topic ideas are very much welcome.

We look forward to Tech Talks resuming in the Fall, as well as other remote training sessions.

For any girls interested, it’s never too late to join the STEM Girls community!
Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfca5j11yjtAW6OJmRzbbwKyrSOrt8a5tty9SojZkwYLJLvCw/viewform

Our next newsletter will be on July 26th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and we’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

--

FTCNJ Structure 2022-2023.pdf