Tuesday Newsday - December 28 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Dec 28, 2021, 10:40:36 PM12/28/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Best wishes to Coaches/Mentors, Teams and their Supporters and our Wonderful FTCNJ Volunteers!!

Happy New Year to All!!

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season.

New information is shown in blue text. Hot items in Highlight!

Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

January In-Person Meet Status

As a Subscriber to this Newsletter, you were among the first to hear (12/26) about the postponement of our January 8th and January 9th Meets.

To recap, we learned that our January 8th host (Liberty Science Center) was suspending in-person activities until January 13th and we thought it best to follow suit.

FTCNJ is rescheduling both the January 8th and January 9th Meets until later in the month to allow the Omicron spike and opportunity to recede.

Our recovery dates and sites for the postponed Meets should be available within the coming days. Apologies to teams and volunteers for the inconvenience.

We have been communicating with the remaining six hosts (January 15th through January 30th) and all are currently a “Go”.

Naturally, the COVID situation will continue to be monitored closely and FTCNJ will take the necessary action to keep everyone safe.

As an additional step, a number of potential back-up venues have been contacted. Hopefully, their use will not be necessary. Let’s see Omicron plateau soon.

If at all possible, the plan is to follow through with In-Person Meets. We know how much better they are for students. Bear with us and thanks for your patience.

ON THE HORIZON:

Monday, January 3rd

“New Coaches Caucus” Zoom  How’s it going? Great session for Rookie Team Coaches and 1st Year Coaches

Friday, January 7th

“Coaches Caucus” Zoom on the First Friday of the Month. Coaches sharing best practices.

Saturday, January 15th

First Meet of the Late-Season for Northeast Edge League Teams, … being held at Dwight-Morrow Academies in Englewood. Host: C’est la vie!

Sunday, January 16th

First Meet of the Late-Season for Southern League Teams … being held at Egg Harbor PAL Facility. Host: Enforcers/Re-Enforcers

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Communication Caucuses

Dean’s List

Remote Practice Judging

Competition News

STEM Girls

FTCNJ & FIRST News

          REGISTRATION STATUS

Team Registration Status

A warm Welcome to this season’s 21 New Teams!

It appears our final count will be 178 FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey teams that have registered with FIRST.

§  Northern League : 40 Teams

§  Northeast Edge League : 46 Teams

§  Central West League : 45 Teams

§  Southern League : 47 Teams

League/Conference Assignments

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website.

Newark Public School (NPS) Teams

We received sad news that 8 NPS team schools are not allowed to travel to Meets in 2021. If the situation changes, we will gladly have them join us in 2022.

Any impact should be limited to the Northern League’s February tournaments. Late-December word is that New Public School Teams are still unable to be with us.

Northeast Edge League

It is also noteworthy that the growth of the Bergen County Conference (33 teams) has far outpaced its sister Northeast Conference (12 teams).

There is no impact on the full season’s League Meets, FTCNJ will offer a number of Bergen teams the opportunity to compete in the Northeast Conference L/T.

This will help to balance the Feb events (i.e., avoid having one League  Tournament overloaded at ~33 teams while the other League Tournament has ~12 teams).

Of course, the Conferences will be  re-computed at the start of next season to take into account this large population of Bergen teams. Kudos Bergen!

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW ….plus ULTIMATE GOAL SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Here’s an Overview of the League Structure & Events from the Sept 18th Kick Off. Skip the first 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zLmO5uz8Q

The first ½ of the ~20 minute video reviews last season highlights; the last ½ is a more detailed update of this season’s event.

COMMUNICATIONS CAUCUSES

New Coaches Caucus … (January 3rd)

At recent Coaches Caucus, it was suggested that an additional New Coach Caucus occur as we begin entering the latter half of the season.

Veteran Coaches Bala Kasi & Narmada Krishnaswamy once again host this Zoom session.  (Bala is also Head Ref; Narmada is C-W League Lead FTA.)

If you are a Rookie Team Coach, 1st Year Coach, or any Coach/Mentor with questions, you are very welcome to attend.

Tournament season and Judging is about to begin. If this new to you, it is a great idea to join us  on the 3rd.

Please use this link to register for the Zoom asap if interested: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0kdeuhrD8iGtxbE-B3qgursDDU5sePDl8b

Coaches Caucus … (January 7th)

Thanks to all who made the December Coach Caucus a success. Special thanks to Steve W for his presentation on “Managing to Timelines”.

Other topics were: Managing Design Changes, Coping with COVID, & Getting Ready for Judging . Notes & Recording sent to attendees/registrants.

The next Caucus is January 7th. Hot topics this time will include Remote Practice Judging, League Tournaments and Dean's List.

Here’s the Registration Link for Coaches: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEtcO2opj0uGdTMHaKYmOI-ycp8jjr9EBMq

Captains Caucus … (December 17th) ß Accomplished

At this monthly student-led Zoom, student Team Leaders meet to share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used to facilitate the discussion. Kudos to Dec 17th’s Breakout Group Leads … Vincent F, Tanya V, and Kyle T.

Great discussion on (1) Communication & Coordination, (2) Mechanical Topics, and (3) Competitiveness.

Next Captains Caucus is 8pm (Friday, January 21st). Team Leaders can register for it and rank their topic of most interest.

Here’s the Link. Team Leaders should use it asap to help set the topics: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYlce6sqzoqGNBoydp5vZrqU5j0zhXm9SBr

Dean’s List

Dean’s List Overview

In an effort to recognize the leadership and dedication of FIRST’s most outstanding secondary school students, the Kamen family sponsors an award
for selected 10th and 11th grade students known as the FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge Dean’s List.
Prestigious colleges have
expressed great interest in meeting Dean’s List’s Award winners and FIRST hopes that each Team will take advantage of the opportunity to nominate
the most qualified students as FIRST Dean’s List Nominees!

Dean’s List Orientation Sessions for Coaches/Nominators

Each Team may nominate up to 2 Students as Dean’s List Candidates. The process is not difficult; there is an on-line Form to complete.

The deadline for Nominations is January 15th!  The Nomination Guide is attached to this Newsletter.

Once again this year, FTCNJ will hold two Orientation Sessions to help Coaches to understand the system and to provide them with some helpful tips.

You needn’t attend an Orientation to submit a Nomination but we hope that you’ll find one helpful. Successful Nominators will present.

Orientation Session #1 for DL Nominators – January 5th (7pm): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIoceCupjMqE9zP2YuZjxFRe_9yyVRrngWH

Orientation Session #2 for DL Nominators – January 10th (7pm):  https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYuf-iqpzwuHtHX9c0cI8q91M9XfeVTVzYg

For FTCNJ, the Dean’s List Interviews with Candidates will be schedule for Tuesday and Wednesday evenings in February via Zoom.

REMOTE PRACTICE JUDGING

Deadline for Sign-Up is January 3rd

Overview

The four Practice Judging opportunities have been established. Now is the time to sign-up your team, if you are interested.

All of the coaches in the FTCNJ database have been sent the invitation to sign-up for Practice Judging.

It is important to receive a response from all teams so that we can adequately staff this initiative. January 3rd is the deadline.

The Remote Practice Judging for each League will take place on the January weekend on which their teams are NOT competing in Matches.

Jan 08/09 Weekend   //   Southern League will have Remote Practice Judging

Jan 15/16 Weekend   //   Central West League will have Remote Practice Judging

Jan 22/23 Weekend   //   NE Edge League will have Remote Practice Judging

Jan 29/30 Weekend   //   Northern League will have Remote Practice Judging

·       The 1st Interview (i.e., Presentation Interviews) are scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Teams to be given appointments that start after 1pm.

·       The 2nd Interview (i.e., Interviews by the Judge Award Panels) are scheduled for Sunday afternoon … again beginning shortly after 1pm.

·       Judges will deliberate after dinner and award selections to be announced before the end of Sunday.

Team Registration for Remote Practice Judging    ß Deadline for Sign-Up is January 3rd

If you missed the email that was sent to all Coach #1 and Coach #2, please contact vfras...@aol.com asap if interested in participating.

There are different links for the four Leagues and we want to send you the specific link needed, rather than provide all four links here.

Orientation for Remote Practice Judging    (Coaches/Mentors/Team Leaders welcome)

If you participated in Remote Judging last season, the FTCNJ process is essentially the same except the timing (described in teal highlight above).

If you were not with us last year or would like a refresher on the process, please plan to attend one of these two sessions before your Remote Judging Weekend.

Orientation Session #1 for Remote Practice Judging – January 6th (7pm): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrf-isqTktHNdY8fKbABtOevfTtOGXENH_

Orientation Session #2 for Remote Practice Judging – January 19th (8pm): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEuceCuqzIqGNbg5OAdUC5FCB1Jl2dFTxjf

COMPETITION NEWS

Google Group Queuing

More and more of our venues are utilizing Google Group to assist with Queuing and to send other important event messages to teams.

Look for the QR code that is pre-printed on your Team’s Pit Sign or ask the host about it. Use your smart phone and stay well informed!

Information Packets

During this unique season, it is taking little bit longer to settle the details of events and participating teams.

Please expect our detailed Information Packets to be provided by the end of the day on the preceding Monday (as opposed to the preceding weekend).

This will allow a bit more time to lock down any last minute changes. Event planning is little more dynamic this season, for all.

Venue Address, participating Team List, Check-In Time, and any special  COVID Protocols should already be posted on our FTCNJ website, though.

And, questions on critically needed information will be promptly answered as best we can.

                             Meet Results

While we are not having formal Closing Ceremonies at our Meets, a summary of results is available shortly after event completion.

Anyone can go to  FTC Event Web : Home (firstinspires.org) to see as all event results from all regions.

                             Worlds Allocations for FTCNJ

Good news!!  FIRST has just advised us that New Jersey’s FTC region will receive three advancements to the FTC World Championship.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

League Tournament

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

The attachment shows the locations and dates for all Leagues/Conferences.

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

As discussed above, January Meets will begin on January 15th (Dwight-Morrow Academy).

The January 8th and 9th Meets are being scheduled to later in the month due to the temporary holiday Omicron spike.

On one or more weekend days, there will be concurrent FTCNJ Meets occurring due to the compressed January schedule.

Thanks in advance to our teams and volunteers for the patience/cooperation in adjusting their plans. We are all coping.

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December have completed, as of December 19th

Early-Season/Holiday Meets have completed, as of November 28th

ATTENDANCE POLICY

In making this in-person season happen, it is FTCNJ’s intent to allow all team members to attend, plus two adults per team. We want to avoid team member caps.

Unless the host site has tighter headcount restrictions, that headcount plan it going to be the standard practice.  It delivers some consistency, relative to adult attendees.

We are really trying to maintain in-person events and allow all team member students to attend throughout the season. COVID sensitive protocol has been promised to all.

While we understand that some teams have a number of additional, actively-involved adults, however, we need to set a consistent limit.

The general position is that all students on the team (maximum 15) are able to come in person, plus two adults to chaperone them.
(Coaches can serve as the two adult chaperones.)

Teams that have parents driving far to deliver  students may be allowed to attend on an exception basis.
(Coach must request and justify. We expect GP in requesting such exceptions.)

Sorry that we are unable to allow extra adult supporters and spectators this year.
We will be livestreaming the events this year, with the high hopes of getting fully back to normal next season.

COMMON COVID PROTOCOL

1.       Remember that Masks must be worn at all times at the event. This applies to all sites. Coaches please remind your students not to become complacent.

2.       The decision of whether to provide lunch or snacks will vary from host to host. FTCNJ will advise teams of the decision within a week (or more) of the event.

When necessary, teams should be prepared bring their own lunches.
It would seem that most hosts will be selling pre-packaged snacks throughout the day, but FTCNJ will confirm on a site by site basis.

3.       Upon arrival, we will checking temperatures of everyone and affixing wrist bands before people are allowed into the event.

We’ve seen that this can cause some clustering at Check-In.
We ask that only the coach initially approach Check-In and we will call the team members over when ready to test and wrist-band.

4.       We need very accurate information on who is attending the event. Make sure that you mark your roster to clearly indicate which students are present.

You can also indicate the names of the two adults accompanying the students.
The adults would usually be the coaches, but can be their delegated alternate if both coaches are not coming.

5.       Thanks to all for supplying the headcount information.
We will confirm on event-by-event basis but right now it appears that all students on the official team roster are welcome to attend events.

We ask that those not working on the robot spend most of the day in bleachers or chairs, watching the action, rather than clustering in the pits.  Let’s spread out.

6.       Events are being livestreamed on the FTCNJ YouTube Channel for friends and relatives to watch. Here is the link:  youtube.com/firsttechchallengenj

At this time, we are not allowing spectators at the Meets in light of COVID precautions and protocol.

7.       All are asked to be conscientiously practicing social distancing throughout the day.

Assigned Pit Tables will be well spread out as much as possible. We are also re-positioning and managing Practice Fields to avoid clustering.

8.       Certain events will utilize the AM/PM Approach as a way to reduce in-person headcount relative to venue capacity.

At this time, it is the December 11th event at Grace Church Recreation Center, and January 8th at Liberty Science Center that are AM/PM.

Half of the teams would complete their matches in the morning, then depart. The other half would compete their matches after lunch.

Elimination Matches are not required for Meets. Teams leave after accomplishing their 5 head-to-head official Matches.

Teams involved in an AM/PM event will be asked for their preference of morning or afternoon play.

REMOTE SESSIONS/ TRAINING VIDEOS

Training Videos:

Freight Frenzy Officiating Training

Once again this year, FIRST has engaged our very own League Head Referee Julia Berry to create these training videos.

As you can see below, it is a three-part series that Julia narrates with excellent technical support by her husband, our FTA Rob Berry.

Video 1 - Field and Game Elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Kb5KhRvw&t=25s

Video 2 - Scoring Referee Training

https://youtu.be/bb4akI3s5Cw

Video 3 - Electric Scoring Tablets and Paper Scoring

https://youtu.be/wHb5LaWzjVQ

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS: Next Get-Together (Mixer & Guest Speaker Sessions)

The December 28th Get-Together was rescheduled to late January.  All opted-in STEM Girls members were notified earlier in December.

Based upon early feedback, the STEM Girls are engaging female Computer Science professionals as the coming Guest Speakers.

STEM GIRLS: Steering Committee Meeting (January 5th)

                               Adult mentors meeting to discuss the progress being made by the students working on their Initiative Projects.

FTCNJ News

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it.
This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

2022 COVID Protocol Update

It is great that 15 events have been successfully completed without any problem.

We do know, however, that the statewide/worldwide issue continues.

FTCNJ will take some time during our Holiday Break to revisit our Protocols and make improvements, where needed, based on what we’ve learned.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s continued support. Let’s continue to be very careful. Please continue to emphasize this to your students.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

Webinar for New York Life Grant Opportunity (U.S. FLL & FTC Only)

For FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST ® Tech Challenge partners based in the United States, New York Life has announced a grant opportunity ranging from $15K to $100K for out-of-school programs. There is a requirement that participants meet a minimum of 75% Free or Reduced-Price Lunch

Applications are due February 1, 2022 at 5 P.M. ET. Learn more about the grant application, view the RFP, and submit your application.

End of Year Reminder: 2021 Christa McAuliffe Silver Dollar

The opportunity to order your 2021 Christa McAuliffe Silver Dollar is coming to a close.
Don’t miss out on securing this unique tribute that supports and celebrates the mission of FIRST. Deadline to get your order in is
December 29.

https://usfirst.sharepoint.com/sites/fielddevelopment/SitePages/Christa-McAuliffe.aspx

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue! Hot in Yellow Highlight!)

Our next newsletter will be on January 4th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

2021-2022_Exec_Summary - Rev L.PDF
deans-list-nomination-guide-us.pdf