Tuesday Newsday - Sept 28 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Sep 28, 2021, 4:14:17 PM9/28/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season. New information is shown in blue text.

              Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers. If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINE: Submit Meet Request ASAP

Meet Registration opened at Noon on Sept 20th as planned.

68% of our Teams have submitted Season Plans / Meet Preferences, including Bonus Meets.

If you’ve not requested events yet, please do so ASAP.

ON THE HORIZON:

Tuesday, September 28th                              “STEM Girls (Program Orientation)”               TONIGHT!!!

Wednesday, September 29th                         “ADVANCED PROGRAMMING SERIES” (Odometry)

Thursday, September 30th                             “Creating a Solid Business Plan”

Friday, October 1st                                         “Coaches Caucus”

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Team Status

Communications

Competition News

Pre-Season Events

Remote Sessions

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

FIRST News Items

    TEAM STATUS

Registration Status

Currently, 154 teams have either registered their team with FIRST or have advised FTCNJ that they are definitely planning to re-register.

Accepted and Wait Listed Teams are shown on the “Upcoming Events” page of the FTCNJ website…, by Event.

Here is the direct link …. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/upcoming-events.html  The system immediately acknowledges request entries.

Note: Acceptance and Website Update processed are manual. Allow 1-3 days after applying for results to appear, before dropping us a line.

Welcome New Teams!!

FTCNJ would like to give a warm welcome to all of the new teams joining our FTC community …

19476                 JFI (Somerset)

19477                 Bit by Bit (Tenafly)

19569                 Robosapiens (Metuchen)

19719                 RE-ENFORCERS (Egg Harbor Township)

19722                 Panthers (Clifton)

19735                 HRNT (Holmdel)

19747                 KABHOOM (Edison)

19772                 PSA Beta (Princeton Junction)

19784                 Robotribe (Rahway)

19802                 Team Wakanda (Newark)

19822                 Firehex (Princeton Junction)

19823                 Jolly Blue (Bloomfield)

19871                 STEM Phoenix (South Orange)

19915                  MAD Gadgets (Madison)

FTCNJ Season Fee

Each FTC New Jersey team is asked to pay $100 to support the cost of the events and associated materials.

Within ~1 week of registering a team with FIRST, the coach will be sent the $100 invoice, mail-to address, etc.

Unlike many other states, FTCNJ has never charged for any single-day competitions, with the exception of $200 for the State Championship.

This year, that $200 State Championship fee is being eliminated. Hopefully, all understand/support this shared-expense approach to the season.

League/Conference Assignments

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website and shown in the attachment.

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW ….plus ULTIMATE GOAL SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Under this heading, we have been providing a link to a recording from a Coaches Caucus that gave an Overview of the League Structure and Events.

By way update, we have replaced that link with this one, from the Sept 18th Kick Off. Skip the first 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zLmO5uz8Q

The first ½ of the ~20 minute video reviews last season highlights; the last ½ is a more detailed update of this season’s event.

COMMUNICATIONS

Coaches Caucus             (Friday, Oct 1st)

Coaches meet on the first Friday of the month to discuss topics of mutual interest, raise questions and share best practices.
              Here’s the Registration Link. Coaches only, please
: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYod-ytqjssGNLzOyxN7ceYh0nIYEVXQ--i

Our upcoming Coach Caucus will simply focus on where everyone is with their team is at this point in the early season.

·                How did you welcome folks back?

·                Communication with parents?

·                Establishment of team leaders

·                Has there been a general planning session regarding the season?

·                How did you handle Kick Off/ Game Reveal Day

Captains Caucus             (Thurs, Sept 16th  - Accomplished)

For those unacquainted, the monthly student-led meeting is an opportunity for student Team Leaders / Captains to meet and share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used and various leadership challenges and great ideas are discussed and documented.

Discussion on Sept 16th included: Roles/Responsibilities of Team Captains, Training, Kick-Off / Game Reveal Prep, The Season Ahead. Notes/highlights distributed.

Thanks to new Co-Leads Aarush S (Don’t Blink) & Reilly D (Steel Magnolias) …., and Vincent F (Clearview) & Tanya V (Short Circuits) who led Groups #3 and #4

               The next Captains Caucus will be October 15th (3rd Friday of the Month) at 8pm. Coaches are strongly urged to send their leaders.

              Breakout Group Topics to include: Programming, Mechanical Design/CAD, Judging Topics, Competitiveness.

              Here’s the Registration Link (for Team Captains only): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vce2opj8rH9EYmnrDDKzbi-uya4wQl5dW

COMPETITION NEWS

It is understood that all competitions are presently planned to be in-person events, but subject to change if pandemic conditions make it necessary.

We’ll keep everyone posted of any change, and all events will have a re-confirmation date 2 weeks prior to the event date.

The Season Calendar is updated on the FTCNJ Website to show event dates by League. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/season-calendar.html

FTCNJ will continue to work on Event Confirmations.  Not all of the TBD’s currently pending may blossom, if your team can host an event, please let us know.

(Note - FTCNJ is always interested in teams that would like to pursue hosting, now or in the future. We are counting on teams to help as hosts.  )

The AM/PM Meet Approach will be utilized at certain of this season’s Meets as a way to reduce in-person headcount.

Half of the teams would complete their matches in the morning, then depart. The other half would compete their matches after lunch.

Elimination Matches are not required for Meets. Teams leave after accomplishing their 5-6 head-to-head official Matches.

Teams involved in an AM/PM event will be asked for their preference of morning or afternoon play.

It is also the intent of FTCNJ to “livestream” this year’s competitions to allow more people to spectate without being physically present.

These are just some of the measures being taken as we carefully embark on the season ahead.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

FIRST has announced that the World Championship will be held in Detroit: April 27 - April 30, 2022

League Tournament

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

The attachment shows the locations and dates for all Leagues/Conferences. All Venue Hosts are confirmed for the League Tournaments.

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

There will be two Meet opportunities for each League in January. Teams have a choice of a Saturday Meet or Sunday Meet.

There are four of January (Saturday) Meets (one in each League) which will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Late-Season Meets.

Still Pending Confirmation:

Jan 22nd……….Central West League/ Either Conference……………………… Pending Host Confirmation

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December

There will be two normal Meet opportunities in each League in the period of Nov 20 – Dec 19. Teams have a choice of a Saturday or Sunday Meet.

Four of our Nov/Dec (Sunday) Meets (one in each League) will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Mid-Season Meets.

Still Pending Confirmation:

Nov 21st………..Central West League/ Either Conference………………….…..Pending Host Confirmation

Dec 11th………..Central West League/ Either Conference………………………Pending Host Confirmation

Dec 12th………..Northeast Edge League / Either Conference…………….…..Pending Host Confirmation

Dec 19th………..Northern League / Either Conference…………………………..Pending Host Confirmation

Early-Season/Holiday Meets (8) – 4 Early November Meets & 4 Holiday Meets (Halloween & Thanksgiving Weekend)

FTC NJ is continuing the tradition of offering each League one more special Meet opportunity. Many teams have taken advantage of this in past years.

The spooky Halloween Meets are always extra fun for those ready for the first competitions of the season. (October 30th / 31st)

The long four-day Thanksgiving weekend provides an opportunity for an additional official Meet on Saturday or Sunday.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Early-Season/Holiday Meets.

Newly Confirmed:

Nov 27th……….Central-West League / Either Conference…………………… Roxbury Township Recreation Center,72 Eyland Ave, Roxbury, NJ

Still Pending Confirmation:

Nov 14th………..Central-West League / Either Conference…………...…….. Pending Host Confirmation

Note: Given the difficulty in finding Central-West site hosts, we are asking if any teams in the adjacent counties are willing to host a C-W Meet.

If you are a team in Middlesex, Warren, Union, or Essex county and interested in helping as a non-competing host of a C-W Meet, we’d love to hear from you.

PRE-SEASON EVENTS

PRACTICE DAYS

The FTCNJ tradition of October Practice Days continues. Teams can bring non-functional robots for tinkering and help.

At this time, the Practice Days on October 16th and October 23rd are full.

There has been a large spike in interest following the Game Reveal last weekend. It is great to see the new level of interest.

REMOTE SESSIONS

     Accomplished (Last Week):

“Team Costs, Budgeting and Fundraising” … (Sept 21st – Accomplished)

Big thanks to Jim Novotny for leading this informative session. Thanks also to all who attended.

It was neat to see this session attended by so many of our veteran teams, along with our first year teams.

Advanced Programming – Camera Basics, OpenCV and Robot Vision … (Sept 22nd – Accomplished)

Terrific job by Team 7350 Watt NXT and by Team 16367 Krypton Warriors.

The presentation slides, code review and demo were extremely helpful. Great professional job!

“Engineering Notebook / Portfolio … Off to a Good Start!” … (Sept 23rd – Accomplished)

Over 60 people attended this session which was led by Ellen McDonnell, our State Lead Judge Advisor.

In addition to her top notch material, we had some very thoughtful and thorough questions by our attendees.

              Upcoming (This Week):

Advanced Programming – Odometry – Intro & Application … (Sept 29th)

The series of weekly “Advanced Programming Sessions” hosted by FTA John McDonnell last Fall, was brought back, by popular demand.

This 8pm Wednesday (9/29) session will focus on enhancing robot performance in autonomous and tele-op with Odometry.

We will be hearing from two top teams, the Don’t Blink and Watt NXT? ... and commentary by John.

Here is the Registration Link to Wednesday’s 8pm Zoom. Please register asap to obtain your Zoom Access link.

 https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAoc--tqDojG9FYeX0kkW3DDnR4qT8ZWg3R

“Creating a Solid Business Plan” … (Sept 30th)

Those familiar with the Connect Award know that a Business Plan, or Team Plan, is a definite requirement for “Connect”.

Equally, if not more, important is the role that a good Business Plan can make in accomplishing a successful season.

Make sure that your team goals and your paths to them are identified.

The many recommended ingredients to a winning Business Plan closely align to what makes a winning and sustainable FTC team.

Be certain that your Freight Frenzy season is well planned and mapped out.

Registration Link  ... https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpcuGpqzwpHNDsXuYjkOmCt_80vMXAuV44

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS ORIENTATION …. Preparing to Launch the New Season … (Sept 28th)

Continuing last year’s practice, the 4th Tuesday of the Month is STEM Girls Night.

In September, we are interested in acclimating new female coaches and new female team members in the program.

Of course, if you are a past participant in FTC (female student, coach or mentor), you are welcome too …whether you’ve been involved with STEM Girls or not.

Here’s a link to the 8pm Zoom session.  We’ll cover some past highlights, some future plans, and poll for some live input at the meeting. Should be fun!

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrcu2vqz0pG91gb8H1_zxzzGwp15Pj7OX-

FTCNJ News

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it. This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

For anyone thinking of starting a brand new FIRST Tech Challenge rookie team, $500 rookie grants available!

Teams that haven’t yet registered for the 2021-2022 and are located in North America are eligible! Learn more on FIRST’s  grants webpage!

Kickoff Sweepstakes

FIRST Tech Challenge announced their kickoff sweepstakes on August 18. Four winners will receive a 2021-2022 FREIGHT FRENZY partial game set and scoring elements. Having the elements used at official competitions, can help teams: ​strategize game-play tactics, get hands-on experience with FREIGHT FRENZY game elements, ​program your robot to exact field specifications, ​and run practice matches ​

Teams need to complete their 2021-2022 FIRST Tech Challenge team season registration before September 15, 2021 for a chance to win the 2021 Kickoff Sweepstakes. ​If a team has already completed their FIRST Tech Challenge season registration, they are already entered into the sweepstakes. ​The sweepstakes prize package includes one (1) 2021-2022 FIRST Tech Challenge season FREIGHT FRENZY partial game set and scoring elements, a total approximate retail value of $260.00. The package does not include field perimeter or soft tiles. ​The information can be found here.

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue!)

Our next newsletter will be on October 5th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

2021-2022_Exec_Summary - Rev B.pdf