Tuesday Newsday - November 30 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Nov 30, 2021, 9:29:25 PM11/30/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday, FIRST Tech Challenge NJ

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season.
New information is shown in blue text. Hot items in Highlight!

Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

NINE IN-PERSON MEETS COMPLETED TO DATE

              Thanks to the hosts, volunteers and teams that contributed to another weekend of in-person FTC robotics here in NJ.

              On Saturday, Roxbury’s STEMROX Rumblebots  conducted a very comfortable Meet for Central-West League teams. There was plenty of elbow room in the neat Recreation Center.

              On Sunday, Girl Scouts of the Jersey Shore hosted FTCNJ’s final “Early-Season” Meet. The support of our Girl Scout hosts was outstanding, before, during and after the Competition.

              We now move into the Mid-Season, and beyond …

TECHNICAL VOLUNTEER HELP NEEDED IN SOUTHERN NJ

              As we move deeper into the season, it is apparent that adult FTA volunteers are a shortage situation in South Jersey. More here.

ON THE HORIZON:

Friday, December 3rd

“Coaches Caucus” ß First Friday of the Month. Discussion of key topics.

Saturday, December 4th

First “Mid-Season” Northern League Meet … at West Caldwell Essex County Tech ß brand new host!

Saturday, December 4th

FTCNJ Exhibit and Demo at “American Dream Mall” ß Ironmen of Don Bosco Robotics providing FTC support to this inaugural outreach.

Hopefully, this is the start of a series of exhibits there involving other FIRST Programs and other FTC teams. Big thanks to FMA for initial contact.

Sunday, December 5th

First “Mid-Season” Southern League Meet … at Williamstown Middle School ß largest event of the season, so far (23-24 teams!)

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Registration Status

Communications

Competition News

Training

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

FIRST News Items

          REGISTRATION STATUS

Team Registration Status

Currently, 175 FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey teams that have either registered with FIRST.

§  Northern League : 39 Teams

§  Northeast Edge League : 45 Teams

§  Central West League : 44 Teams

§  Southern League : 47 Teams

A warm welcome again to our 20 New Teams! We are so glad to have you all with us.

League/Conference Assignments

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website.

Newark Public School (NPS) Teams

We received sad news that 8 NPS team schools are not allowed to travel to Meets in 2021. If the situation changes, we will gladly have them join us in 2022.

Any impact should be limited to the Northern League’s February tournaments. Let’s hope the NPS teams can join us by then, precluding any change.

Northeast Edge League

It is also noteworthy that the growth of the Bergen County Conference (33 teams) has far outpaced its sister Northeast Conference (12 teams).

There is no impact on the full season’s League Meets, FTCNJ will offer a number of Bergen teams the opportunity to compete in the Northeast Conference L/T.

This will help to balance the Feb events (i.e., avoid having one League  Tournament overloaded at ~33 teams while the other League Tournament has ~12 teams).

Of course, the Conferences will be  re-computed at the start of next season to take into account this large population of Bergen teams. Kudos Bergen!

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW ….plus ULTIMATE GOAL SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Here’s an Overview of the League Structure & Events from the Sept 18th Kick Off. Skip the first 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zLmO5uz8Q

The first ½ of the ~20 minute video reviews last season highlights; the last ½ is a more detailed update of this season’s event.

COMMUNICATIONS

Coaches Caucus … (December 5th)

The first Friday of the month is coming up once again. Here is the Registration Link : https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUudOGtpjMoEtFyVydjE1-T9o_UhdWC39Kx

Topics are: (a) Managing Robot Design Changes, (b) Coping with COVID, (c) Working with Timelines, (d) Getting Ready for Judging at Tournaments.

                             All coaches are encouraged to come, attend, and share.

Captains Caucus … (December 17th)

For those unacquainted, the monthly student-led meeting is an opportunity for student Team Leaders / Captains to meet and share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used and various leadership challenges and great ideas are discussed and documented.

                             Kudos to our participating Student Team Leaders! There was some really great discussion last month on the following topics:

(1)    Programming, (2) Mechanical Design, (3) Tools Used by Teams, (4) Post-Event Reflection and Team Networking.

                            The next Captains Caucus will be held at 8pm on Friday, 12/17.  The Zoom Registration Link will be in next week’s Newsletter.

COMPETITION NEWS

              Technical Volunteers Needed in the South!

              We are delighted that Meets are taking place in all of our regions. Great to be back in person again!

              That said, it is apparent that it is our generous Northern FTA’s who are repeatedly taking the long drive down south to support events.

              FTC is a volunteer-driven program and we really need some of our southern teams to help out with Adult FTA volunteers.

              All Coaches are asked to seriously consider having their technical mentor, or themselves, step in to lend a hand.

              If such a person cannot step away from the team when they are competing, then please consider volunteering at a different day.

              Obviously, our Northern FTA’s are traveling down when none of their teams are playing. Let’s not burn out these generous northern volunteers.

Information Packets

During this unique season, it is taking little bit longer to settle the details of events and participating teams.

Please expect our detailed Information Packets to be provided by the end of the day on the preceding Monday (as opposed to the preceding weekend).

This will allow a bit more time to lock down any last minute changes. Event planning is little more dynamic this season, for all.

Venue Address, participating Team List, Check-In Time, and any special  COVID Protocols should already be posted on our FTCNJ website, though.

And, questions on critically needed information will be promptly answered as best we can.

                             Meet Results

While we are not having formal Closing Ceremonies at our Meets, a summary of results is available shortly after event completion.

Anyone can go to ftc-events.firstinspires.org to see as all event results from all regions.

                             Worlds Allocations for FTCNJ

Good news!!  FIRST has just advised us that New Jersey’s FTC region will receive three advancements to the FTC World Championship.

Optional Practice Judging à Remote

In the continuing interest of safety, it has been decided that the “Practice Judging”, previously planned, will be done via Remote Judging.

Each of the four Leagues will be assigned a week in January when he optional “Practice Judging” will be available.

FTCNJ had good success with Remote Judging last season and will employ this approach to minimize headcount at coming events.

It is also good experience for students to be exposed to remote interviews via “Practice Judging”, then in-person interviews at Feb/Mar tournaments.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

League Tournament

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

The attachment shows the locations and dates for all Leagues/Conferences.

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

There will be two Meet opportunities for each League in January. Teams have a choice of a Saturday Meet or Sunday Meet.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Late-Season Meets.

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December

There will be two normal Meet opportunities in each League in the period of Nov 20 – Dec 19. Teams have a choice of a Saturday or Sunday Meet.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Mid-Season Meets.

Early-Season/Holiday Meets have completed, as of November 28th

ATTENDANCE POLICY

In making this in-person season happen, it is FTCNJ’s intent to allow all team members to attend, plus two adults per team. We want to avoid team member caps.

Unless the host site has tighter headcount restrictions, that headcount plan it going to be the standard practice.  It delivers some consistency, relative to adult attendees.

We are really trying to maintain in-person events and allow all team member students to attend throughout the season. COVID sensitive protocol has been promised to all.

While we understand that some teams have a number of additional, actively-involved adults, however, we need to set a consistent limit.

The general position is that all students on the team (maximum 15) are able to come in person, plus two adults to chaperone them.
(Coaches can serve as the two adult chaperones.)

Teams that have parents driving far to deliver  students may be allowed to attend on an exception basis.
(Coach must request and justify. We expect GP in requesting such exceptions.)

Sorry that we are unable to allow extra adult supporters and spectators this year.
We will be livestreaming the events this year, with the high hopes of getting fully back to normal next season.

COMMON COVID PROTOCOL

1.       Remember that Masks must be worn at all times at the event. This applies to all sites.

2.       The decision of whether to provide lunch or snacks will vary from host to host. FTCNJ will advise teams of the decision within a week (or more) of the event.

When necessary, teams should be prepared bring their own lunches.
It would seem that most hosts will be selling pre-packaged snacks throughout the day, but FTCNJ will confirm on a site by site basis.

3.       Upon arrival, we will checking temperatures of everyone and affixing wrist bands before people are allowed into the event.

We’ve seen that this can cause some clustering at Check-In.
We ask that only the coach initially approach Check-In and we will call the team members over when ready to test and wrist-band.

4.       We need very accurate information on who is attending the event. Make sure that you mark your roster to clearly indicate which students are present.

You can also indicate the names of the two adults accompanying the students.
The adults would usually be the coaches, but can be their delegated alternate if both coaches are not coming.

5.       Thanks to all for supplying the headcount information.
We will confirm on event-by-event basis but right now it appears that all students on the official team roster are welcome to attend events.

We ask that those not working on the robot spend most of the day in bleachers or chairs, watching the action, rather than clustering in the pits.  Let’s spread out.

6.       Events are being livestreamed on the FTCNJ YouTube Channel for friends and relatives to watch. Here is the link:  youtube.com/firsttechchallengenj

At this time, we are not allowing spectators at the Early-Season Meets in light of COVID precautions and protocol.

7.       All are asked to be conscientiously practicing social distancing throughout the day.

Assigned Pit Tables will be well spread out as much as possible. We are also re-positioning and managing Practice Fields to avoid clustering.

8.       Certain events will utilize the AM/PM Approach as a way to reduce in-person headcount relative to venue capacity.

At this time, it is the December 11th event at Grace Church Recreation Center, and January 8th at Liberty Science Center that are AM/PM.

Half of the teams would complete their matches in the morning, then depart. The other half would compete their matches after lunch.

Elimination Matches are not required for Meets. Teams leave after accomplishing their 5-6 head-to-head official Matches.

Teams involved in an AM/PM event will be asked for their preference of morning or afternoon play.

REMOTE SESSIONS/ TRAINING VIDEOS

Training Videos:

Freight Frenzy Officiating Training

Once again this year, FIRST has engaged our very own League Head Referee Julia Berry to create these training videos.

As you can see below, it is a three-part series that Julia narrates with excellent technical support by her husband, our FTA Rob Berry.

Video 1 - Field and Game Elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Kb5KhRvw&t=25s

Video 2 - Scoring Referee Training

https://youtu.be/bb4akI3s5Cw

Video 3 - Electric Scoring Tablets and Paper Scoring

https://youtu.be/wHb5LaWzjVQ

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS - INITIATIVE TEAMS

It would be wonderful to have all female team members and coaches become part of this organization.

Here’s a link that girls can use to identify the team(s) of most interest to them.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqSm2p6t5A1HnGghwcEelG2UzUGz2u9t83G2lCSt6i6s2eog/viewform

STEM Girls Mixers and Briefings

(Gathering to exchange ideas, Pulling together the presenting valuable information)

STEM Girls Tech Team

(Lunchtime Tech Talks at the Field, Training Videos, …)

STEM Girls Role Models & Guest Speakers

(Interviewing Skills, Hosting Guest Speakers, Working with Bios…)

STEM Girls Motivate & Alum Engagement

(Recruiting New Members, Marketing, Engaging FTC Alum, …)

STEM GIRLS – GUEST SPEAKER/CAREERS SURVEY

If you are one of our opted-in female students, mentor/coaches or alum, please watch for this survey.

Our Sub-Team is very interested in knowing the careers of most interest to our STEM GIRL population.

This information will be used to determine whom to solicit as future Special Guest Speakers.

Please be sure to complete the survey when you receive it.  Won’t take long J

STEM GIRLS - STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING (December 1st)

                             If you are one of the eight female adults who help to make the STEM Girls Program such a success, it’s time for the monthly meeting.

                             A Registration Link will be sent to all shortly.

FTCNJ News

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it.
This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

For anyone thinking of starting a brand new FIRST Tech Challenge rookie team, $500 rookie grants available!

Teams that haven’t yet registered for the 2021-2022 and are located in North America are eligible! Learn more on FIRST’s  grants webpage!

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue! Hot in Yellow Highlight!)

Our next newsletter will be on December 7th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

2021-2022_Exec_Summary - Rev H.pdf