Tuesday Newsday - November 29 2022 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Nov 29, 2022, 9:01:11 PM11/29/22
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

This email is being sent to everyone on the existing Newsletter Distribution list.

As always, you can very easily opt-out from receiving it. (See that process at the bottom of this email.)

Remember that the updates are shown in blue bold text. If you are a weekly reader, you can just quickly scan the BLUE to see what is NEW.

The black text is included for completeness sake and for our new readers.

HEADLINES:

Past Weekend’s Meets – Upper Central League Meet hosted by Cruise Control (Sat) and Southern League Meet co-hosted by Transisters & WAGS (Sun)

New Coaches Meeting (Zoom) on Dec 1st

Upcoming Zoom Caucuses – Coaches on Dec 2nd and Student Leaders on Dec 16th

STEM Girls Tech-Talk-Topic Survey … Input Requested from All

Quick Links:

LEAGUES, CONFERENCES and TEAMS

MEET REGISTRATION

FIRST NEWS

FTCNJ News

LEAGUES, CONFERENCES & TEAMS

Season Plan –  Conferences

There  4 Leagues in FTCNJ with each comprised of 2 Conferences of 20-25 teams, organized by county. (Shown on attachment)

All teams in a League may compete at any Meet within that League, regardless of Conference.

Only in February’s League Tournaments must teams play only at their Conference’s season-ending tournament.

POWERPLAY Season Team Registration

173 of the 177 have registered; 4 potential Rookie Registrations are pending.

157 of the 173  are returning teams … and 16 registered rookies.

WELCOME Rookie Teams!

·       A big WELCOME to our 16 brand new teams, below.

o   22822 (Yellow Jackets) - Hackensack

o   22810 (Pequaautobots) – Pompton Plains

o   22704 (Robo-Redwings) - Hoboken

o   22504 (STEM Robotics) – South Orange

o   22348 (Minds of Steel) - Robbinsville

o   22261 (Hornet Blue) - Holmdel

o   22219 (MORT JR) – Budd Lake

o   22062 (Cyber-Tigers) - Tenafly

o   22050 (Pirate Robotics) – Egg Harbor City

o   21995 (Aquinas Trojans) - Edison

o   21807 (Incinerators) – Edison

o   21767 (Quadra) - Edison

o   21630 (Argonauts) - Somerset

o   21505 (HHS Robotics FTC Raiders) - Hillsborough

o   21480 (C3 Loco-Motors) - Elmer

o   21226 (RoboRaiders) - Hillsborough

COMPETITION NEWS

Upper Central League Meet at Grace Church Community Center  – November 26th in Randolph

Cruise Control and all of their supporters did another great job as host. Thanks also to our super volunteers.

Team #9889 hosted one of our very few AM/PM Meets last season and helped refine the practice.

The 12 AM teams finished nicely on time, allowing the 11 PM teams to settle and start early.

At day’s end, here are League standings:

Upper Central League Rankings….

#1-4347 (NanoGurus)

#2-11697 (TECH-tonic)

#3-21226 (RoboRaiders)

#4-7350 (Watt NXT?)

#5-10096 (Those Guys)

Transisters & WAGS Co-Host – November 27th Southern League AM/PM Meet

These two teams have often partnered to co-host events at the Girls Scouts Program Activity Center.

This, however, was their first AM/PM Meet … with a total of 21 teams. More than ever before at Farmingdale.

The venue was beautifully decorated with the Holiday theme, including a 30+ foot inflated snowman!

Host volunteers, our general volunteers, and the teams did a great job.

Following this Meet,  here are the League standings:

Southern League Rankings….

#1-16139 (The Martians)

#2-7149 (Enforcers)

#3-17036 (Robotech Anomaly)

#3-19735 (Hornet Silver)

#5-2226a (Hornet Blue)

Coming Up … Completing this coming weekend’s two events brings us to the Halfway Point in the FTCNJ Meet Season!

On Saturday, December 3rd, FTCNJ returns to West Caldwell Essex County Vo-Tech for the second time.

This event, hosted by Team #11180 “Beaks n Bolts” has converted from AM/PM to a full day, traditional Meet.

On Sunday, December 4th, we head back south again for the largest Southern League Meet of the season.

Williamstown (Team #9533, Bravenators) hosts this large gymnasium, 2-field event …with Pits spread out into two cafeterias.

Period #2 (Nov-Dec)

Spectator Policy

o   For Period #2, the spectator cap has been removed for large gym venues.

o   FTCNJ is asking for no more than 10 spectators per team when Meets are held in cafeterias or small gyms.

o   Venue sizes vary, of course. If a team has any question or is anticipating many spectators, contact FTCNJ for discussion and resolution.

Period #3 (Jan)

Added Optional Features

·       Teams participating in Saturday Meets in January may partake of optional in-person “Practice Judging”.

o   While it does not affect advancement or earn a trophy, the face/face judge interview is very good practice for the February events.

·       Teams participating in Sunday Meets in January may partake in optional “Elimination Matches”.

o   Again, this added feature does not affect advancement but does provide teams with experience in Alliance Selection ….

·       In both cases, the added features are strictly optional.

League Tournament Season (Feb)

·       In-Person Judging at all eight League Tournaments

·       Remote Dean’s List Interviews taking place during select February weeknights

Meet Registration
If you are a coach who has not submitted your Event Requests yet, please do it now …or let FTCNJ know the nature of your problem.

Here is the Registration link that coaches can use. : Event Registration and Acceptance Criteria - FIRST Tech Challenge - New Jersey (newjerseyftc.com)

FIRST NEWS

World Championship Allocations

New Jersey has been allocated three advancements to the World Championships in April (Houston)

Updated Stats: Raritan Valley Science & Technology Showcase

The organizers of the RVSTS event have sent along additional information regarding the event’s success.

Thanks again to the 20 FTCNJ teams who came to Bridgewater in support of this Outreach. See “RVSTS Impact” attachment.

FIRST TECH CHALLENGE New Jersey News

New Coaches Zoom

As most know, there are 16 new teams in FTCNJ this season. Some are sister teams with veteran coaches but many have new coaches.

ALSO, there are veteran teams with first-season-coaches. Are you one of them?

This Thursday (Dec 1st at 7:30pm), a “New Coaches” Session (Zoom) is planned to talk our new folks through any questions that they may have.

Two of our veteran coach/mentors, Bala Kasi and Narmada Krishnaswamy, will offer advice and take your questions.

A similar session was held last year by Bala and Narmada … with very positive results.

If you are a new coach, please strongly consider joining us. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEtfumuqTIjE9RguG_zdKjWlO6ZFDURJGnN

Don’t be overwhelmed. There are answers out there … and some generous veterans willing to share advice.

Dean’s List Plans

Similar to last season, Dean’s List interviews will be performed remotely again this year.

A Dean’s List “remote event” will be officially added to our schedule soon. It will be scheduled in the month of February.

That means Coaches need to submit their DL Nominations by the 15th day of the preceding month (i.e., January 15th).

We had originally planned to hold the interviews in January (meaning the deadline for submittals would have been December 15th).

At a recent Planning Committee Meeting, the committee members thought that it was better to give the coaches a bit more time.

Shifting the date back a month also allows us to provide some optional coach DL Orientation sessions, which otherwise would have been tough to squeeze in.

The Remote Interviews, themselves, will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the first 3 weeks of February.

Depending on the number of nominations, interviews will extend to the 4th week in February, or will include Thursday nights.

FTCNJ will once again hold Orientation Sessions for Coaches (on Nomination Writing) and for Dean’s List Interview volunteers.

More to come, but coaches should be reviewing the material provided by FIRST and start considering candidates now.

Information about the Dean’s List can be found on the FIRST website: FIRST_Robotics_Competition_Deans_List_Award_Guide.pdf (firstinspires.org)

STEM Girls Tech-Talk Survey

For the past 2 years, the Tech-Talks have been “virtual” as a result of the pandemic. This year, the in-person Tech-Talks return.
The season will include a combination of short lunchtime Tech-Talks at competitions and a few full-sized Tech Talks via Zoom.
Please help the STEM Girls planning efforts by answering the questions on this survey. https://forms.gle/FnbHYCc95toj69AU8

They are interested in gathering input from coaches, mentors, team members, and other interested parties. You!

We have received very sparse response thus far. Please take a moment to give your input on desirable topics.

Counting on our Coaches and the engaged student community to provide some thoughts here.  There is no obligation to attend.

Coaches Caucus  (Dec 2nd) … 1st Friday of the Month

New and veteran coaches met at 8pm on November 4th to discuss topics of mutual interest.

Thanks to all of the Coaches who attended and participated. Topics included PowerPlay Meet experiences, Judging, and Team Management issues.
Are you a coach who is missing out on these discussions? Join us next time and see what it’s like!
The next Coaches Caucus is 8pm on December 2nd. Registration Link:  https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtf-6opzMtGNRyD0G15bMykgEi4sjetB99

Captains Caucus (December 16th) … 3rd Friday of the Month

Coaches should encourage student leaders to attend. Notes are distributed to attendees and their coaches following the sessions.

Thanks to our Breakout Room Leads on Nov 18th … Vincent F (Judging Topics), Quinten S (Mech Topics), Eldrin B (Team Mgmt Topics).

Are you a Student Leader? You should join us on these 3rd Friday of the Month Zooms.
Coaches should really consider sending their captain(s)! There is a lot of very smart and very useful information exchanged.

The next Captains Caucus is 8pm on December 16th. Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEscuivqz0vHNXjC24qAoE7pDyDFBgXNFCr

Tips from FTCNJ Head Refs

1.       Boost your TieBreaker Points 1 by designing and printing your own Sleeve to go over the Signal.  This enables you to try to score the 20-Point Signal Bonus.
IMPORTANT: Handwriting or other changes on the Sleeve after it is printed makes it ineligible for the Signal Bonus.

2.       Increase your TieBreaker Points 2 by designing a Beacon (that a Team’s Human Player introduces during End Game). This enables you to try to own a Junction by capping it.
IMPORTANT: The predominant color of the Beacon designed by a Team must match the Team’s assigned Alliance for the Match (Red or Blue).
Also, taped up cups are not legal Beacons - that is, the Beacon may not resemble any POWERPLAY scoring elements.

Our next newsletter will be on December 6th, 2022.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and we’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

--

2022-2023_Exec_Summary - Rev S.PDF