FTCNJ Tuesday Newsday - July 26 2022 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Jul 26, 2022, 11:13:56 PM7/26/22
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

This email is being sent to everyone on the existing Newsletter Distribution list.

As always, you can very easily opt-out from receiving it. (See that process at the bottom of this email.)

Or, if you wish to suspend distribution during the off-season, simply send that note to this address and we’ll omit you until September.

Otherwise, the newsletter will coming out on Tuesdays (typically)

Remember that the updates are shown in blue bold text.

If you are a weekly reader, you can just quickly scan the BLUE to see what is NEW.

The black text is included for completeness sake and for our new readers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

              Headlines:

Control Hub – Supply Chain Challenge

We are aware of the FIRST notification regarding the difficulty in obtaining Control Hubs for the coming season.

This will particularly affect our rookies. Veteran teams should already have Control Hubs, and/or Expansion Hubs, and perhaps spares.

FIRST has issued a call for veteran teams to graciously “share a spare” and advise their PDP (i.e., FTCNJ) if they are able to loan their spare.

Beyond that FTCNJ is creating a pool of spare Expansion Hubs that can be loaned to a rookie, or a  Donor/Loaner veteran team overnight, in a pinch.

In addition to the Gracious Professional aspect of “sharing a spare”, FTCNJ is offering a discount on the season fee for our accepted Donor/Loaner veteran teams.

We will be watching the supply chain situation closely and constructing a Donor/Loaner List of interested teams.

Details: 5-Point Plan

1.       FTCNJ is compiling a list of teams that are willing to be Donor/Loaners. (That means lending your spare Expansion Module into our pool for rookie teams.)

2.       FTCNJ will match the need of the rookies with the maintenance of the pool. Responding veteran teams (based on date stamp) will be asked so send in their Hub, as the need is determined.

3.       Any team which is officially requested to loan their Hub, and does so, will receive 50% off of next year’s FTCNJ Season Fee.

4.       If a team that has loaned its spare Expansion Hub suddenly finds themselves in urgent need of one, FTCNJ will ship an emergency replacement.

5.       At season’s end, or when the Controller Hub situation is resolved, Expansion Hubs will be sent back to all teams who graciously loaned one.

If your team has a spare Expansion Hub and is interested in getting onto the Donor/Loaner List, please write back to vfras...@aol.com

Update: To date, one veteran FTCNJ team has stepped forward with an offer to loan their Spare Expansion Hub if called upon … and one Rookie Team has been loaned an FTCNJ Expansion Hub.

Note: We have heard from two potential rookie team coaches of a reticence to register a team due to uncertainty about Hub availability. We’ve informed both of the above FTCNJ Loaner/Donor Plan.

Quick Links:

Outreach Scrimmages

Competition News – Event Site Updates, etc

FTCNJ News – Game Manual Release…

OFF-SEASON ACTIVITIES

In-Person Workshops

Kean University is hosting the free Workshops on Saturday, August 20th (Union, NJ)

Moorestown Friends School is hosting the free Workshops on Saturday, September 24th (Moorestown, NJ)

Both Workshop events run from 9am in the morning until approximately 3pm in the afternoon.

Both will have 45 minute lunch periods to allow participants to visit the eateries across the street from the facility.

Here is the link that can be utilized by Coaches to officially register for the Workshops.

              2022 Event Registration; Multi-Track Workshops (google.com)

The attached EXCEL spreadsheet can be sent to vfras...@aol.com to request the number of attendees per Track.

Remote Workshops

It has been decided to conduct these remote offerings in Sept/Oct when more teams have organized and more members are available.

This approach will help us to focus on the July Outreaches and August In-Person Workshops now.

Northern NJ Outreach Scrimmage

On Saturday, July 23rd, veteran team members and rookie team members participated in the Northern NJ Outreach event hosted by Cruise Control.

Coach Pam H and the members & supporters of Cruise Control did a terrific job of hosting once again. Thanks so much.

Teams played a modified version of “Extreme Freight Frenzy” including “Doubler-Ducks” and “Bonus Freight”. It was a great learning experience for the new folks.

The Winning Alliance was Cruise Control, being chased by “Those Guys” followed by the Pope John teams and Delta V.

Great presentations of the tournament bot designs and the start of the day. Very helpful for all. Nice job participants!

Southern NJ Outreach Scrimmage

Our third and final Outreach Scrimmage was held at the outstanding EHT PAL Facility (Home of the Enforcers) in Egg Harbor Township.

Seven alliances battled through the day, including captains… Enforcers, RoboTech, Bravenators, and WAGS.

We were delighted to not only have our veteran teams bring rookies but we also welcome rookie team members from Pirates and C3-Locomotors.

Several coaches from brand new southern NJ teams (or prospective teams also visited). Terrific!

The day’s Winning Alliance was RoboTech and their Rookie Team “B” partner. The Finalist Alliance was Enforcers and their Rookie Team “A” partner.

It was a very worthwhile day for so many new folks. We truly thank Hector T and all in the Enforcers organization for the help and hospitality.

VOLUNTEERS – Tech Crew Initiative

Thanks to the 12 people who registered/attended the July 12th session on becoming a Tech Crew Volunteer.

Special thanks to Chris K and John M for hosting the session, providing much useful information, and answering questions.

If you could not make it but are a supportive Coaches interested in learning more about FTA and FTAA volunteering, please let us know.

Our growing Program can surely use the help!

              We thank Joe L (Princeton STEM Academy) and Rich M (Blue Steel) for their Tech Crew assistance at the Central NJ Outreach event (July 17th)

              We also thank Sunil M (Dynabytes) and Joshua  H (Cruise Control) for their Tech Crew assistance at the Northern NJ Outreach (July 23rd)

              Hoping to see more folks step up to assist in the Tech Crew.

              The October Practice Days coming up are another opportunity to serve, and learn.

TEAM REGISTRATION / CONFERENCE NEWS

Season Plan – Updated Conferences

Once again there will be 4 Leagues in FTCNJ with each comprised of 2 Conferences of 20-25 teams, organized by county.

The updated Conference/League structure takes into account travel time and should really improve that situation for many.

Remember, all teams in a League may compete at any Meet within that League, regardless of Conference.

Only in February’s League Tournaments must teams play only at their Conferences season-ending tournament.

FTC NJ League / Conference Structure  ß Attached is a map of NJ that shows the Leagues, Conferences, and Team Counts from last Season.

North East Edge League

·        North East Conference: Hudson, Union, North Essex (Caldwell, Livingston, Montclair, Nutley)

·        South Essex Conference: Bloomfield, Maplewood, Newark, South Orange, West Orange)

Northern League

·        Far North Conference: Warren, Sussex, Passaic, West Bergen (Glen Rock, Ramsey, Ridgewood, Saddle River, Township of Washington)

·        East Bergen Conference: (Cliffside Park, Cresskill, Demarest, East Rutherford, Emerson, Englewood, Hackensack, Lodi, Oradell, Paramus, Park Ridge, Rutherford, Tenafly)

Upper Central League

·        Central Conference: Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex

·        Morris County Conference: Morris (All)

Southern League

·        Upper South Conference: Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean

·        Deep South Conference: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem

POWERPLAY Season Team Registration OPEN

31 of the 40 are fully registered; while nine rookies are pending.

30 of the 31 are returning teams … and 1 fully registered rookie.

As of this moment, 148 FTCNJ Teams have registered or confirmed their intent to do so for the upcoming season.

We are climbing toward our 200 team goal.

COMPETITION NEWS

Kick-Off News

Livingston High School has confirmed as the site for the in-person Northern NJ Kick-Off event on September 10th !

Per usual, the morning will include a helpful FTCNJ Orientation Program, as well as a number of breakout sessions.

The Game Reveal will be at noon, followed by Q&A, and a chance to view the physical field (and receive game element construction tips.)

Hightstown High School has now confirmed their ability to reprise their role as Host of the Southern NJ Kick-Off Event.

We are delighted to have HHS as one of our two hosts for the concurrent Kick-Off events on September 10th

The Registration Link for Kick Off will be posted on the FTCNJ website during the coming week.

State Championship – March 12, 2023

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held on Sunday, March 12th

In-Person Judging is anticipated at the State Championship, as well as at League Tournaments.

It is also our goal to have “Practice Judging” at four of the Period #3 Meets; one for each League.

League Tournaments ß Updates in Blue!

All eight of the Conference/League Tournaments will take place in February 2023.

·       Saturday, Feb 4th has now confirmed as the Morris County Conference League Tournament at Delbarton School in Morristown.

·       Sunday, Feb 5th is the Northeast Conference League Tournament is at Bayonne HS

·       Saturday, Feb 11th has now officially confirmed for the Far North Conference League Tournament at Glen Rock HS.

·       Sunday, February 12th has now confirmed as the Upper South Conference League Tournament at Hightstown HS in Hightstown.

·       Saturday, Feb 18th is nearing approval for the South Essex Conference League Tournament at Payne Tech, Newark. Awaiting final confirmation.

·       Sunday, February 19th is nearing approval for the Central Conference League Tournament at Kean University. Awaiting final confirmation.

·       Saturday, Feb 25th is confirmed for the Deep South Conference League Tournament at North Burlington Middle School.

·       Sunday, Feb 26th is now confirmed for the East Bergen Conference League Tournament at Emerson Jr. Sr. High School.

Meet Sites ß Updates in Blue!

Don Bosco Prep HS is site of a Northern League Meet on Saturday, November 5th.

Westfield High School has confirmed as site of Northeast Edge League Meet on Saturday, November 13th.

Transisters have confirmed their GSJS Program Activity Center as site of Southern Meet on Sunday, November 27th.

Williamstown Middle School has now confirmed as site of a Southern League Meet on Sunday, December 4th

Cliffside Park has now confirmed as site of a Northern League Meet on Sunday, December 11th.

Clearview Regional Middle School has confirmed as site of Southern League Meet on Saturday, December 17th.

Liberty Science Center is site of a Northern League Meet on Saturday, January 7th. Jdroids are once again the Team Host.

Pingry School has confirmed as site of an Upper Central League  Meet on Sunday, January 8th.

EHT PAL has confirmed as site of a Southern League Meet on Sunday, January 15th.

Chatham High School has confirmed as site of Upper Central League Meet on Saturday, January 21st

Blair Academy has confirmed as site of a Northern League Meet on Sunday, January 22nd.

FTCNJ is again planning six Meet choices per League (3 Saturdays, 3 Sunday). Teams can pick three plus apply for bonus Meets.

Event registration opens on the Monday after Kick Off (e.g., Sept 12th at Noon)

In-Person Event Policy

Last year, among other things, FTCNJ had a “mask mandate” in place; this season we are considering “Masks Optional” unless required by the venue.

We will defer to the venue and pass along any other requirements, as they are known. FTCNJ events will comply with any tighter requirements set forth by the venue.

While spectators will be allowed this year, headcount limits may be in place for smaller venues based on team count and space.

Hoping for a continuation of a return to normal during the coming season.

FTCNJ News

Game Manual Release

FIRST has released both versions of their Game Manual Part 1, as planned.

We expect to be using the “Traditional” version, or course. Here are the links, for your convenience.

Traditional: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/ftc/game-manual-part-1-traditional-events.pdf

Remote: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/ftc/game-manual-part-1-remote-events.pdf

                             Team Seeking Members (Burlington County)

                            Returning All-Girl Team “Outer Galaxy” is recruiting new members for the 2022-2023 season.

                            They are inviting all interested potential students in South Jersey area who may be interested in joining our team to reach out via email at te...@outergalaxy.org

FTC 18241 is an all-girls team and ideally looking for new team members who will be rising HS Freshman thru HS Juniors in Fall 2022.

Note: There is no team membership fee for the season. Team usually raises funds through sponsorships.

                            Student Seeking Team (Morris County)

                            FTCNJ has been contacted the parent of a 13 year old daughter who is interested in exploring and participating in robotics.

                            The family resides in Florham Park (Upper Central League) and is wondering if any of our teams there are accepting outside members.

                            If your team is interested, please write back to vfras...@aol.com  Thanks.

STEM GIRLS: Tech Talks

No additional Tech Talks are planned for during the off-season, however topic ideas are very much welcome.

We look forward to Tech Talks resuming in the Fall, as well as other remote training sessions.

For any girls interested, it’s never too late to join the STEM Girls community!
Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfca5j11yjtAW6OJmRzbbwKyrSOrt8a5tty9SojZkwYLJLvCw/viewform

Our next newsletter will be on August 2, 2022.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and we’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

FTCNJ Structure 2022-2023.pdf
Workshop Session Request - Aug Sep 2022.xlsx