Tuesday Newsday - October 19 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Oct 19, 2021, 7:19:52 PM10/19/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season. New information is shown in blue text.

Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers. If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINE: Help FTCNJ Finish In-Person Meet Planning!

Registration has been extended on ~ half of the FTCNJ Meets so that latecomers have one last chance to register.

Each League has one Meet open in each of the three Periods (Early-, Mid-, and Late- Season)

If you’ve not requested events yet, please do so ASAP.

We need to finish collecting Meet preferences, headcount, etc … and finalize the competition planning.

Live events … Here we go!!!

ON THE HORIZON:

Wednesday, October 20th                             ADVANCED PGM’G SERIES (Introduction to Roadrunner, Roadrunner with Auto-Aim)

Thursday, October 21st                                  FTCNJ STEM Girls Initiative Launch (Motivate – Mktg, Recruitment, Alum)

Saturday, October 23rd                                  Practice Day #3 (Held at Toms River High School North)

Saturday, October 30th                              “Haunted Harvest” Northern League Meet at Lenape Regional HS (1st In-Person Meet since 2019!)

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Registration Status

Communications

Competition News

Remote Sessions / Training Videos

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

FIRST News Items

    REGISTRATION STATUS

Team Registration Status

Currently, 176 teams have either registered their team with FIRST or have advised FTCNJ that they are definitely planning to re-register.

We now have 151 fully-paid/registered teams and 25 that have yet to register. Hopefully, most of them will do so very soon.

Welcome 19 New Teams!!

FTCNJ would like to give a warm welcome to all of the new teams joining our FTC community.

This week’s new addition shown in blue text, … Newark School of Data Science and Information. Welcome!

19476                 JFI (Somerset)

19477                 Bit by Bit (Tenafly)

19569                 Robosapiens (Metuchen)

19719                 RE-ENFORCERS (Egg Harbor Township)

19722                 Panthers (Clifton)

19735                 HRNT (Holmdel)

19747                 KABHOOM (Edison)

19772                 PSA Beta (Princeton Junction)

19784                 Robotribe (Rahway)

19802                 Team Wakanda (Newark)

19822                 Atlas (Princeton Junction)

19823                 Jolly Blue (Bloomfield)

19871                 STEM Phoenix (South Orange)

19915                                MAD Gadgets (Madison)

20204                  Clearview Middle School 1 (Mullica Hill)

20205                                Clearview Middle School 2 (Mullica Hill)

20244                 Liberty Lions (Jackson)

20255                                Falcon's Nest (Metuchen)

20388                                Newark School of Data Science and Information (Newark)

FTCNJ Season Fee

Each FTC New Jersey team is asked to pay $100 to support the cost of the events and associated materials.

Within ~1 week of registering a team with FIRST, the coach will be sent the $100 invoice, mail-to address, etc.

Unlike many other states, FTCNJ has never charged for any single-day competitions, with the exception of $200 for the State Championship.

This year, that $200 State Championship fee is being eliminated. Hopefully, all understand/support this shared-expense approach to the season.

League/Conference Assignments

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website and shown in the attachment.

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW ….plus ULTIMATE GOAL SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Under this heading, we have been providing a link to a recording from a Coaches Caucus that gave an Overview of the League Structure and Events.

By way update, we have replaced that link with this one, from the Sept 18th Kick Off. Skip the first 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zLmO5uz8Q

The first ½ of the ~20 minute video reviews last season highlights; the last ½ is a more detailed update of this season’s event.

Event Registration Status

The percentage of teams registering for events has risen from 87% to 92% in the past week. This is a nice increase but we need to get closer to 100% quickly.

About half of the events are Closed but half have extended opening. Less choice but events still available.

Here is the direct link for Event Registration …. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/upcoming-events.html  If your team has not yet registered, please do so at once.

Following registration, headcount information will be solicited as we assure that we are safely within venue caps

COMMUNICATIONS

Captains Caucus … (Oct 15th … Accomplished)

For those unacquainted, the monthly student-led meeting is an opportunity for student Team Leaders / Captains to meet and share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used and various leadership challenges and great ideas are discussed and documented.

The next Captains Caucus will be October 15th (3rd Friday of the Month) at 8pm. Coaches are strongly urged to send their leaders.

Breakout Group Topics included: Programming, Mechanical Design/CAD, Judging Topics, Competitiveness.

Thanks to Breakout Group Leads: Aarush, Reilly, Tanya, Rahul …and their partners: Uday, Riddhi, Ashmit, Eshani

Slides & recording sent to participants and their coaches. Available to other Coaches upon request.

Coaches Caucus

The next Caucus will be on Friday, November 5th (1st Friday of the Month). All Coach #1 and Coach #2 are welcome!

COMPETITION NEWS

It is understood that all competitions are presently planned to be in-person events, but subject to change if pandemic conditions make it necessary.

We’ll keep everyone posted of any change, and all events will have a re-confirmation date 2 weeks prior to the event date.

The Season Calendar is updated on the FTCNJ Website to show event dates by League. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/season-calendar.html

FTCNJ will continue to work on Event Confirmations.  There is now only one event that remains with unconfirmed venue. There are 32 of 33 confirmed!

(Note - FTCNJ is always interested in teams that would like to pursue hosting, now or in the future. We are counting on teams to help as hosts.  )

The AM/PM Meet Approach will be utilized at certain of this season’s Meets as a way to reduce in-person headcount.

Half of the teams would complete their matches in the morning, then depart. The other half would compete their matches after lunch.

Elimination Matches are not required for Meets. Teams leave after accomplishing their 5-6 head-to-head official Matches.

Teams involved in an AM/PM event will be asked for their preference of morning or afternoon play.

It is also the intent of FTCNJ to “livestream” this year’s competitions to allow more people to spectate without being physically present.

These are just some of the measures being taken as we carefully embark on the season ahead.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

FIRST has announced that the World Championship will be held in Detroit: April 27 - April 30, 2022

League Tournament

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

The attachment shows the locations and dates for all Leagues/Conferences. All Venue Hosts are confirmed for the League Tournaments.

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

There will be two Meet opportunities for each League in January. Teams have a choice of a Saturday Meet or Sunday Meet.

There are four of January (Saturday) Meets (one in each League) which will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Late-Season Meets.

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December

There will be two normal Meet opportunities in each League in the period of Nov 20 – Dec 19. Teams have a choice of a Saturday or Sunday Meet.

Four of our Nov/Dec (Sunday) Meets (one in each League) will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Mid-Season Meets.
Newly Confirmed:

Nov 21st………..Central West League/ Either Conference………………….…..Montville Township High School, 100 Horseneck Road, Montville, NJ

Early-Season/Holiday Meets (7) – 4 Early November Meets & 3 Holiday Meets (Halloween & Thanksgiving Weekend)

FTC NJ is continuing the tradition of offering each League one more special Meet opportunity. Many teams have taken advantage of this in past years.

Though the October 31st (Northeast Edge Meet) had to be canceled due to lack of team sign-up, the October 30th Meet is full speed ahead at Lenape Regional HS.

Two more Meets occur during the long four-day Thanksgiving weekend.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Early-Season/Holiday Meets.

Still Pending Confirmation:

Nov 14th………..Central-West League / Either Conference…………...…….. Pending Host Confirmation

PRE-SEASON EVENTS

PRACTICE DAYS

The FTCNJ tradition of October Practice Days continues. Teams can bring non-functional robots for tinkering and help.

We wish to say THANKS to all of the people who made both of the October 16th Practice Days, so successful….

Venue Hosts: Raritan Valley Community College and Immaculate Conception HS in Montclair.

Team Hosts : Don’t Blink (at RVCC) and Lions & Krypton Warriors (at Montclair)

Volunteers at RVCC: John G, Pat F, Ray K, Narmada K,, … and our host team volunteers

Volunteers at Montclair: Julia B, Rob B, Jim N … and our host team volunteers

Great job by all!

Looking forward to the Practice Day at Toms River High School North on Oct 23rd

Host team (Iron Mariners ) and 9 other teams are coming out to tinker, learn, and hopefully do some afternoon unofficial scrimmaging.

REMOTE SESSIONS/ TRAINING VIDEOS

     Sessions Accomplished (Last Week):

Advanced Programming – “Trajectory Planning & Motion Profiling … (Oct 13th - Accomplished)

Smooth job by Team #15887 Titanium Knights, including the use of a code visualization tool (simulation) when reviewing code.

Slides and recording sent to registrants/attendees.

   Upcoming (This Week):

Advanced Programming – “Trajectory Planning & Motion Profiling” … (October 20th)

This is the last in the series of weekly “Advanced Programming Sessions”, brought back from last Fall.

Don’t Blink (#14481) and Watt NXT (#7350)are our presenting teams for the 8pm Wednesday (10/20) Zoom.

As usual, FTA John McDonnell will supplement their information, provide commentary and questions.

Here is the Registration Link to Wednesday’s 8pm Zoom. Please register asap to obtain your Zoom Access link.

 https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0ucuqsrT4qHdXqbPQsNwyvBheWDaYaUJmM

Training Videos:

Freight Frenzy Officiating Training

Once again this year, FIRST has engaged our very own League Head Referee Julia Berry to create these training videos.

As you can see below, it is a three-part series that Julia narrates with excellent technical support by her husband, our FTA Rob Berry.

Julia’s description of the game elements, scoring and use of the scoring system is outstanding. Listen carefully; you’ll learn a lot.

FIRST has posted these videos on their YouTube Channel, but if you did not spot them there, here they are….

Super work by Julia and Rob Berry. Enjoy!

Video 1 - Field and Game Elements

https://youFu.be/OG3Kb5KhRvw

Video 2 - Scoring Referee Training

https://youtu.be/bb4akI3s5Cw

Video 3 - Electric Scoring Tablets and Paper Scoring

https://youtu.be/wHb5LaWzjVQ

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS – INITIATIVE TEAMS “LAUNCH ZOOMS”

On September 28th, Pat F and others provided an overview of STEM Girls, its four Initiative Areas, and preliminary plans for the coming season.

Attendees had a chance for a brief description of each of the four areas. The next step is to explore a bit further, the initiative(s) of most interest.

As you can see below, an 8pm Zoom Session (30-45 minutes) has been set for each topic.  Here’s a chance for the girls to make their choice (or choices) and learn more.

Ladies can sign-up to attend one of these sessions with no strings attached, ask questions, dig a bit deeper, then decide which sub team(s) they may wish to join.

Here’s the selection…

Tuesday, October 12th (8pm) – STEM Girls Mixers and Briefings ß ACCOMPLISHED

(Gathering to exchange ideas, Pulling together the presenting valuable information)

Thursday, October 14th (8pm) – STEM Girls Tech Team ß ACCOMPLISHED

(Lunchtime Tech Talks at the Field, Training Videos, …)

Tuesday, October 19th (8pm) – STEM Girls Role Models & Guest Speakers

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYud-qsqjgrHNDPwlHCocwt3WnxSyYOr_Ec

(Interviewing Skills, Hosting Guest Speakers, Working with Bios…)

Thursday, October 21st (8pm) – STEM Girls Motivate & Alum Engagement

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYlceGprD4sGdNvn3VNnCkIWRWUE4eUDZ2U

(Recruiting New Members, Marketing, Engaging FTC Alum, …)

FTCNJ News

Four New Fields for FTC New Jersey!

We would like to thanks our generous sponsor R&J Control, Inc. for funding the purchase of four new Fields for FTCNJ.

As many know, we have using the old style IFI fields for well over ten years.

Moving to the Andy Mark fields will improve the compatibility between teams’ fields at home base, and FTCNJ, and Worlds!

They also look so much better than our faithful IFI fields. We thanks R&J Control, Inc.  once again.

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it. This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

For anyone thinking of starting a brand new FIRST Tech Challenge rookie team, $500 rookie grants available!

Teams that haven’t yet registered for the 2021-2022 and are located in North America are eligible! Learn more on FIRST’s  grants webpage!

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue!)

Our next newsletter will be on October 26th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

2021-2022_Exec_Summary - Rev E.PDF