Tuesday Newsday - November 2 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Nov 2, 2021, 8:12:41 PM11/2/21
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season. New information is shown in blue text.

Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers. If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

FIRST DOUBLE EVENT WEEKEND COMING UP!

Good luck to all who are participating on Saturday (Nov 6) at Howell HS and Sunday (Nov 7) at ICHS in Montclair!

The season is off and running!

STEM Girls Program – Start Up

Good Luck also to the STEM Girls who are holding their first Initiative Team Meetings tonight and on the 12th

We remind everyone on distribution that your ranking of those Tech-Talk Topics is really needed.

It will take the girls some time to create their usual high quality presentation and they want to identify the topic of most interest and get started.

ON THE HORIZON:

Wednesday, November 3rd                           ADVANCED PGM’G – Added Feature (Intro to FTC “Machine Learning Tool”)

Friday , November 5th                                    November Coaches Caucus

Saturday, November 6th                             Southern League  Meet at Howell High School

Sunday, November 7th                               Northern League Meet at Immaculate Conception High School

Tuesday, November 23rd                               “STEM Girls Get-Together”  (Mixer & Guest Speakers)

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Registration Status

Communications

Competition News

Posted Training

Upcoming Training

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

FIRST News Items

    REGISTRATION STATUS

Team Registration Status

Currently, 173 teams have either registered their team with FIRST or have advised FTCNJ that they are definitely planning to re-register.

We now have 160 fully-paid/registered teams and 13 that have yet to register. Hopefully, most of them will do so very soon.

Welcome 20 New Teams!!

FTCNJ would like to give a warm welcome to all of the new teams joining our FTC community.

FTCNJ Season Fee

Each FTC New Jersey team is asked to pay $100 to support the cost of the events and associated materials.

Within ~1 week of registering a team with FIRST, the coach will be sent the $100 invoice, mail-to address, etc.

Unlike many other states, FTCNJ has never charged for any single-day competitions, with the exception of $200 for the State Championship.

This year, that $200 State Championship fee is being eliminated. Hopefully, all understand/support this shared-expense approach to the season.

League/Conference Assignments

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website and shown in the attachment.

Newark Public School (NPS) Teams

We received sad news that the NPS team schools will not be allowed to travel to Meets in 2021.

This affects at least 8 of our Newark teams. FTCNJ is assessing the impact. If the situation changes, we will gladly have them join us in 2022.

Any impact should be limited to the Northern League’s February tournaments. Let’s hope the NPS teams can join us by then, precluding any change.

Northeast Edge League

It is also noteworthy that the growth of the Bergen County Conference (31 teams) has far outpaced its sister Northeast Conference (10 teams).

While there is no impact on the full season’s League Meets, FTCNJ will offer a number of Bergen teams the opportunity to compete in the Northeast Conference L/T.

This will help to balance the February events (i.e., avoid having one League  Tournament overloaded at 30+ teams while the other League Tournament has ~10 teams).

Of course, the Conferences will be  recomputed at the start of next season to take into account this large population of Bergen teams. Kudos Bergen!

LEAGUE / SEASON OVERVIEW ….plus ULTIMATE GOAL SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Under this heading, we have been providing a link to a recording from a Coaches Caucus that gave an Overview of the League Structure and Events.

By way update, we have replaced that link with this one, from the Sept 18th Kick Off. Skip the first 2 minutes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2zLmO5uz8Q

The first ½ of the ~20 minute video reviews last season highlights; the last ½ is a more detailed update of this season’s event.

Event Registration Status

The percentage of teams registering for events has risen from 95% to 97% in the past week. Continuing to reach out to the last few teams.

Here is the direct link for Event Registration …. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/upcoming-events.html  If your team has not yet registered, please do so at once.

Reminder …. Naturally, teams are using the FTCNJ Registration System to select Preferred Meets, Bonus Meets and/or to say “Not Ready”

One more option is to select a Closed Meet in order to be “Wait Listed” for it. There is no assurance of “Wait Listed” teams getting in but that is an option too.

Teams not realizing this option can still do it now by submitting a “Change”.  Wait Listed slots and Bonus slots are assessed ~2 weeks prior to the event dates

COMMUNICATIONS

Coaches Caucus … (November 5th)

We are once again coming up on the first Friday of the month and time for another Coaches Caucus.

New Coaches, in particular, should be taking advantage of these sessions.

This time, we will be meeting just before the big two-event weekend (Sat Meet at Howell, Sun Meet at Montclair)

It will be great to hear about teams’ situation, preparations, and advice to share.

Here’s the Registration Link for Coaches: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvfu-grDgtH9VCROphYAqHDmqYi9v91Oya

Captains Caucus … (November 19th)

For those unacquainted, the monthly student-led meeting is an opportunity for student Team Leaders / Captains to meet and share best practices.

Breakout Groups are used and various leadership challenges and great ideas are discussed and documented.

The next Captains Caucus will be November 19th  (3rd Friday of the Month) at 8pm. Coaches are strongly urged to send their leaders.

Here is the Registration Link for Team Leaders: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAuce6hrT0vEtYQU_58rgOjnAc-SC0rPygk

COMPETITION NEWS

It is understood that all competitions are presently planned to be in-person events, but subject to change if pandemic conditions make it necessary.

We’ll keep everyone posted of any change, and all events will have a re-confirmation date 2 weeks prior to the event date.

The Season Calendar is updated on the FTCNJ Website to show event dates by League. http://www.newjerseyftc.com/season-calendar.html

Venue have now been found for all of the planned competitions. We are enormously grateful to those who have stepped forward.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

FIRST has announced that the World Championship will be held in Detroit: April 27 - April 30, 2022

League Tournament

All League Tournaments will take place in February and all fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference tournament.

The attachment shows the locations and dates for all Leagues/Conferences. All Venue Hosts are confirmed for the League Tournaments.

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

There will be two Meet opportunities for each League in January. Teams have a choice of a Saturday Meet or Sunday Meet.

There are four of January (Saturday) Meets (one in each League) which will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments.

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Late-Season Meets.

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December

There will be two normal Meet opportunities in each League in the period of Nov 20 – Dec 19. Teams have a choice of a Saturday or Sunday Meet.

Four of our Nov/Dec (Sunday) Meets (one in each League) will include “Practice Judging”, as a tune up for February’s official judging at League Tournaments

The attachment shows the locations and dates of Mid-Season Meets.

Early-Season/Holiday Meets (7) – 4 Early November Meets & 3 Holiday Meets (Halloween & Thanksgiving Weekend)

FTC NJ is continuing the tradition of offering each League one more special Meet opportunity. Many teams have taken advantage of this in past years.

Though the October 31st (Northeast Edge Meet) had to be canceled due to lack of team sign-up, the October 30th Meet is full speed ahead at Lenape Regional HS.

Two more Meets occur during the long four-day Thanksgiving weekend. The attachment shows the locations and dates of Early-Season/Holiday Meets.

ATTENDANCE POLICY

In making this in-person season happen, it is FTCNJ’s intent to allow all team members to attend, plus two adults per team. We want to avoid team member caps.

Unless the host site has tighter headcount restrictions, that headcount plan it going to be the standard practice.  It delivers some consistency, relative to adult attendees.

We are really trying to maintain in-person events and allow all team member students to attend throughout the season. COVID sensitive protocol has been promised to all.

While we understand that some teams have a number of additional, actively-involved adults, however, we need to set a consistent limit.

The general position is that all students on the team (maximum 15) are able to come in person, plus two adults to chaperone them. (Coaches can serve as the two adult chaperones.)

Teams that have parents driving far to deliver  students may be allowed to attend on an exception basis. (Coach must request and justify. We expect GP in requesting such exceptions.)

Sorry that we are unable to allow extra adult supporters and spectators this year.  We will be livestreaming the events this year, with the high hopes of getting fully back to normal next season.

COMMON COVID PROTOCOL

1.       Remember that Masks must be worn at all times at the event. This applies to all sites.

2.       The decision of whether to provide lunch or snacks will vary from host to host. FTCNJ will advise teams of the decision within a week (or more) of the event.

When necessary, teams should be prepared bring their own lunches. It would seem that most hosts will be selling pre-packaged snacks throughout the day, but FTCNJ will confirm on a site by site basis.

3.       Upon arrival, we will checking temperatures of everyone and affixing wrist bands before people are allowed into the event.

We’ve seen that this can cause some clustering at Check-In. We ask that only the coach initially approach Check-In and we will call the team members over when ready to test and wrist-band.

4.       We need very accurate information on who is attending the event. Make sure that you mark your roster to clearly indicate which students are present.

You can also indicate the names of the two adults accompanying the students. The adults would usually be the coaches, but can be their delegated alternate if both coaches are not coming.

5.       Thanks to all for supplying the headcount information. We will confirm on event-by-event basis but right now it appears that all students on the official team roster are welcome to attend events.

We ask that those not working on the robot spend most of the day in bleachers or chairs, watching the action, rather than clustering in the pits.  Let’s spread out.

6.       The event is being livestreamed on the FTCNJ YouTube Channel for friends and relatives to watch. Here is the link:  youtube.com/firsttechchallengenj

At this time, we are not allowing spectators at the Early-Season Meets in light of COVID precautions and protocol.

7.       All are asked to be conscientiously practicing social distancing throughout the day.

Assigned Pit Tables will be well spread out as much as possible. We are also re-positioning and managing Practice Fields to avoid clustering.

8.       Certain events will utilize the AM/PM Approach as a way to reduce in-person headcount relative to venue capacity.

At this time, it is the November 13th event at Don Bosco, the December 11th event at Grace Church Recreation Center, and January 8th at Liberty Science Center that are AM/PM.

Half of the teams would complete their matches in the morning, then depart. The other half would compete their matches after lunch.

Elimination Matches are not required for Meets. Teams leave after accomplishing their 5-6 head-to-head official Matches.

Teams involved in an AM/PM event will be asked for their preference of morning or afternoon play.

REMOTE SESSIONS/ TRAINING VIDEOS

     Posted Training:

Advanced Programming – Series Completion

The 8-Week Series completed. We thank FTA John McDonnell for being our host and all of the great teams that contributed presentation.

Kudos too, to all who attended and hopefully found some useful information to take their robot programming to the next level.

                                           All EIGHT Recordings have now been posted on the FTCNJ Website!  Here’s the Link: FTCNJ Training - FIRST Tech Challenge - New Jersey (newjerseyftc.com)

1.       Series Launch, Github & Version Control (09-01-21)

2.       Sensors in Teleop, Encoders, Color Sensors (09-08-21)

3.       Accelerometers, Gyros, Field Centric Driving using IMU (09-15-21)

4.       Camera Basics, OpenCV, TensorFlow Lite (09-22-21)

5.       Odometry Intro & Approach, Relative Position, Velocity (09-29-21)

6.       Field Centric Driving using Odometry, Localization & Mapping (10-06-21)

7.       Motion Profiling, Trajectory Planning (10-13-21)

8.       Road Runner Intro and use with Auto-Aim (10-20-21)

   Upcoming Training:

“FIRST Tech Challenge MACHINE LEARNING” … (November 3rd)

The Team Blast from FIRST on October 7th talked about the FTC Machine Learning Tool.

This tool allows FIRST Tech Challenge teams to create custom TensorFlow models for use in the FREIGHT FRENZY presented by Raytheon Technologies game.

TensorFlow can be “trained” to recognize your Team Shipping Element, Freight scoring elements, and more.

Models can be downloaded models for use in your autonomous and driver-controlled Op Modes.

Two team members from Watt NXT (Team #7350) are preparing a detailed presentation and will share it on Weds, November 3rd at 8pm.

Here’s the Registration Link for their Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpcO6gqDIqHNKMFOvfGCXH0oK-TVYJP85y

Onshape Workshops

The Krypton Warriors will be presenting material over three (7pm) Wednesday night sessions, beginning on November 10th

Here’s an outline and the Zoom Registration Links!

1st Workshop: Introduction to Sketching/Basic 3D Features

- mainly covering fundamentals of sketching with measurement tools

- a group-based or individual activity (based on how many students we have) where the goal is to sketch a semi-intricate shape we provide with the correct measurements

- begin delving into basic 3D features

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEpcuuorzwrGdXqW7ftUosYpn8zXVGmKKRa

2nd Workshop: 3D Features in Depth

- will cover the main features of 3D shapes important to robot design

- these include cutting holes, creating new sketches to cut specific shapes, revolving around axes, etc

- the activity will be to imitate an object to be provided. It will be attainable by using the features having been taught

                            https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpfu2rqzsiEtf01n2KKzPS2Ghvi0Wi4oZe

3rd Workshop: Intro to Assembly Design

- the last workshop will be dedicated to assembly design

- this will be based on putting different parts together to create a model of an attachment

- mainly cover the mating features and how to use websites like goBILDA to make assemblies realistic

                           https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpc-CrqjouGNT_nLRcxqzU9y9z-Cfmhvbo

Android Studio SDK / Github

Our Lead FTA in the Northern League, Rob Berry, will be hosting two sessions. See the outline below.

This offering is based on the interest raised at recent Practice Days, and unable to squeeze into those days.

Two (8pm) Monday sessions are scheduled. The Registration Links are below.

Session 1 : Android Studio SDK Workflow (Nov 8th at 8pm)

1.           Overview of Android Studio

2.           Importing Sdk from file

3.           Navigating Sdk

4.           Finding sample code

5.           Making a copy of sample code to test/modify

6.           Building the code project

7.           Putting on phone

8.           Importing new version of Sdk from file

9.           A. Make copy of team code

10.         B. Importing new Sdk

11.         Side loading apps
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsduGsrTMrG9LX1LDtRT-zgZOqN2AVRF1D

Section 2 : Using GitHub (Nov 15th at 8pm)

1.           Getting an GitHub account

2.           Setting Android studio for using GitHub

3.           Pulling code into project

4.           Pulling update of Sdk

5.           Putting team code on GitHub

6.           Using version control

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvde2srzgsHtPg6bg7-uXZrUtNgtOzrk50

Training Videos:

Freight Frenzy Officiating Training

Once again this year, FIRST has engaged our very own League Head Referee Julia Berry to create these training videos.

As you can see below, it is a three-part series that Julia narrates with excellent technical support by her husband, our FTA Rob Berry.

Julia’s description of the game elements, scoring and use of the scoring system is outstanding. Listen carefully; you’ll learn a lot.

FIRST has posted these videos on their YouTube Channel, but if you did not spot them there, here they are….

Super work by Julia and Rob Berry. Enjoy!

Video 1 - Field and Game Elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Kb5KhRvw&t=25s

Video 2 - Scoring Referee Training

https://youtu.be/bb4akI3s5Cw

Video 3 - Electric Scoring Tablets and Paper Scoring

https://youtu.be/wHb5LaWzjVQ

FTCNJ STEM Girls

INITIATIVE TEAMS STILL FORMING

It was great to see female team members and some of their Coaches join the STEM Girls AND join the various Initiative Teams. (Initiatives listed below.)

There is still time for more to join. It would be wonderful to have all female team members and coaches become part of this organization.

Here’s a link that girls can use to identify the team(s) of most interest to them.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqSm2p6t5A1HnGghwcEelG2UzUGz2u9t83G2lCSt6i6s2eog/viewform

STEM Girls Mixers and Briefings

(Gathering to exchange ideas, Pulling together the presenting valuable information)

STEM Girls Tech Team

(Lunchtime Tech Talks at the Field, Training Videos, …)

STEM Girls Role Models & Guest Speakers

(Interviewing Skills, Hosting Guest Speakers, Working with Bios…)

STEM Girls Motivate & Alum Engagement

(Recruiting New Members, Marketing, Engaging FTC Alum, …)

UPCOMING INITIATIVE TEAM MEETING

Initiative Teams meet with their Mentors on the 2nd Friday of the Month.  The next Initiative Zoom is Friday, November 12th at 8pm.

Here is the Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMlcOGrqDsjEtwH0tZ4CIYcEh-oqDwQwlRY

TECH-TALK TOPIC SURVEY (INPUT NEEDED!!!)

As many know, the FTCNJ STEM Girls have been delivering Tech Talks, at the competition field at lunchtime for several years.

Last year, due to COVID, the Tech Talks were virtual. This year, they are both!

We need your input, as a coach, mentor, student or interested party.  Male or Female!

Please use this link to help us decide which are the best topics to offer. https://forms.gle/SfQz45udSxwcGpfe8

1.           New FTC Electrical Components (Drivers Hub, Control Hub, Expansion Hub)

2.           Linkages (Four-Bar, Rack Pinion, Linkages with Chain)

3.           Motors/Servos (Inner Workings, Robot Application Considerations)

4.           Active Intakes (Grabbers, Wheels, etc.)

5.           Odometry Pods (Hardware/Mechanical Approaches)

6.           Power Transmission (Gears, Belts, Chains, Direct Power)

STEM GIRLS GET-TOGTHER #1 (November 23rd @ 7:30pm)
Past participants will remember these monthly get-togethers.

During the first 30-minutes, there is a “Mixer” where girls can gather and discuss topics of mutual interest.

During the final 30-minutes, there will be two role model Guest Speakers who share their experience and take questions.

Our Guest Speakers will be Dr. Jan Cardinale and Software Engineer Cassie Rothrauff. (Both of these professionals also have FTC coaching experience.)

Here’s the Registration Link for the session.    https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMtc-ihpzgiHd2D4bYyMnb7TdN0ZpnfcCE5

FTCNJ News

Photo Permission Waiver

Once again this year, FTCNJ is soliciting a state-level permission to allow person’s image to shown in FTC-related videos and stills.

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it. This is particularly important for mentoring teams and our volunteer instructors.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

DonorsChoose

FIRST has suggested that we remind our educators from US public, US public charter schools, and Head Start programs to create and post their projects on DonorsChoose before November 4th .

It is close to award time. If you are submitting a Project Description be sure to use the full name of the FIRST Program (i.e., FIRST Tech Challenge as opposed to “FTC”). Good luck if you are submitting a project.

FIRST Tech Challenge Rookie Grants

For anyone thinking of starting a brand new FIRST Tech Challenge rookie team, $500 rookie grants available!

Teams that haven’t yet registered for the 2021-2022 and are located in North America are eligible! Learn more on FIRST’s  grants webpage!

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue!)

Our next newsletter will be on November 9th .

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

image003.png