FTCNJ Tuesday Newsday - May 31 2022 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

May 31, 2022, 10:56:19 PM5/31/22
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday, FIRST Tech Challenge NJ

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

This notification email (containing a bit of news) is being sent to everyone on the existing Newsletter Distribution list.

As always, you can very easily opt-out from receiving it. (See that process at the bottom of this email.)

Or, if you wish to suspend distribution during the off-season, simply send that note to this address and we’ll omit you until September.

Otherwise, the newsletter will coming out on Tuesdays (typically)

Remember that the updates are shown in blue bold text.

If you are a weekly reader, you can just quickly scan the BLUE to see what is NEW.

The black text is included for completeness sake and for our new readers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

·       Team Coach Survey

o   Thanks to all who have responded to the Coach Survey.

o   You’ll see a number of excerpts from the Survey below … and more in the Newsletters to follow.

o   We are sending out a final reminder to the non-respondents. Then, the Coach Survey is closed.

·       FTCNJ State Championship March 2023

o   Morris Knolls High School has now been confirmed as the site for the March 12, 2023 State Championship.

o   We are delighted to return to Morris Knolls following their highly successful inaugural State Championship there last March.

Quick Links:

Communication Caucuses

Off-Season Activities

Volunteers

Competition News

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

COMMUNICATIONS CAUCUSES

Coaches Caucus (June 10th) … Accomplished

Thanks to the coaches who attended the May 20th Caucus Zoom.

June’s Coach Caucus is 6/10 at 7pm); beyond June, we’ll revert to the 1st Friday of the month.

Here’s the Registration Link (for interested Coaches): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwpcO6gqT0tHtY_Vqk2qmTiM7wSxGxfxhOo

Team Leader Caucus … (Suspended)

At this monthly student-led Zoom, student Team Leaders meet to share best practices.

Last season, student participants voted to pause the caucus during summer break. Seniors were college-bound …

FTCNJ has reached out to Captains and offered a May 27th Caucus. Less than a handful of students registered.

It is clear that we should suspend the sessions once again until the new season starts and interest resumes.

No problem here. Looking forward to the resumption in September.

OFF-SEASON ACTIVITIES

In-Person Workshops

Kean University has confirmed that FTCNJ may hold the Workshop there again this year … on August 20th.

As discussed at the Coach Caucus and covered in the Survey, the 2nd Workshop will be held after the Sept 10th Kick-Off.

Also some new tracks are being considered, that will provide team members with an abridged treatment of a workshop topic.

For instance, new members may be able to sample programming, CAD, and mechanical mini-tracks to help discover their key interest.

Remote Workshops

Nearly 70% of our responding teams expressed an interest in Remote Workshops …with about ½ willing to contribute/present, if needed.

Of the non-hands-on topics, Fundraising and Outreach Planning were the most popular, followed closely by Team Organization/Communication.

Programming and OnShape also ranked very high, but those topics may be more effectively addressed at the in-person Workshops.

Gathering more input and more planning to take place.

              FTCNJ-Driven Outreaches

              In addition to Team-driven Outreaches, it is desirable to have events targeted at certain specific geographic areas of NJ.

                             Strong, successful FTCNJ teams are needed to help with these events in late June and late July.

                             Twelve respondents expressed a willingness to assist at FTCNJ-driven Outreaches.

FTCNJ will take the next step, which is aligning the offered support with the geographic need.

More planning to follow

              Team-Driven Outreaches

              We know that many teams hold these events during the year and more frequently in the off-season.

              There is interest in helping publicize and support these Outreaches, when FTCNJ resources may be available.

              A successful Outreach, inspiring more team formation, is great for all.

Two upcoming Outreach events … one in Somerset County and one in Gloucester County

·       The Somerset effort is being driven by the Cyber-Raptors (#8812) and Cyber-Falcons (#7040)

·       The teams will also be demoing their robots at the Somerset County 4-H Fair on Thursday morning August 11th.

·       The Gloucester effort is being driven by the Clearview FTC organization.

·       The Clearview STEM Showcase event will take place on June 8th from 6:00 - 8:30.

·       The purpose is to get many young children, especially Elementary through High School students in the surrounding Harrison Township community, exposed to STEM and get excited for some of the amazing opportunities within their community.

·       In addition to Clearview STEM Clubs and FIRST teams promoting what they do, they have some companies sponsoring Clearview FIRST teams at the event.

·       Clearview will also have their Robotics and Computer Science curriculums on display with some students presenting independent projects they've worked on this past year.

·       Sounds great! Let us know what your team(s) are up to J

VOLUNTEERS

Technical Volunteers

Those who were with us last year know that FTCNJ was short-handed on technical volunteers, particularly in the south.

The FTCNJ Committee is considering two initiatives to address this situation.

              Adult “Team FTA” Volunteers

              Under consideration is a training program to develop more FTA talent within teams.

              This will help teams to be more self-sufficient if the shortage of FTA’s cannot be resolved.

              Additionally, it is hoped that adult mentors who receive this training are willing to volunteer at a few events.

              Being a volunteer-driven organization, we really need team adults who are willing to lend a hand.

              Perhaps offering training will inspire some who may be unsure of requirements and “on the fence”.

Eight of our responding teams have expressed a willingness to help. We will be gratefully reaching out to them with more info.

Student “FTA Assistant” Volunteers

              Under consideration is a training program to develop more FTA Assistant volunteers within the teams.

              The goal is to develop a cadre of Student FTA Assistants to assist our FTA volunteers.

              Guidelines will be developed. Coaches will be asked for concurrence regarding any applying student.

              Duties will include assisting with inspections, checking robot readiness on the queuing table, etc

              Eleven of our responding teams have expressed interest by their student(s). More to come.

COMPETITION NEWS

Season Plan

We are beginning to construct the season plan now.

Once again there will be 4 Leagues in FTCNJ with each comprised of 2 Conferences of 20-25 teams, organized by county.

The Coach Survey solicited intent-to-return information to help in the league/conference planning. Pursuing the non-respondents.

Little change in Conferences is anticipated. The only change foreseen at this moment is due to the great team growth in Bergen County. Kudos!

All Bergen County teams will continue to be in the NE Edge League, though some may shift to the Northeast Conference.

As always, teams in can participate in the Meets of either Conference within their League.

POWER Plan Season Team Registration OPEN

Nine teams are already listed for NJ.

7 of the 9 are fully registered; while two are pending.

6 of the 9 are returning teams … and 3 are brand new rookies.

Hoping to see more folks registering soon, as their situation permits.

Welcome back all!

Kick-Off News

FTCNJ is anticipating a return to in-person Kick-Off Events this year.

We are communicating with previous hosts and will be sharing more information when it is available.

State Championship – March 12, 2023

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held on Sunday, March 12th

That is one week later than the Freight Frenzy Season and will allow us to insert a snow-day weekend (which wasn’t possible last year).

In-Person Judging is anticipated at the State Championship, as well as at League Tournaments.

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS: Tech Talks

No additional Tech Talks are planned for during the off-season, however topic ideas are very much welcome.

We look forward to Tech Talks resuming in the Fall, as well as other remote training sessions.

STEM GIRLS: Events

One final “Get Together” Zoom is planned. The date for the on-line virtual session in June 14th at 7:30pm.

It will be the season Grand Finale, will cite accomplishments, cover college plans, and ideas for next year.

All Opted-In STEM Girls have been invited to attend.

If you are a STEM Girl and missed the invitation, here’s the registration link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvcuqurTgpE9cbNEinTmaslp8dIAUS2Xrz

For any girls interested, it’s never too late to join the STEM Girls community!
Sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfca5j11yjtAW6OJmRzbbwKyrSOrt8a5tty9SojZkwYLJLvCw/viewform

FTCNJ News

NY Opportunity:  FIRST Tech Challenge Coach Position

FTCNJ has been approached by Edgemont Team #11205 and asked to pass along this information.

Edgemont Robotics based in Scarsdale, NY is looking for a coach to guide the team during the 2022-2023 academic year.

FTC experience required. Evening/weekend hours possible. This is a paid position.

Please email vish...@gmail.com or text 1-917-833-8715 for further information

Members Seeking Team

FTCNJ has been contacted by the coach of a Bridgewater FLL Team.

The coach reports that a few of their members are aging out of FLL and would like to join an FTC team.

Are there any teams out there in the Bridgewater area that are interested and able to take on such new members?

FLL experience is always a nice plus when bringing on new people.

If your team can help, please respond back to vfras...@aol.com

Our next newsletter will be on June 7th

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and we’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey