FTCNJ Off-Season - Tuesday Newsday Returning ... (Sent via Google Group)

6 vues

Vince Frascella

non lue,
15 mai 2022, 20:14:1615/05/2022
à Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

We hope that all are well and have been resting up following the busy League Tournament and Championship season.

After our brief pause, the weekly Newsletter is re-starting … to cover our pre-season events and on into the new year.

This notification email (containing a bit of news) is being sent to everyone on the existing Newsletter Distribution list.

As always, you can very easily opt-out from receiving it. (See that process at the bottom of this email.)

Or, if you wish to suspend distribution during the off-season, simply send that note to this address and we’ll omit you until September.

Otherwise, the newsletter will coming out on Tuesdays (typically)

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

·       Thanks Again

o   One last Thank You to all of our in-person and remote-activity volunteers for the solid success of last season.

o   It was so great to hold the competitions in-person once again and the huge effort by all of our remote-judging volunteers is really appreciated.

o   Congratulations to all of the participating teams and kudos to their coaches, parents, and supporters.

·       Worlds

o   It was great to see our 3 NJ teams at Worlds (i.e., 7149 Enforcers, 14481 Don’t Blink, 18246 Delta V)

o   Two of our three teams were award nominees in the categories of Design and Innovate. Nice showing among the 160 teams in Houston.

o   A big “Well Done!” to our participating teams and their organizations.

·       Team Coach Survey

o   As we plan the new season, it is important to hear from our Freight Frenzy Season teams.

o   Within the next few days, a short Survey will be sent to all coaches of record from last year’s FTCNJ teams.

o   Feedback on last season and input on new activities (some discussed in this newsletter) is being solicited.

o   The Coach Survey is being sent on May 16th and coach responses are needed by May 22nd, please.

ON THE HORIZON
:

Outreach Scrimmages - Late June / Late July

o   More information is provided below. This is the time of year when FTCNJ typically holds these events.

o   The purpose is to create and support initiatives that inspire team growth and new member experience.

In-Person Workshops – Late August

o   In August 2021, FTCNJ was able to host an in-person Workshop at Kean University.

o   It is hoped to reprise that practice this August. (August 20th is the current target date.)

o   More information below.

Quick Links:

Communication Caucuses

Off-Season Activities

Volunteers

Competition News

STEM Girls

FTCNJ News

COMMUNICATIONS CAUCUSES

Coaches Caucus (May 20th)

Last season, Coach Caucus participants voted to continue the monthly Zoom caucuses through the summer break.

Continuing that practice this year will be based on response from coaches.

We know that some coaches may like to continue the monthly discussion, while other look forward to a break.

A note will be sent to current coaches with the link to the potential May session. Response will determine whether the session is held.

In addition to past-season feedback and thoughts for the new year, pre-submittal discussion of the (5/22) Coach Survey can take place.

Ordinarily, the Caucus is the first Friday of the month but this special session will be on 05/20/22 (7pm).

Here’s the Registration Link wanting to sign up now : https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAocOGsrTkqHdEYaQvteYpbBV0lWGQvfLtR

Team Leader Caucus … (May 27th)

At this monthly student-led Zoom, student Team Leaders meet to share best practices.

Last season, student participants voted to pause the caucus during summer break. Seniors were college-bound …

Before assuming suspension again, FTCNJ will poll Freight Frenzy leader participants to determine whether to pause.

If not pausing, the off-season topics will include planning for next season, outreaches, workshops, …

Similar to the Coaches Caucus, the level of interest shown in registration will determine whether the summer sessions are held.

Ordinarily, the Caucus is the third Friday of the month but this special session will be on 05/27/22 (7pm).

Here’s the Registration Link wanting to sign up now : https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAtcuuvrzwjH9UF8_gNCE6UGBGIXEkEP_vI

OFF-SEASON ACTIVITIES

In-Person Workshops

As mentioned above, a late August Workshop is being planned.

Some will remember that FTCNJ held two in-person Workshops in August 2019 and a handful of years prior.

One of the Coach Survey questions will ask whether a 2nd Workshop would be more helpful if occurring subsequent to Kick-Off.

The new approach would improve accessibility for late-forming teams and the teams whose members gather after the start of school.

Remote Workshops

We are delighted at the return of in-person Workshops. That said, there were some neat advantages to the Remote Workshops, as well.

One advantage was the ability to reach more participants state-wide via the Zoom event. Recordings of the event was another benefit.

The Coach Survey will solicit interest in Remote Workshops, including the topics that can treated effectively that way. Not all can be.

              FTCNJ-Driven Outreaches

              In addition to Team-driven Outreaches, it is desirable to have events targeted at certain specific geographic areas of NJ.

              FTCNJ would definitely commit resources to these events (e.g., Outreach Scrimmages).

                             Strong, successful FTCNJ teams are needed to help with these events in late June and late July.

                             Please reach out to FTCNJ if interested in helping.

                             More to come regarding Outreaches in the weekly Newsletter.

              Team-Driven Outreaches

              We know that many teams hold these events during the year and more frequently in the off-season.

              The team owns the event, plans it and determines its scope.

              FTCNJ sometimes only hears about such events during judging or casual conversation.

              There is interest in helping publicize and support these Outreaches, when FTCNJ resources may be available.

              A successful Outreach, inspiring more team formation, is great for all.

VOLUNTEERS

Technical Volunteers

Those who were with us last year know that FTCNJ was short-handed on technical volunteers, particularly in the south.

The FTCNJ Committee is considering two initiatives to address this situation.

              Adult “Team FTA” Volunteers

              Under consideration is a training program to develop more FTA talent within teams.

              This will help teams to be more self-sufficient if the shortage of FTA’s cannot be resolved.

              Additionally, it is hoped that adult mentors who receive this training are willing to volunteer at a few events.

              Being a volunteer-driven organization, we really need team adults who are willing to lend a hand.

              Perhaps offering training will inspire some who may be unsure of requirements and “on the fence”.

Student “FTA Assistant” Volunteers

              Under consideration is a training program to develop more FTA Assistant volunteers within the teams.

              The goal is to develop a cadre of Student FTA Assistants to assist our FTA volunteers.

              Guidelines will be developed. Coaches will be asked for concurrence regarding any applying student.

              Duties will include assisting with inspections, checking robot readiness on the queuing table, etc

COMPETITION NEWS

Season Plan

We are beginning to construct the season plan now.

Once again there will be 4 Leagues in FTCNJ with each comprised of 2 Conferences of 20-25 teams, organized by county.

The Coach Survey will solicit intent-to-return information to help in the league/conference planning.

FTCNJ expects to return to in-person judge interviews for League Tournaments and the State Championship.

State Championship – March 12, 2023

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held on Sunday, March 12th

That is one week later than the Freight Frenzy Season and will allow us to insert a snow-day weekend (which wasn’t possible last year).

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS: Tech Talks

No additional Tech Talks are planned for during the off-season, however topic ideas are very much welcome.

We look forward to Tech Talks resuming in the Fall, as well as other remote training sessions.

STEM GIRLS: Events

The Freight Frenzy Season has included some great “Get Together’s”

Guest Speakers have included Lead Engineers, Computer Science Professional, and ER Physician.

Mixers touched on really useful topics and STEM Girl alum returned to share their experience.

Plans for one more event prior to the summer break are being considered. Stay tuned.

For any girls interested, it’s not too late to join the STEM Girls community!
Sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfca5j11yjtAW6OJmRzbbwKyrSOrt8a5tty9SojZkwYLJLvCw/viewform

FTCNJ News

Community Conference

Representatives of FTCNJ will be (virtually) attending the FIRST Conference (June 6th – 9th).

Notable news to be shared.

Our next newsletter will be on May 24th … and on Tuesdays thereafter.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur