Special Edition: Tuesday Newsday - October 31 2021 ... (Sent via Google Group)

8 wyświetleń

Vince Frascella

nieprzeczytany,
31 paź 2021, 16:47:1231.10.2021
do Google Group - Tuesday Newsday

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

              Happy Halloween!

              Big things happening in FTCNJ and thought we’d get the word out before Tuesday!

HEADLINES:

FIRST OFFICIAL IN-PERSON EVENT OF THE SEASON HAPPENS!

On Saturday, October 30th, thirteen teams came out to play six official Matches each in the first live event since 2019.

Big thanks to our host Lenape Regional High School, to our volunteers and to the participating teams.

It was a day of exciting and fun matches. So great to see those four robots and drive teams at the field.

Kudos to all!

FIRST DOUBLE EVENT WEEKEND COMING UP!

Good luck to all who are participating on Saturday (Nov 6) at Howell HS and Sunday (Nov 7) at ICHS in Montclair!

The season is off and running!

              Check out the hot happenings that did not make it into last Tuesday’s Newsletter. We wanted you to know about them now!

Quick Links (STEM Girls):

STEM Girls Tech-Talk Topics

STEM Girls Initiative Teams

STEM Girls First Initiative Teams Meeting

Quick Links (Tech):

Wednesday Eve Zooms on Onshape

Two Monday Eve Zooms on SDK/GitHub

Introduction to FTC Machine Learning

STEM Girls Tech-Talk Topics

As many know, the FTCNJ STEM Girls have been delivering Tech Talks, at the competition field at lunchtime for several years.

Last year, due to COVID, the Tech Talks were virtual. This year, they are both!

We need your input, as a coach, mentor, student or interested party.  Male or Female!

Please use this link to help us decide which are the best topics to offer. https://forms.gle/SfQz45udSxwcGpfe8

1.           New FTC Electrical Components (Drivers Hub, Control Hub, Expansion Hub)

2.           Linkages (Four-Bar, Rack Pinion, Linkages with Chain)

3.           Motors/Servos (Inner Workings, Robot Application Considerations)

4.           Active Intakes (Grabbers, Wheels, etc.)

5.           Odometry Pods (Hardware/Mechanical Approaches)

6.           Power Transmission (Gears, Belts, Chains, Direct Power)

STEM Girls Initiative Teams

Our Initiative Leads have done a great job of providing an overview of the four Initiative areas.

Female robot students have been selecting their initiatives of interest using the link below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqSm2p6t5A1HnGghwcEelG2UzUGz2u9t83G2lCSt6i6s2eog/viewform

If you are a female student, mentor or coach, there is still time to join an Initiative team.

Here’s a synopsis of the teams…

STRONGER: Increase girl's confidence through expanding exposure to fellow successful women in STEM through guest speakers, panel discussion, and biographies.

This year, we are encouraging our Working Group to survey and choose different career paths.

We will cover one career each month by exploring different aspects of that career, and finding guest speakers who can explain their education and career path – and answer questions.

We will also have the opportunity to plan in person events, such as the Women in Power Round Table at the State Championship.

TOGETHER: Engage girls throughout FTC in group meetings and exploring topics of pertinent common interest such a career selection, college selection, scholarship pursuance, and experiences as a female robotics team member.

This year, we hope to expand our Mixers to include new features, similar to the Kahoot and Jamboard used last year … in order to engage and educate the NJSG Community.

We will also have the opportunity to plan live Mixers, or get-togethers at the League Tournaments.

EMPOWERED:  Through demonstrated excellence, earn the reputation of strong technical participants in FTC including Remote Training, Lunchtime Tech-Talks, and training videos.

We are encouraging our Working group to develop a list of possible topics to develop either live or recorded training sessions.

We will also have the opportunity to give mini- sessions, or previews at League Meets.

MOTIVATED: Contribute to FTC growth and expand STEM Girls to reach more young women through communication, marketing, and alum engagement.

This year, we are giving our Motivate Working Group the opportunity to be the Marketing, PR and Outreach arm of the NJ STEM Girls.

Projects can include Interviews or PR Articles for social media, flyers and other media to be displayed at events, as well as designing a dynamic Outreach and Engagement program for FTCNJSG Alumnae.

STEM Girls First Initiative Team Meeting

As more and more girls sign up, it is time to have the first Initiative Meeting. (November 2nd at 7pm)

Each of the four groups will meet within a Breakout Room to begin firming up their vision and plans for the season ahead.

Here’s the link to the Tuesday night session: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsf-yoqz8tEtJV7_AIWG7h-e8JZ4p5JwL5

Looking forward to a nice turn out of interested female students and their supportive female mentors / coaches.

Onshape Workshops

The Krypton Warriors will be presenting material over three (7pm) Wednesday night sessions, beginning on November 10th

Here’s an outline and the Zoom Registration Links!

1st Workshop: Introduction to Sketching/Basic 3D Features

- mainly covering fundamentals of sketching with measurement tools

- a group-based or individual activity (based on how many students we have) where the goal is to sketch a semi-intricate shape we provide with the correct measurements

- begin delving into basic 3D features

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEpcuuorzwrGdXqW7ftUosYpn8zXVGmKKRa

2nd Workshop: 3D Features in Depth

- will cover the main features of 3D shapes important to robot design

- these include cutting holes, creating new sketches to cut specific shapes, revolving around axes, etc

- the activity will be to imitate an object to be provided. It will be attainable by using the features having been taught

              https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpfu2rqzsiEtf01n2KKzPS2Ghvi0Wi4oZe

3rd Workshop: Intro to Assembly Design

- the last workshop will be dedicated to assembly design

- this will be based on putting different parts together to create a model of an attachment

- mainly cover the mating features and how to use websites like goBILDA to make assemblies realistic

              https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpc-CrqjouGNT_nLRcxqzU9y9z-Cfmhvbo

Android Studio SDK / Github

Our Lead FTA in the Northern League, Rob Berry, will be hosting two sessions. See the outline below.

This offering is based on the interest raised at recent Practice Days, and unable to squeeze into those days.

Two (8pm) Monday sessions are scheduled. The Registration Links are below.

Session 1 : Android Studio SDK Workflow (Nov 8th at 8pm)

1.           Overview of Android Studio

2.           Importing Sdk from file

3.           Navigating Sdk

4.           Finding sample code

5.           Making a copy of sample code to test/modify

6.           Building the code project

7.           Putting on phone

8.           Importing new version of Sdk from file

9.           A. Make copy of team code

10.         B. Importing new Sdk

11.         Side loading apps
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsduGsrTMrG9LX1LDtRT-zgZOqN2AVRF1D

Section 2 : Using GitHub (Nov 15th at 8pm)

1.           Getting an GitHub account

2.           Setting Android studio for using GitHub

3.           Pulling code into project

4.           Pulling update of Sdk

5.           Putting team code on GitHub

6.           Using version control

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvde2srzgsHtPg6bg7-uXZrUtNgtOzrk50

FTC Machine Learning (November 3rd at 8pm)

The Team Blast from FIRST on October 7th talked about the FTC Machine Learning Tool.

This tool allows FIRST Tech Challenge teams to create custom TensorFlow models for use in the FREIGHT FRENZY presented by Raytheon Technologies game.

TensorFlow can be “trained” to recognize your Team Shipping Element, Freight scoring elements, and more.

Models can be downloaded models for use in your autonomous and driver-controlled Op Modes.

Two team members from Watt NXT (Team #7350) are preparing a detailed presentation and will share it on Weds, November 3rd at 8pm.

Here’s the Registration Link for their Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpcO6gqDIqHNKMFOvfGCXH0oK-TVYJP85y

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

And, thanks to all of our teams who are providing live-action venues and/or the Zooms above.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

More to come.

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

Odpowiedz wszystkim