(Almost) Tuesday Newsday - January 19 ... (Sent via Google Group)

Vince Frascella

Jan 19, 2022, 9:58:04 PM1/19/22
to Google Group - Tuesday Newsday, FIRST Tech Challenge NJ

Greetings Newsletter Subscribers and FTCNJ Coaches

Here is our weekly update on our “Freight Frenzy” Season.

New information is shown in blue text. Hot items in Highlight!

Welcome to all of our new coaches/subscribers.

If you have any questions about you are reading, below, just drop us a line. Glad to explain.

HEADLINES:

·       Rescheduled January 9th Event – As most know, the January 9th Meet (like the January 8th Meet) did not occur due to holiday-Omicron concerns.

Teams were notified in late December and 01/22 was the target date for recovery. We’ve been working with the great folks at Pingry to reschedule the event.

FTCNJ received the final approval for the postponed Central-West Meet to occur on Saturday, January 22nd. Volunteers and teams descend on Pingry this Saturday!

·       Dean’s List  – Thanks to our DL Orientation volunteers and our Coach/Team Nominators.
FTCNJ is pleased to announce 71 Dean’s List Nominations were received by the Jan 15th Deadline!

·       STEM Girls January Happenings

o   January 27th is the next evening Get-Together … with a virtual Mixer at 7:30 and Guest Speakers at 8pm

o   January 31st at 8pm, the “Empower” team will be hold at Tech Talk on Active Intake Systems.

§  Links are provided in the STEM Girls section of this document.

ON THE HORIZON
:

Wednesday, January 20th

Remote Practice Judging (Central-West & Northern League Teams) – Deliberations & Awards Announcements at 9pm

Friday, January 21st

Remote Practice Judging Orientation (Southern & NE Edge League Teams) – Readying participating teams for their Jan 24th – Jan 26 Remote Judging Event

Saturday, January 22nd

Concurrent In-Person Meets Being Held!!!

·       Central-West League Meet is being held at new host “The Delbarton School” in Morristown

·       The rescheduled Pingry Meet being held after its January 9th postponement.

Thank you hosts, teams, and super volunteers!

Sunday, January 23rd

In-Person Meet (Northern League) – This event at Blair Academy includes the teams from the canceled Liberty Science Center event.

More detail on all of the above (and links) appear later in this document.

Quick Links:

Communication Caucuses

Dean’s List

Remote Practice Judging

Competition News

STEM Girls

FTCNJ & FIRST News

          REGISTRATION STATUS

Team Status

A warm Welcome to this season’s 21 New Teams!

It appears our final count will be 178 FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey teams that have registered with FIRST.

o   Northern League (40 Teams), Northeast Edge League (46 Teams), Central West League (45 Teams), Southern League (47 Teams)

Assignment to Conferences / Leagues are based on county of team registration. This information is posted on the FTCNJ website.

Newark Public School (NPS) Teams

Our contact with the NPS has advised that the Newark teams will NOT be allowed to travel to the League Tournaments.

FTCNJ is quickly assessing the situation and how it affects the Northern League’s February tournaments. The plan will be shown in next week’s Newsletter.

Northeast Edge League

It is noteworthy that the growth of the Bergen County Conference (33 teams) has far outpaced its sister Northeast Conference (12 teams).

There has been no impact on the full season’s League Meets, however, action is needed to address the lopsided Conference tournament situation.

FTCNJ has asked the Bergen County Conference teams if approximately 10 are willing to move to the Northeast Conference League Tournament.

We really appreciate some of the swift support from the Comets, Delta-V, and two of the Ironmen teams. Hope that more teams step up to help out.

COMMUNICATIONS CAUCUSES

Coaches Caucus … (January 7thß Accomplished!

Thanks to all who made January’s Coach Caucus a success. Special thanks to Joe Levy, Jeff Jenkins, Matt Ducker Duffy, Diane Shevell and Dave Desai

The above Coaches shared their experiences on… Remote Practice Judging, League Tournaments, Dean's List, and Coping with COVID.

In light of League Tournaments, Remote Judging and Dean’s List activities, FTCNJ is postponing our February Coaches Caucus.

Our next Coaches Caucus will be the first Friday in March, rather than Feb 4th

Captains Caucus … (January 28th

At this monthly student-led Zoom, student Team Leaders meet to share best practices.

Next Meeting’s Agenda: (A) Programming Topics, (B) Mechanical Topics, (C) Competition Topics, (D) Judging Topics and (E) Communication & Coordination.

The next Captains Caucus is 8pm (Friday, January 28th). Team Leaders can register for it and rank their topic of most interest.

Here’s the Link. Team Leaders should use it asap to help set the topics: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYlce6sqzoqGNBoydp5vZrqU5j0zhXm9SBr

DEAN’S LIST

Dean’s List Overview

In an effort to recognize the leadership and dedication of FIRST’s most outstanding secondary school students, the Kamen family sponsors an award
for selected 10th and 11th grade students known as the FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge Dean’s List. Prestigious colleges have
expressed great interest in meeting Dean’s List’s Award winners and FIRST hopes that each Team will take advantage of the opportunity to nominate
the most qualified students as FIRST Dean’s List Nominees!

Dean’s List Nominations

Each Team may nominate up to 2 Students as Dean’s List Candidates.

It had been previously noted that 58 Nominations were submitted during the Ultimate Goal season. The most students ever nominated!

Thanks again to the volunteers who assisted with DL orientations and our coaches who have submitted the 2022 nominations.

We are proud to report that 71 students have been nominated by their teams/coaches as “Dean’s List Semi-Finalists”. Congratulations to all.

REMOTE PRACTICE JUDGING

The calendar schedule for the remaining Remote Practice Judging event is shown below.

Since this is Practice, FTCNJ is able to blend the teams from two Leagues into one team pool for these practice sessions.

The schedule for Northeast Edge and Southern League (below) follow the timing used for the Central-West and Northern Leagues sessions.

On Friday (January 21st) there is Training/Refresher Training on the Remote Judging process. Coaches and Team Leaders are welcome to attend the Training Night.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEuceCuqzIqGNbg5OAdUC5FCB1Jl2dFTxjf

Teams who have registered for the Jan 24-26 Event will receive the Registration Links and Interview Appointment Schedule on January 20th.

Though 6pm-9pm spans are blocked out, individual teams need only attend during their short interview time.

Appointments for the 2nd Interview (which replaces “Pit Interviews”) must be created following Night #1 and will be issued by 10am on January 25th.

The only team commitment on Night #3 is to tune in to the Zoom at 9pm to hear the Certificate Award announcement.

cid:image001.png@01D80234.74B280C0

COMPETITION NEWS

January 15th Event – Henry P Becton Regional High School stepped up to host the January 15th Northeast Edge League Meet.
Big thanks to Lis Mackanin and Team #13617 Bectobots for the great job of hosting the event. First time host; super job!!!

January 16th Event  – Thanks to Hector Tavarez and the EHT PAL Enforcers organization for the great job of hosting the Sunday Southern League Meet.
They had been the host for the Turnpike Division of the State Championship last season and applied all of their experience with COVID protocol nicely again.

Why Not Just Go Remote? – Some folks may be wondering why FTCNJ does not simply finish the season with Remote Meets in Period #3 (January).
We have cleanly made it through Period #1 and #2 in In-Person format. Why not cleanly go full Remote in Period #3??? … Here’s the answer…

It is not an option to blend Remote and In-Person scores. FIRST’s position (understandably) is that the earning of the points is different, in Remote.

FTCNJ has approached FIRST to explore this option in December. The bottom line is that …going Remote in January  converts the Meets to unofficial Scrimmages.

We understand FIRST’s position and, as you can see, FTCNJ is doing whatever is possible to retain the In-Person Meets in January.
It’s understood that some teams really need these events to be official Meets. Let’s continue to see what we can do.
Believe us, … if continuing really becomes unviable or safety concerns rise, we will put safety first and abort the in-person Meets. Really not there yet.

Google Group Queuing

More and more of our venues are utilizing Google Group to assist with Queuing and to send other important event messages to teams.

Look for the QR code that is pre-printed on your Team’s Pit Sign or ask the host about it. Use your smart phone and stay well informed!

Information Packets

During this unique season, it is taking little bit longer to settle the details of events and participating teams.

Please expect our detailed Information Packets to be provided by the end of the day on the preceding Monday (as opposed to the preceding weekend).

This will allow a bit more time to lock down any last minute changes. Event planning is little more dynamic this season, for all.

Venue Address, participating Team List, Check-In Time, and any special  COVID Protocols should already be posted on our FTCNJ website, though.

And, questions on critically needed information will be promptly answered as best we can.

                             Meet Results

While we are not having formal Closing Ceremonies at our Meets, a summary of results is available shortly after event completion.

Anyone can go to  FTC Event Web : Home (firstinspires.org) to see as all event results from all regions.

                             Worlds Allocations for FTCNJ

Good news!!  FIRST has just advised us that New Jersey’s FTC region will receive three advancements to the FTC World Championship.

State Championship – Sunday, March 6th

The FTC New Jersey State Championship will be held at Morris Knolls High School, one week after our final League Tournament.

League Tournament

League Tournaments take place in February; fully registered teams are automatically invited to their League/Conference Tournament. See attachment for locations.

As mentioned previously and announced last week, in the interest of COVID safety, League Tournaments will utilize Remote Judging again this season.

The diagram below shows the schedule. The timing aligns closely to that experienced at January’s Practice Judging events.

One difference is that the Remote Judging Process Review for teams (including document upload review) has been shifted one day to the left to give teams more time.

Note – While two Conferences undergo Remote Judging within the same period, the Judging Panels, Deliberations, and sets of Awards are totally separate!

cid:image003.png@01D8073A.F7973890

Late-Season Meets (8) – in January

As discussed above, January Meets are being rescheduled, where needed.

The January 8th Matches are being played at Blair Academy on 1/23; the January 9th Matches are being played at Pingry on 1/22.

Thanks in advance to our teams and volunteers for the patience/cooperation in adjusting their plans. We are all coping.

Apologies to those teams who were not able to attend the rescheduled Matches.

Mid-Season Meets (8) – in November / December have completed, as of December 19th

Early-Season/Holiday Meets have completed, as of November 28th

REMOTE SESSIONS/ TRAINING VIDEOS

Training Videos:

Freight Frenzy Officiating Training

Once again this year, FIRST has engaged our very own League Head Referee Julia Berry to create these training videos.

As you can see below, it is a three-part series that Julia narrates with excellent technical support by her husband, our FTA Rob Berry.

Video 1 - Field and Game Elements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3Kb5KhRvw&t=25s

Video 2 - Scoring Referee Training

https://youtu.be/bb4akI3s5Cw

Video 3 - Electric Scoring Tablets and Paper Scoring

https://youtu.be/wHb5LaWzjVQ

FTCNJ STEM Girls

STEM GIRLS: Next Get-Together (Mixer & Guest Speaker Sessions) ß January 27th

The next “Get-Together” will take place on the 27th. It will be begin with a “Mixer” at 7:30, followed by two new Guest Speakers.

Based upon early feedback, the STEM Girls are engaging female Computer Science professionals as the January Guest Speakers.

All Opted-In STEM Girls are being invited. Want to join? See the link below!

STEM GIRLS: Tech Talk  - “Active Intakes Explored” (January 31st)

The STEM Girls “Empowered Team” is hosting a Tech Talk called “Active Intakes Explored” on Monday, January 31st at 8pm ET.

Durometer, wheels, tubing, entrapment stars, best practices -– They’ll be covering all of that and more!
All FTC team members, mentors and coaches are welcome! … even the Guys!

Be sure to sign up for the Tech Talk with this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vcemtrDIqG9dHmaJWyKO7EQlvaB-SoKzB

For any girls interested, it’s not too late to join the STEM Girls community!
Sign up here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfca5j11yjtAW6OJmRzbbwKyrSOrt8a5tty9SojZkwYLJLvCw/viewform

FTCNJ News

Photo Permission Waiver

If you are a student, or adult, whose image may be captured, FTC needs your permission to show/post it.

Here is a link to the very simple “Video Permission Request”. It is a easy Google Form that simply captures the authorization. bit.ly/FTCNJrelease

Thanks to all of those who helped us with this last year. Coaches with engaged students, please encourage them to address this.

Note, persons under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian complete the form.

2022 COVID Protocol Update  ß This Note from Last Week. Updated Policy now attached.

It is great that 15 events have been successfully completed without any problem.

We do know, however, that the statewide/worldwide issue continues.

FTCNJ will take some time during our Holiday Break to revisit our Protocols and make improvements, where needed, based on what we’ve learned.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s continued support. Let’s continue to be very careful. Please continue to emphasize this to your students.

          FIRST NEWS ITEMS

INNOVATION CHALLENGE

Some have asked if FIRST is reprising this Program in the Freight Frenzy Season.

FTCNJ has checked and the official answer is NO. The Innovation Challenge this year is for FLL only, no for FRC and FTC.

REV Hub Update

In case you missed the team blast from first, REV has an update that should consider downloading. Check it out.

Here’s the link from FIRST’s blast: https://docs.revrobotics.com/rev-hardware-client/?mc_cid=818602731d&mc_eid=0eb5825318

Webinar for New York Life Grant Opportunity (U.S. FLL & FTC Only)

For FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST ® Tech Challenge partners based in the United States, New York Life has announced a grant opportunity ranging from $15K to $100K for out-of-school programs. There is a requirement that participants meet a minimum of 75% Free or Reduced-Price Lunch

Applications are due February 1, 2022 at 5 P.M. ET. Learn more about the grant application, view the RFP, and submit your application.

FIRST® Apps No Longer On Google Play

FIRST decided to remove all versions of the FIRST® Tech Challenge control system software from the Play Store. This decision is due to Google Play security requirement changes that are causing us to no longer distribute versions 6.1 and later of the FIRST Tech Challenge control system software through the Play Store. Teams must use the REV Robotics Hardware Client software to manage their software on the Robot Controller/Control Hub and Driver Station devices, including the new Driver HubFor more information, please read FIRST’s blog post.

Hopefully, this Communique has provided a lot of good information regarding the coming season. (New in blue! Hot in Yellow Highlight!)

Our next newsletter will be on January 25th.

If you have any questions, comments, or needs as you read this newsletter, simply write back and I’ll be happy to assist.

Making that comment here, rather than embedding it throughout the long newsletter above.

Thanks again for the interest in FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey and being part of our community

                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks much, Vince Frascella

                                                                                                                                                                             FIRST Tech Challenge New Jersey

image001.png
image003.png