View this page "Decoupling Experience From Tokens"

Bill Burdick

May 27, 2009, 6:27:30 PM5/27/09
to F# RPG
Added failure-based, experience token advancement

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/fsharprpg/web/decoupling-experience-from-tokens
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

r_b_bergstrom

Jan 29, 2010, 1:19:59 PM1/29/10
to F# RPG
Added an idea that's been working pretty good for my group.

EKB

Mar 7, 2010, 6:12:59 PM3/7/10
to F# RPG
I've been trying some experiments with this as of late.

What I've been finding works well from a story-arc perspective is to
have a separate track of character-based goals with ladder levels
attached to them at CG. As those resolve, they have a test against
that new level from the one they want to improve. Success means that
the trait/aspect/whachamacallit is at the new level.

EXAMPLE: I have Good kung-fu. I've just hunted down the last of the
bandits who desecrated my former training temple - a Great goal I'd
set as part of my background. I roll NdF and if I get at least +1, I'm
now Great at kung-fu. Fail, I'm still Good - I just don't get as much
reward for my accomplishment in the story.

Breakages: what if the goal level is set below the current level? I
say it's no longer eligible for use, but that sounds a bit Fiat to my
ears. What about using tokens to buff the roll? I'd say that's legit,
but again - sounds like an Italian automobile.