Character creation variant used in cyberpunk F#

r_b_bergstrom

Jan 29, 2010, 1:27:43 PM1/29/10
to F# RPG
Back in December I ran a cyberpunk-themed F# one-shot where the PCs
were part of a gang of misfits and criminals up to no good.

I used some alternate character creation rules. Instead of 3 catch
phrases and 3 other traits, all at +1, I had the PCs fill in the
following blanks:

+2 _______________ Useful piece of cyberware, cool gadget, or bio-
implant.
+2 _______________ Bizarre or useless cyberware, or just something
that defines the look of your character.
+1 _______________ What type of hoodlum, criminal, ganger or loser
are you?
+1 _______________ Other background element or character backstory
+1 _______________ Catch phrase
+1 _______________ Your choice, this can be anything.

Characters started a little buffer, due to the +2's, but that was
rather balanced by the narrower character definitions and the
requirement for one of the +2s being on a piece of "chrome" that was
only useful in narrow circumstances or maybe for certain social roles.

It worked great. Captured the setting well, and made cyberware feel
special on starting characters.