Opening this discussion group to the public?

Mathias Brandewinder

Jan 12, 2015, 9:36:14 PM1/12/15
to fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

First off, wish you all a happy new year 2015!

Then, I wanted to hear opinions on the following question: should we open this group to the public, or keep it private as it is now?

What is driving my question is the following: I think making the group open/public would give more visibility to the topic of F# and ML/data science, and potentially attract more people / contributors to the discussion and projects, which is probably a good thing.

On the other hand, this would be a bit of a shift from the original direction, which was more around discussing how to make things better and potentially coordinate a small group to build things. Another potential drawback is, this could turn out into more of a support forum, with people asking for help (which could also be good, in that it helps understand what people are actually trying to do / interested in). A final potential drawback is that a group with limited activity that is open to the public doesn't reflect well on how active the community is around that topic.

So... I thought I would put it out there. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this would be a good idea? I tend to lean towards opening things up, but didn't want to take such a decision before consulting the group!

Cheers,

Mathias

Ryan Riley

Jan 12, 2015, 10:50:27 PM1/12/15
to Mathias Brandewinder, fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN! O-PEN!

But then, I don't really have an opinion. :)

Ryan

Riccardo Terrell

Jan 13, 2015, 12:13:19 AM1/13/15
to Ryan Riley, Mathias Brandewinder, fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
What Ryan said !!

But we don't really have an opinion :)

Riccardo

Matthew Smith

Jan 13, 2015, 3:44:31 AM1/13/15
to Mathias Brandewinder, fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com

Happy new year Mathias et al.

I prefer open. If you don’t have the productivity with the closed discussion then see if open helps. If there is advantage down the line in setting up a closed discussion on matters arising then you could always spawn off a different closed discussion thread. If you end up inundated with support requests then that tells you something significant about the user community. Likewise if nothing changes. If nothing current is going to be majorly disrupted by the change then go forth and experiment.

Best wishes,
Matthew

Isaac Abraham

Jan 13, 2015, 6:51:32 AM1/13/15
to Riccardo Terrell, Ryan Riley, Mathias Brandewinder, fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com

I always thought it was open! So yes, I’m of the opinion that it should be opened up – there are things this year that will happen that will open F# up to data science even more than, including the natural growth of the platform and language (particular x-platform), mbrace plus hopefully we’ll get a wrapper around things like Accord .NET, so lots of opportunities for growth within the data science space on F#, and opening up this list would help in that respect I think.

nicolas.rolland

Jan 19, 2015, 11:57:25 AM1/19/15
to fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
I have honestly never understood why on earth all those groups were private in the first place....

I guess it is never too late

Mathias Brandewinder

Jan 19, 2015, 10:41:52 PM1/19/15
to fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
There were some reasons for that - one of them to see if people would even want to use a Google Group in the first place :)
At any rate, it seems like so far the consensus is clearly towards opening things up. So if I don't hear someone making a case that the group should stay closed by this Friday, I'll release the Kraken and open things up!
Cheers,

Mathias

Mathias Brandewinder

Jan 24, 2015, 2:08:42 PM1/24/15
to fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
OK, so as far as I can tell, the group should now be visible and open to all :)

Thomas JASKULA

Feb 2, 2015, 5:44:44 PM2/2/15
to fsharp-da...@googlegroups.com
You secretive little thing :) Didn't know it existed.

Anyway I'm happy that is open for everybody now.  Cheers :)

649...@aacps.org

Sep 28, 2017, 2:48:27 PM9/28/17
to fsharp-data-science
hey everyone