White bellied sea eagle breeding

Steven Sass

Feb 8, 2024, 8:15:36 PMFeb 8
to fs...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What would be a reasonable statement in terms of when White-bellied sea eagles start breeding locally? I know that they are quite early in northern Australia, but is July more realistic in our part of the world? Rohan would surely have some thoughts on this?

Many comments much appreciated.

Cheers

Rohan Bilney

Feb 8, 2024, 9:11:17 PMFeb 8
to fs...@googlegroups.com
Depends on what “breeding” is intended to mean. Earliest laying I’ve seen locally is mid June, but all the nest building, pair bonding and defending can commence months earlier and highly variable. Seems there is generally a ~3 month variation between pairs for laying too. Fledging is between mid Oct to mid Jan.
Hope that helps.
Cheers