Bar-shouldered Dove in Tura Flora Reserve

sue romane

Nov 21, 2023, 4:28:06 AM11/21/23
to fs...@googlegroups.com

Against a background of Peaceful Dove calls in the Flora Reserve at Tura, I heard a Bar-shouldered Dove on the 17th October, but was unable to catch a glimpse of it.  Its calls of "hook, coo! hook, coo!" (identified thanks to Xeno- canto and 'translated' thanks to Graham Pizzey's Field Guide) were unmistakable.

A fortnight and a couple of visits later,  it was seen foraging as it crossed a path in the north-east corner of the reserve.  An amazing copper-coloured nape, scalloped with black and gleaming in the sun, was its distinctive feature I thought.   Looking up further info on this bird which is seen rarely in the Bega Valley, The Australian Bird Guide informed me that it was named for the "distinctive pale pink shoulder bars on each side of the breast".   One of the mysteries of nomenclature.

Yesterday the Peaceful Doves were calling from a property across the road from their usual spot in the reserve.
Eventually I heard the BS Dove give a few calls, so  I presume it's going to hang out with its mates here for the summer.