Dusky Woodswallows

David Adams

Nov 29, 2023, 2:58:47 PM11/29/23
to fscb
Hope everyone is enjoying the rain!

Our kitchen window looks over a bit of old paddock, with a chicken-wire and start-picket fence between us. I regularly see all sorts of birds perching on the wire to drop down for a feed. Like Willie Wagtail, Jacky Winter, Kookaburra, and Butcherbirds. Yesterday, in the pouring rain, something else seemed to be there. Two Dusky Woodswallows were there hunting. We've had them in the neighborhood, but never close to the house.

I've been meaning to post for ages about just how wonderful it is to hear all of the bird call this time of year. We've heard the Gossly-blacks a few times since our big fire, a couple of Channel-bills flying by early in the morning, a pair of Butcherbirds with a youngster has been hanging around, the Koels are back, heard a Dollarbird a few days back, Needle-tails flying past, White-headed pigeons, Wonga Pigeons, Bronzewings (of one sort or another), Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Red-browed finches. It's really something special to live surrounded by so many beautiful, fascinating birds and their amazing calls.