Stevia sweetner...aproved in Australia...lots of products to be released with it...yippeee

1 view

Liz

Nov 20, 2008, 10:32:08 PM11/20/08
to Children's Fructose, Sucrose or Lactose Malabsorption Group
I have been trying to do some research into other sweeteners
especially Stevia. I came across this link and thought it was
interesting. I think if Pepsi and Coca Cola are fighting over it ...so
lot's of research has gone into it.
Australia have approved it finally
Let's hope the FDA approve it very soon.

Here is the link about safety

http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/10/08/zero-calorie-sweetener-gets-approval-in-australia.html

Steph

Nov 20, 2008, 11:26:33 PM11/20/08
to Children's Fructose, Sucrose or Lactose Malabsorption Group
Does that mean that right now you can't even get Stevia in a health
food store? In Canada and the US they will not acknowledge it as an
alternative sweetener, but it is allowed to be sold as a dietary
supplement.

If and when it does come to Australia you will have to watch the
various types out there. Some of them put fillers in so that you can
use equal amounts of stevia to what you would use to sugar, keep an
eye on what these fillers are (e.g. inulin). Also the more refined
the product the less licorice like after taste it should have. I use
stevia in recipes and when making the kids juice right now but my
daughter does say she prefers aspartame over stevia in her tea. I
have recently found a concentrated pure stevia version and it's
amazing the strength of the stuff - 1/2 tsp of it is equal to 1 cup of
sugar. I like it because it's just one small bottle instead of
another big container ... and as you all know we have enough different
flours and foods in our houses already ... less space is always good.

Hope it gets approved soon. If you find any research that shows pros
and cons to stevia I would love to read it as I find it very hard to
get any clear information on it. We use it in moderation, in some
foods and recipes, aspartame in some and regular sugar or brown sugar
in others ... sort of a balance of what's out there.

Steph
> http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/10/08/zero-calorie-sweetener-gets-...

Liz

Nov 24, 2008, 6:05:28 AM11/24/08
to Children's Fructose, Sucrose or Lactose Malabsorption Group
Funny I was half way through writing a response to you on this before
the weekend and my computer decided to freeze. So take 2.

We can buy Stevia here in health shops, but now that the govt have
approved it, it will be available under another commercial name and
will allowed to be included in all types of food. We have a huge
obesity problem in Australia, one nutritionist commented with the
government approving Stevia it will help open up a whole lot of
healthy options for diabetics and people wanting to look after their
weight.

I have found some links for you regarding the safety aspects and one
blog about Stevia.

I also contacted the australian food news who publishes new
information on food. They have given me the professors email address
who did the research on it here in Australia and lobbied the
government to get it approved. So I will email him and get more info
hopefully. If he sends me any info I'll email you as well.

HERE ARE THE LINKS:

SOME INFO ON STEVIA SAFETY -APPROVAL IN AUSTRALIA
http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/10/08/zero-calorie-sweetener-gets-approval-in-australia.html

Stevia: the new battleground for Coke and Pepsi
http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/08/04/pepsi-launch-beverage-with-natural-sweetener-and-zero-calories.html

EVERYTHING ABOUT STEVIA - BLOG
http://everythingaboutstevia.blogspot.com/

Steph, thanks for the warnings about the fillers, I will now watch out
for those. Inulin is so nasty and they are putting it in so many
products. I agree with you I think it's good to mix the sweeteners up
a bit and try alternatives so we are not reliant on just one for our
children. I don't like using the artificial sweeteners but sometimes
there is not much alternative. I used glucose syrup when I made ice
cream the other day and it turned out fine.
I also love the fact it comes in tiny little bottles and you don't
have to use much...let's hope that they can refine the flavours when
it's commercially released in food products.
> >http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2008/10/08/zero-calorie-sweetener-gets-...- Hide quoted text -

Liz Clifford

Nov 24, 2008, 6:09:40 AM11/24/08
to fructose_s...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link to the Sweetener Pepsi (division are releasing made with
Stevia)

http://www.purevia.com/