Flow - FRP for Javascript

bemson

Mar 25, 2011, 2:28:37 PM3/25/11
to Functional Relational Programming
Hi all,

I discovered OOTTP while writing documentation for my latest project,
Flow, at https://github.com/bemson/Flow (I was looking for some
historical context to describe my work.)

I _believe_ Flow satisfies some aspects of FRP, in that it minimizes
"mutable state, moving any mutable state that remains into relations,
and specifying the behaviour (i.e. manipulation of relational data) in
a declarative/logical/purely-functional language."( Lambda the
Ultimate | http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1446 )

I'd appreciate your feedback and thoughts on my work, especially it's
relationship to FRP - if any.

- best,

bemson

Ben Moseley

Mar 26, 2011, 4:37:58 AM3/26/11
to frp-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bemsom,

Flow looks like it has some interesting ideas.

I couldn't (from a quick look at the wiki) see a high-level overview of the language - I think that would be helpful for people trying to understand Flow.

From a glance at the API docs it looks as though a Flow program is based around a static DAG of stateful nodes (which are JS objects). The FRP model is also based upon a static DAG - but there all the nodes are relations (it looks as though that's not a restriction enforced by Flow) and only the root nodes are directly mutable.

FRP doesn't have anything akin to the "lock" / "unlock" calls on Flows.

One of the ideas behind FRP is that it tries to separate out the control aspects from the logical ones. (Hence in principle you could run the same logical program in different ways by using different control specifications for it).

Since you're using Javascript, maybe you're aware of the Flapjax project? (http://www.flapjax-lang.org/) - it's based on "the other FRP" - (Functional Reactive Programming as opposed to Functional Relational Programming) - and hence doesn't actively advocate the use of relations, but it might be of interest to you?

Cheers,

--Ben