displaying a new NSWindow

Kirk

Oct 16, 2008, 5:10:17 PM10/16/08
to frontpython-discuss.
I have a mostly working frappliance, with one major gotcha: I need to
display an NSView and can't get my document to appear in front of
FrontRow. I've tried altering the window level and ordering of both my
own window, and the existing FR window without any luck. I've looked
at pyetv, and it seems like in that case the transition is a side
effect of telling EyeTV to go full screen. If anyone has advice, it
would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk

Jon Christopher

Nov 2, 2008, 3:12:19 AM11/2/08
to frontpyth...@googlegroups.com
There's no magic in EyeTV going to full-screen.

I don't really understand how Front Row violates the normal window
stacking order, etc, but it seems that it's wired deeply enough in the
OS that Front Row is always on top. The only thing
I've found which works is to hide front row.

The relevant code is from frontpython's Utilities.py:

# Start hiding the display
frController = BRAppManager.sharedApplication().delegate()
# We use continue, since it seems to skip the -slow- fade out.
# It also doesn't seem to kill the controller stack!
self.fireMethod( frController, "_continueDestroyScene:", None )

That causes Front Row to hide itself, showing your desktop (and
presumably the new NSWindow you want to show).