Releasing UserLand websites databases

Dave Winer

Sep 13, 2018, 10:36:18 PM9/13/18
to frontier-user
I usually don't write about projects until they're close to completion, but this is an unusual one.

I've got copies of the object databases for the userland.com websites. Jake took a snapshot about ten years ago, and has been running them on a server of his. Examples -- frontier.userland.com. docserver.userland.com

I've got copies of the databases here.

They are all Manila sites.

I want to begin by releasing the actual root files.

Before doing that, I'm going through them, by script of course, looking for objects named "password".

It seems they only exists in #membershipGroup tables. I will delete those before releasing them. Seems that stuff was meant to be private, so it will not be included.

This is part of the writing-for-the-record work I'm doing. I want to start off by being sure there's at least one good release of all this stuff, so people have a chance to download it, and perhaps maintain other archives.

There's really a lot of good stuff in these databases. :-)

Anyway, I'll announce them here as they are released.

Dave

Dave Winer

Sep 14, 2018, 12:55:57 PM9/14/18
to frontier-user
Here's the first database.

I haven't verified this, but from the name I'd guess it was the source of my.userland.com

Next thing I'm going to write a script to export all the discussion group messages as HTML.

Dave

Frank McPherson

Sep 14, 2018, 2:19:56 PM9/14/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Is there any relationship between this and EditThisPage.com?

Dave Winer

Sep 14, 2018, 2:22:11 PM9/14/18
to frontier-user
I don't know what's in all these databases. We'll see as they come out. It could be that the editthispage.com sites are in there. This is a very dusty archive. ;-)

Dave Winer

Sep 18, 2018, 5:38:11 PM9/18/18
to frontier-user
Here's the download page for the databases.

I've removed the passwords from the files where I was able to find them.

There's an awful lot of content here, including all the comments posted to Radio UserLand websites.

And I'm sure a lot more. ;-)

Dave

Dave Winer

Sep 26, 2018, 10:43:33 AM9/26/18
to frontier-user
There's a note on this project on Scripting News today.

Dave