Help Getting Started

Kevin Jaques

Apr 27, 2018, 9:15:20 PM4/27/18
to frontier-user
I looked at Frontier in the 90's and it looked very cool. Now I hear that OPML Editor is Frontier, reborn, runnable on a modern Mac for free. But how do I get started? Is there documentation? Tutorials?

Oliver Wrede

Apr 28, 2018, 6:05:13 PM4/28/18
to frontier-user
Am Samstag, 28. April 2018 03:15:20 UTC+2 schrieb Kevin Jaques:

I looked at Frontier in the 90's and it looked very cool. Now I hear that OPML Editor is Frontier, reborn, runnable on a modern Mac for free. But how do I get started? Is there documentation? Tutorials?

Well, Dave Winer said so, that OPML Editor is Frontier.

I'd say it WAS Frontier.

It is basically the same base program with new name and Icon — tweaked re-compiled to run on recent MacOS X.

But Frontier was not just the applicatin. The main functionality came inside the databases (".root" files). The main database "frontier.root" is renamed to "opml.root" and has been changed. Many things that came with Frontier are missing or there is still stuff in the "opml.root" that appear to be relicts of the original "Frontier.root" but do not have any function in OPML Editor (e.g. there is still the old Userland license agreement for Frontier inside). There are also Guest Databases missing (like mainResponder.root) that came with Frontier. The concept of what the app is used for basically has evolved.

I haven't seen updated documentation. There is only the old Frontier stuff. And it was not so easy for newbies to get into even when the online documentation was current.

Dave Winer

Apr 28, 2018, 6:38:28 PM4/28/18
to frontier-user
Oliver, that's not true. It's Frontier.root plus the stuff I developed over 14 years since the fork.

mainResponder.root is not present because I took the contents of the root and included it in system.builtins.

This is not helpful.

Dave

Anton Zuiker

Apr 28, 2018, 6:56:12 PM4/28/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com

---
Anton Zuiker
919.923.9491

Blogging again at zuiker.com

Dave Winer

Apr 28, 2018, 7:04:18 PM4/28/18
to frontier-user
Even better --

Dave

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 6:56 PM Anton Zuiker <zui...@gmail.com> wrote:

---
Anton Zuiker
919.923.9491

Ted Howard

Apr 29, 2018, 12:24:39 AM4/29/18
to frontier-user

If you're interested in creating tools, this is a good resource: http://andysylvester.com/2009/08/12/developing-opml-editor-tools/

Ted

Jörg Kantel

Apr 29, 2018, 5:07:45 AM4/29/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
I missed the Static Sites Tool. In 2009 it was available for the OPML Editor but know its gone. Why?

J"org Kantel (aka Der Schockwellenreiter)
J"org Kantel <jo...@kantel.de>
Der Schockwellenreiter <http://blog.schockwellenreiter.de/>
Cognitiones Publicae <http://cognitiones.kantel-chaos-team.de/>
Buergerstr. 66, 12347 Berlin (Neukoelln)
-- Verschtehen Sie, isch 'abe garrr kein Wooerd! --
staticsites.png

Dave Winer

Apr 29, 2018, 5:47:09 AM4/29/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
It don’t know the history here. It looks like you have the tool. If this is a request for help, it would be useful to know what you did, what you expected to happen, what actually happened.

Keep in mind how much time has passed, and the fact that anyone working here is doing it for free.

Thanks,

Dave
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to frontier-user+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

J"org Kantel <jo...@kantel.de>
Der Schockwellenreiter <http://blog.schockwellenreiter.de/>
Cognitiones Publicae <http://cognitiones.kantel-chaos-team.de/>
Buergerstr. 66, 12347 Berlin (Neukoelln)
-- Verschtehen Sie, isch 'abe garrr kein Wooerd! --

Typed on an iPad with fat fingers.

Jörg Kantel

Apr 29, 2018, 6:19:08 AM4/29/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I lost the tool due to a computer crash. But I will try to find it by looking through my backups. If I can find it, I will try if it is running with the actual OPML Editor and if there is no licence problem I will make it available for public.

I'd run my blog for years with this tool and in my opinion it is still useful for making a static website from outlines with little effort.

pls. excuse my bad (d)english)
J"org

J"org Kantel <jo...@kantel.de>
Der Schockwellenreiter <http://blog.schockwellenreiter.de/>
Cognitiones Publicae <http://cognitiones.kantel-chaos-team.de/>
Buergerstr. 66, 12347 Berlin (Neukoelln)
-- Verschtehen Sie, isch 'abe garrr kein Wooerd! --

Typed on an iPad with fat fingers.

Dave Winer

Apr 29, 2018, 12:49:24 PM4/29/18
to frontier-user
Jorg, I've attached a copy of staticSites.root.

I had a lot of copies of it on my disk in various backups. This one came from my Inactive Tools folder. It looks like it went through a pretty solid release in 2010. Hope this helps

Dave

staticSites.root

Jörg Kantel

Apr 29, 2018, 2:54:11 PM4/29/18
to fronti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Many thanks. If it works, I will make some experiments with it. Results I will publish in my blog.

Let's reclaim the web

Jörg

Oliver Wrede

Apr 30, 2018, 6:10:26 AM4/30/18

If you want to create own tools and learn about UserTalk a reference comes in handy as well: http://docserver.userland.com/ — also Andy Sylvesters tutorial is very good http://andysylvester.com/2009/08/12/developing-opml-editor-tools-part-1/