I've come across a few points after trying to get River3 working more easily. I got confused at the point after installing River3 and putting my files into Dropbox. There doesn't seem to be any clear explanation of what to do after then so that you can actually view your river.
- The html files don't work unless they are viewed via a webserver
- Which most easily is the Dropbox Public folder - so suggesting that people use the Public dropbox folder in the instructions would be useful
- Dave seems to assume that if people want to view the river it will be done via S3, but lots of people don't have this
- this could in theory be solved by having the protocol-less links e.g. //ajax.microsoft.com/ajax/jquery/jquery-1.5.min.js which will then default to using http / https depending on the site you're viewing it on
- The final hurdle is that you have to view the https://static.newsriver.org to accept the invalid certificate
Perhaps this is all old hat now that River4 is out, but I do have this all working nicely at this page: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7765571/River3/html/nytRiver-https.html.