Fwd: Federal judge orders Biden to stop forced expulsions of families at the border

Molly Molloy

Sep 17, 2021, 9:59:26 AM9/17/21
to FRONTERA LIST

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Hannah Hollandbyrd | Hope Border Institute <hholla...@hopeborder.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 4:43 PM
Subject: Federal judge orders Biden to stop forced expulsions of families at the border
thousands of migrants have been expelled into Mexico under the pretense of public health...
View this email in your browser

UPDATE: COURT RULES AGAINST TITLE 42 EXPULSION POLICY FOR FAMILIES

Title 42 is a public health law that has been used to expel thousands of migrants into Mexico under the pretense of public health. Today, a US district court judge issued an important ruling finding that the Title 42 policy does not entitle the government to expel migrant families with minor children and deny them the opportunity to access asylum. The ruling won’t take effect for 14 days.

If the Biden administration appeals the decision, we may not see on-the-ground change immediately. The status of Remain in Mexico (ordered reinstated by the Supreme Court) and how it would interact with an end to Title 42 is unclear.

What we’ve known from the beginning is that Title 42 was put in place illegally to block migrants from accessing their right to seek asylum. It’s never been about public health. Our border communities have the resources and the heart to welcome people with dignity, but the Biden administration needs to take essential steps to restore asylum at the border, both by ending Title 42 altogether and taking effective steps to end Remain in Mexico.

Together, we can welcome with dignity. Support HOPE in advocating for a more compassionate and humane treatment of migrants at our border today.

This email was sent to molly...@gmail.com
Hope Border Institute · 499 St. Matthews St. · El Paso, Texas 79907 · USA