Fwd: Opinion Today: What we don’t talk about when we talk about the border

Molly Molloy

Oct 20, 2022, 4:34:41 PM10/20/22
to FRONTERA LIST

Text of the article is pasted below...  The link here should go to the NYTimes for access to the photographs, etc...

From: The New York Times <nytd...@nytimes.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 20, 2022, 5:01 AM
Subject: Opinion Today: What we don’t talk about when we talk about the border

Not everything is a political gesture.
Author Headshot

By Nick Fox

Editor at Large, Opinion

When Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas sent busloads of migrants to New York City and Washington, D.C., it was widely scorned as a political stunt, a simple Republican rebuke of Democratic hypocrisy.

But Megan K. Stack noticed that without grandstanding and little attention, “the Democratic-leaning, immigrant-rich, majority-Latino city of El Paso” had been sending buses full of migrants to New York, Chicago and Miami “in waves that have dwarfed the trickle of buses dispatched by the governor.”

The city had tried to take care of the thousands of Venezuelan migrants who had been streaming over the Rio Grande in a desperate bid for asylum while a quirk of international relations let them enter the United States.

“You can disagree politically and say they don’t have the right to be here,” Peter Svarzbein, an El Paso City Council member, told Stack. “But we see them here, and we feel an obligation to do something.”

But the city was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. Soon after welcoming them, El Paso officials and aid groups helped them move on.

Stack worked along the border early in her career as a reporter, first at The El Paso Times and later as the lone correspondent in the now-defunct Rio Grande Valley bureau of The Associated Press. She came away with a deep affection for El Paso and its people. Reading about the historic influx of asylum seekers and the resulting busing program, she wanted to see for herself what the city was going through and how the border had — and had not — changed.

In a guest essay this week, Stack describes how she met a family of Venezuelans as they climbed the banks of the river, followed them to a Border Patrol control center and saw how they and their fellow asylum seekers were shuffled from detention to care centers and onto buses north. She found a city that was doing its best, but that wasn’t enough.

“If people don’t have places to go, what are we supposed to do?” asked Kari Lenander, executive director of Border Servant Corps. “I think everyone is circling that question.” The buses, she said, aren’t so political as much as “what must be done.”

Read the full essay here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/20/opinion/el-paso-migrant-buses-republicans.html

El Paso Shows Migrant Buses Aren’t Just for Republican Politicians

A barrier along the Rio Grande near the Paso Del Norte bridge into El Paso. Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times

By Megan K. Stack

Ms. Stack is a contributing Opinion writer.

  • Oct. 20, 2022

EL PASO — The Rio Grande ran thin through downtown, slimy and clay-colored from recent rains, coursing along concrete banks and through tangles of wildflowers, a liquid boundary marking the end — or, if you like, the beginning — of the United States. The river was easy to wade across, even for 9-year-old Margelis Polo Negrette, who crossed over from Mexico with her parents, clambered up a sandy rise and headed straight for the uniformed Border Patrol agents.

The mother and daughter had worn skirts and tied their hair back for their arrival. Placid as churchgoers, the family of three advanced with steady steps into the United States. Tejano accordions drifted over the water from somewhere, and the early October sky was bruised with gathering rain. The immigration was as simple and incongruous as a dream.

The family was Venezuelan, and so they would be allowed to stay. There wasn’t anywhere else for them to go: Mexico had banned Venezuelans from returning and, with U.S.-Venezuelan relations gone cold, there was no simple way to deport them. The parents were schoolteachers; they had fled Venezuela, they said, after a politically active family member was jailed and tortured. Agents didn’t ask them about any of that, though. Not yet. They were Venezuelan; that was enough.

ImageMargelis Polo Negrette, 9, getting a hand from a Customs and Border Protection officer after she and her parents, Marielith Negrette and Eduardo Polo Diaz, crossed the Rio Grande into El Paso in early October, a few days before a policy change that would have barred them from the country.
Margelis Polo Negrette, 9, getting a hand from a Customs and Border Protection officer after she and her parents, Marielith Negrette and Eduardo Polo Diaz, crossed the Rio Grande into El Paso in early October, a few days before a policy change that would have barred them from the country.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
Margelis Polo Negrette, 9, getting a hand from a Customs and Border Protection officer after she and her parents, Marielith Negrette and Eduardo Polo Diaz, crossed the Rio Grande into El Paso in early October, a few days before a policy change that would have barred them from the country.

The mother, Marielith Negrette, told me it was her birthday. She was now 29. She smiled at the auspiciousness of this timing: New year, new land. Yes, it had been hard for the child to endure the harsh journey. “But she did well,” said her husband, Eduardo Polo Diaz, pulling his daughter close. “Really, you wouldn’t believe it.”

Everything had to happen fast. More people, more families, were already climbing up behind, and more behind them, and on and on in a bone-weary human train stretching all 3,000 miles to Venezuela. Another family emerged from the riverbank. Next, three men and a woman. The people kept coming.

Hopeful and exhausted, they were all headed for a processing center beneath an overpass in downtown El Paso. There, amid trailers, tarps, generators and cheap, portable furniture, the Border Patrol received the crush of asylum seekers pouring into the city.

Image
A federal processing center for asylum seekers that was set up recently under an El Paso overpass to deal with the flood of migrants, mostly from Cuba and Venezuela, turning themselves in to border officers.
A federal processing center for asylum seekers that was set up recently under an El Paso overpass to deal with the flood of migrants, mostly from Cuba and Venezuela, turning themselves in to border officers.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
A federal processing center for asylum seekers that was set up recently under an El Paso overpass to deal with the flood of migrants, mostly from Cuba and Venezuela, turning themselves in to border officers.

Cargo trucks groaned above like distant thunder. A length of wall built during the Obama administration stood disconnected from the section of wall built during the Trump administration, so disjointed and insufficient it was hard to discern how they could be part of a coherent project. Across the river lay Mexico, which never did pay for that wall, with its warehouses and convenience stores, so close you almost feel you could land a flying leap over the divide.

Eduardo Polo accepted the clear plastic evidence bag from agents who instructed him to seal the family’s documents, money and phones inside. Even shoelaces had to be yanked out, for the family was now in federal custody; they would be held incommunicado for a few days. The girl’s pink plastic bracelet was dropped into a dumpster.

Off they went to show their identity documents; to have their faces and eyes scanned; to press their fingerprints onto a sensor. Assuming no criminal background or warrants, they’d be locked up for a few days in an overcrowded facility for more checks. Then they would almost certainly be set free in El Paso. And, from there, they would probably end up on a chartered bus headed out of town.

They didn’t know it yet, but they’d come just in time.

Image
A migrant waiting to have his eyes scanned for identification purposes at the federal outdoor processing center.
A migrant waiting to have his eyes scanned for identification purposes at the federal outdoor processing center.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
A migrant waiting to have his eyes scanned for identification purposes at the federal outdoor processing center.

Since last spring, when Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas dispatched the first group of migrants to the District of Columbia as a theatrical rebuke to the Biden administration, migrant buses have become a potent and toxic symbol of our political dysfunction. Vivid proof, depending upon whom you ask, of Republican ruthlessness or Democratic hypocrisy.

But quietly — without fanfare or grandstanding, political punchline or taunt — the Democratic-leaning, immigrant-rich, majority-Latino city of El Paso has been sending daily fleets of buses to New York, Chicago and, at times, Miami, transferring asylum seekers over state lines in waves that have dwarfed the trickle of buses dispatched by the governor. (At this writing, El Paso has sent more than 280 buses; Mr. Abbott more than 65.)

El Paso officials I spoke with do not want to be confused or even associated with Mr. Abbott’s busing antics, which are broadly regarded here as dehumanizing. The El Paso buses, they say, are a pragmatic, even compassionate, initiative from a city that simply doesn’t have the manpower or money to otherwise cope with the arrival en masse of asylum seekers. El Paso is one of the poorest major cities in the United States, officials point out, and they are doing the best they can.

From one bus to another: a white Department of Homeland Security bus, foreground, that just dropped off a load of asylum seekers at El Paso’s migrant center, and buses rented by the city to carry migrants to destinations elsewhere.
From one bus to another: a white Department of Homeland Security bus, foreground, that just dropped off a load of asylum seekers at El Paso’s migrant center, and buses rented by the city to carry migrants to destinations elsewhere.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
From one bus to another: a white Department of Homeland Security bus, foreground, that just dropped off a load of asylum seekers at El Paso’s migrant center, and buses rented by the city to carry migrants to destinations elsewhere.

“Letting people get released out in the streets is not acceptable, not as an elected official and not as a fellow human being,” said Peter Svarzbein, an El Paso City Council member. “You can disagree politically and say they don’t have the right to be here, but we see them here, and we feel an obligation to do something.”

This isn’t even the first time migrants have been bused out of El Paso, although previous charters were arranged by local nonprofits. At various times during the Trump years, buses from El Paso carried groups of asylum seekers to Denver, Albuquerque and Dallas. Those buses were neither intended nor advertised as a political statement, though, so the rest of the country took little notice.

But as bus after bus crossed the country recently, outrage began to erupt on the other end of the journey. Just hours after 9-year-old Margelis Polo Negrette and her parents crossed the river, New York City declared a state of emergency, citing logistical problems created by the influx of asylum seekers. Mayor Eric Adams singled out El Paso, imploring it to stop sending buses.

His request was met here with a collective shrug. It’s fruitless to lecture El Paso about the hardship of receiving buses: The Department of Homeland Security has been busing hundreds upon hundreds of people into the care of the city government every day. And while this detail often gets lost in the bitter bickering over immigration — Governor Abbott persists in referring to the passengers as “illegal immigrants” — the people in question are in the United States legally as they wait for their day in immigration court.

Image
Migrants awaiting buses headed to Chicago, Miami and New York City at El Paso’s migrant center.
Migrants awaiting buses headed to Chicago, Miami and New York City at El Paso’s migrant center.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
Migrants awaiting buses headed to Chicago, Miami and New York City at El Paso’s migrant center.

“What places like Washington and New York are frustrated about, we’re also frustrated about,” Mr. Svarzbein said. “We’re missing a larger strategic response.”

Somewhere in this chain of disconnects — in the fact that El Paso couldn’t find common cause with either New York or the governor in Austin, and that everyone blamed the federal government — lies a longstanding, albeit unpopular, truth of border policy: With the exception of Donald Trump’s most abhorrent anti-immigrant tactics (family separation, the Muslim ban, “remain in Mexico”), it would be hard to figure out which party was in power by studying the border. Political factions tell different stories about what they’re doing, but the reality along the southern frontier doesn’t change as much as you might imagine.

The ranks of the Border Patrol more than doubled under Bill Clinton. Barack Obama built the “cages” that held children separated from their parents.

And this fall’s crush of crossings led the Biden administration to seize, just last week, upon Mr. Trump’s heavily criticized pandemic expulsion order, known as Title 42, to keep Venezuelans out. The Polo-Negrette family, as it turned out, had waded across the Rio Grande on one of the last days it was still possible. The same Border Patrol agents who took the girl and her parents into custody and set them on the path to immigration court would, a few days later, start expelling their desperate compatriots back into Mexico. By that time the family had made it to New York.

Image
El Paso is paying for buses to carry migrants north and is feeling the strain of the cost.
El Paso is paying for buses to carry migrants north and is feeling the strain of the cost.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
El Paso is paying for buses to carry migrants north and is feeling the strain of the cost.

And so how do we understand the buses? True, Governor Abbott launched human beings northward like undesirable hot potatoes while El Paso organized and funded trips to the asylum seekers’ preferred destinations. But the underlying message was the same: States and municipalities shouldn’t have to bear the burden of these influxes, and they won’t.

“I really don’t see it any different, to be honest,” said Victor Manjarrez, a former Border Patrol chief who is now the associate director of the Center for Law and Human Behavior at the University of Texas, El Paso. “It’s like saying ‘Thank you’ really nice, or ‘Thank you’ in a terse way. At the end of the day, it’s the same thing.”

Dr. Manjarrez is the first generation of his family born in the United States. Early in his career, he told me, he pulled his Border Patrol vehicle into his parents’ driveway in Tucson and climbed out, only to hear his father tell the people inside, ¡Escóndanse! ¡Viene La Migra!” (Hide! It’s Immigration!)

Lawmakers used to visit the border in bipartisan delegations, Dr. Manjarrez said, and debate amiably among themselves as they toured the crossings and outposts. Now, he said, they come on party-segregated trips and, instead of investigating and brainstorming, they are mostly seeking fodder for arguments they’ve staked out in advance.

“They’re looking for what they’re looking for,” he said. “Getting lost in the verbiage instead of focusing on the problem.”

Image
Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times

I’ve been thinking about this border for decades now, ever since I got my start in journalism at The El Paso Times in the late 1990s. I spent years crisscrossing the Rio Grande from here to the Gulf of Mexico, documenting how this boundary worked its way through communities and lives.

I’ve come to suspect, despite the rancor of our political debates, that the southern border functions more or less the way the United States wants it to function — not that any one of us approves of it wholly, but that it reflects our aggregated desires and the understanding we have of our nation.

The border, I think, is imperfect by design: Porous enough to ensure that some people will inevitably manage to get through, delivering a steady supply of cheap and under-the-table labor. Closed enough to prevent a glut of newcomers. Lenient at times because we are a land of immigrants, but punctuated with attention-grabbing crackdowns to dissuade too many people from trying their luck.

Venezuela has collapsed into authoritarian rule and economic stagnation, a descent that has only been worsened by U.S. sanctions. Children are picking their way past their dead and dying countrymen on their way through the Darién Gap, entire families hitting the road, lured in part by reports that they wouldn’t be turned back.

Image
A view from the federal processing center of a barbed-wire barrier along the Rio Grande.
A view from the federal processing center of a barbed-wire barrier along the Rio Grande.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
A view from the federal processing center of a barbed-wire barrier along the Rio Grande.

The spectacle of the harrowing journey carries an uneasy edge of Darwinism: Not everyone would survive, and not everyone would reach the border before the laws shifted yet again. Only the strong and the lucky would make it onto U.S. soil. The medical director of a migrant shelter in nearby Las Cruces, N.M., told me, through tears, that as many as 80 percent of the Venezuelan women and girls of childbearing age have been raped or sexually abused on the way here.

What I heard in El Paso, most of all, was a plea for national leadership. Many people I interviewed suggested that Venezuelan asylum seekers could be lodged at neighboring Fort Bliss — thousands of Afghans lived there a year ago, they point out, and the base has been used to house unaccompanied migrant children. Mr. Svarzbein recalled the efforts made to resettle Cuban refugees. The city was looking for something like that: a national solution that was generous to the newcomers, but fair to El Paso.

Instead, the government will buy time and quiet some of the criticism. Under Mr. Biden’s new plan, thousands of Venezuelan refugees will be eligible to come to the United States — if they apply overseas, convince somebody to sponsor them financially for two years and travel by airplane. Meanwhile, untold numbers of desperate people who rushed north overland when the United States cracked the door will be expelled using an ethically dubious legal mechanism. The result: A humanitarian crisis has been pushed back into Mexican border communities like Ciudad Juárez, where asylum seekers will suffer, but U.S. voters can more easily ignore them.

The new restriction on Venezuelans should ease the pressure on El Paso, but it’s difficult to predict how it will play out. While the largest proportion of migrants reaching the city in recent weeks have been Venezuelan, asylum seekers from elsewhere in Latin America have also been crossing at high rates. Nor is it clear how many Venezuelans can be expelled to Mexico — the Mexican government has indicated it may accept only 24,000 Venezuelans, which would fall short of addressing the surge of asylum seekers. For now, multiple buses are leaving El Paso every day.

Still, none of the overarching problems will be touched: this year’s record-breaking flows of migration at the southern border; desperately backlogged immigration courts; broken U.S. commitments to asylum seekers.

This suggests a more ambiguous interpretation of the buses: What if the stunt is bad, but the message is righteous?

Image
Migrants crossing the river in the shadow of the Paso Del Norte international bridge.
Migrants crossing the river in the shadow of the Paso Del Norte international bridge.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
Migrants crossing the river in the shadow of the Paso Del Norte international bridge.

The border is not an easy place to think about the border. Daily human rhythms tend to obscure the grand questions, or render them moot: Sovereignty, nationalism, human rights, asylum. It’s like stepping so close to a painting that you can no longer see what the frame depicts, only the granular detail that’s right in front of your eye.

This is especially true in El Paso, a bustling, bilingual city isolated from the rest of Texas by long, monotonous stretches of desert but pressed nose to nose with its closest neighbor, the adrenalized manufacturing hub of Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.

El Pasoans, many of whom are either immigrants or the children of immigrants, flow casually back and forth between nations, busy with family or errands or friends on the opposite riverbank. The international frontier boils down to a mundane and inevitable fact — a turnstile bureaucracy, a traffic jam, a job opportunity. In layout and interaction, Juárez and El Paso are one great sprawl of city sliced into unequal halves by a river.

When you hear about the border on the news, it’s often a fearsome story. The idea of immigration over the southern border veers immediately in our collective imagination of race, economy and public safety, and politicians have been stoking those lurid nightmares for many decades. Crises are declared even when the statistics don’t bear them out. Legal asylum seekers are conflated with drug traffickers and criminals.

Image
A parade in downtown El Paso. In this immigrant-rich, majority-Latino city, there is great sympathy for asylum seekers, but also worries about handling the influx.
A parade in downtown El Paso. In this immigrant-rich, majority-Latino city, there is great sympathy for asylum seekers, but also worries about handling the influx.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
A parade in downtown El Paso. In this immigrant-rich, majority-Latino city, there is great sympathy for asylum seekers, but also worries about handling the influx.

But reading reports from El Paso earlier this month, I understood that something had truly shifted. The city government — which had generally left nongovernmental and faith groups to care for migrants while municipal workers busied themselves with the workaday concerns of education, policing and sanitation — has ended up running a large-scale interstate busing operation for asylum seekers. Since when, I wondered, were desperate and destitute South Americans a city problem?

I started making calls, and the answer was swift and unequivocal: Since now.

El Paso, I learned, was suffering the strain of a unique convergence of problems: Annunciation House, a storied nonprofit that for decades led the work of resettling migrants, recently closed its largest shelter, citing maintenance problems and insufficient helpers.

The volunteers who used to keep the shelters running have been lying low since the pandemic. And, more crucially, the Venezuelans crossing into the El Paso sector at a clip of 1,000 a day were different from their predecessors in one critical way: About half of them had nobody to turn to in the United States — no family, no friends, not even an acquaintance to lend them money for bus fare.

Ruben Garcia, the head of Annunciation House, calls these disconnected Venezuelan travelers “first-generation refugees.”

“The other nationalities have been arriving in the U.S. for years. You ask them if they have somebody and they say, ‘Yeah, I have a brother. I have an aunt.’ They buy a ticket and they’re on their way,” Mr. Garcia said. “The Venezuelans say, ‘Not only do we not have anybody, but we have no money and nobody we can turn to for money.’ That’s caused things to back up, and caused border cities to look to the interior.”

Image
Some of the migrants who cross into El Paso end up at a shelter in Las Cruces, N.M., about 40 minutes away. Fernando Coello Marquez, 9, of Cuba talked to a family member back home in the shelter’s common area.
Some of the migrants who cross into El Paso end up at a shelter in Las Cruces, N.M., about 40 minutes away. Fernando Coello Marquez, 9, of Cuba talked to a family member back home in the shelter’s common area.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
Some of the migrants who cross into El Paso end up at a shelter in Las Cruces, N.M., about 40 minutes away. Fernando Coello Marquez, 9, of Cuba talked to a family member back home in the shelter’s common area.

An average of 2,100 people were coming over the border into El Paso every day, a Border Patrol spokesman, Landon Hutchens, said last week. More than half of those are Venezuelans. Mr. Hutchens said there had been a “slight decrease” in migrant arrivals since the new rule restricting Venezuelans was announced.

At El Paso’s municipal “welcome center,” a cavernous warehouse perched near the edge of an Army airfield, I watched one Homeland Security bus pull through the gates and then another. The doors swung open and out climbed dozens of men. They wore ill-fitting clothes; the smell of soap wafted off them like smoke. They came shuffling over the dirt and gravel and lined up in the courtyard. A light rain began to fall.

A slight woman with stylishly ripped jeans and a French manicure climbed onto a picnic table and launched into a speech. The speaker, Gina Buzo, usually works at the El Paso Office of Emergency Management; she was among some 125 city employees who had been pulled out of their usual jobs to work with the asylum seekers. She’d repeated these lines so often she knew them by heart. All the faces turned up to listen, masks of trepidation, boredom, anticipation. Ms. Buzo kept it simple.

“You are in the city of El Paso, Texas,” she told them in Spanish.

“You are now free to leave at any time,” she added.

Ms. Buzo explained that everyone should go inside and contact any family they had in the United States. They should inform their loved ones of their arrival, and ask them to buy a ticket to somewhere else.

“This is not a shelter or a refuge,” she told them. “We will help you advance.”

“Stay orderly and keep the place clean,” she called out, hopping to the ground.

“Thank you,” the men responded.

The next bus had already arrived, and was disgorging another load of people.

The center was rudimentary but clean, with phone chargers, free Wi-Fi and a smattering of toys donated by members of the Fire Department. Partitions created a breastfeeding room, and soccer games played on televisions mounted on the walls. Water and sandwiches were available at lunchtime; another bag of food was handed over to anyone who was about to climb onto a bus. Mostly, there were people — to pass out food, keep an eye out for scuffles, or help explain how a family might reach Dallas (the New York bus stops there for gas).

I wandered in the crowd, listening to the stories of dangerous passage and fragile hope. On the riverbank downtown, I’d heard from federal agents that everyone seeking asylum would get to speak confidentially with an asylum officer while in detention. But I couldn’t find anyone who’d even been offered a conversation like that while in custody. Most of the people I met had been released with nothing but a telephone number and instructions to phone after 60 days to get a court date.

Image
The Las Cruces shelter is a former armory.
The Las Cruces shelter is a former armory.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
The Las Cruces shelter is a former armory.

In other words, the entire system was so jammed up that people couldn’t even get started. The processing center was already filled beyond capacity, and the Border Patrol was sending planeloads of asylum seekers to other sectors every day.

When the chartered buses pulled into the parking lot of the welcome center, their destinations were shouted out. Lugging children, clutching envelopes full of documents, people filed out and climbed aboard. The doors sighed shut, and they were gone.

None of this is free, or even cheap: This relatively bare-bones operation was costing El Paso $250,000 to $300,000 a day. A City Council member, Isabel Salcido, calculated that El Paso, which runs on an annual budget of $1.2 billion, would spend $89 million on asylum seekers in a year if the pace continued.

The city is eligible for reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, but there is anxiety and ambiguity about whether all the cash being spent can be recouped. The federal reimbursement is meant to pay back expenses for only 30 percent of the total number of people being helped. El Paso is banking on FEMA to make an exception. When I asked Representative Veronica Escobar about the city’s chances, she said she was optimistic, but she added, “I can’t predict the future.”

Ms. Salcido said she was starting to get calls of alarm from some constituents.

“Everyone is really pressed right now,” she said. “People are thinking about their tax dollars and what are they paying for. The financial strain they have personally, and then seeing their dollars go this way. It’s scary.”

All of these discussions end up circling back to Washington. Some say it diplomatically, and others less so, but everyone I spoke with mentioned the glaring lack of federal guidance. If you don’t like the buses, they said, suggest another plan.

“If people don’t have places to go, what are we supposed to do?” asked Kari Lenander, executive director of Border Servant Corps, who is running the Las Cruces shelter under the umbrella of Annunciation House. “I think everyone is circling that question.” The buses, she said, aren’t so political as much as “what must be done.”

Image
Visitors to an overlook in El Paso can see the red “La Equis” (“The X”) sculpture in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. To the left of the sculpture are the Rio Grande and its canal.
Visitors to an overlook in El Paso can see the red “La Equis” (“The X”) sculpture in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. To the left of the sculpture are the Rio Grande and its canal.Credit...Ivan Pierre Aguirre for The New York Times
Visitors to an overlook in El Paso can see the red “La Equis” (“The X”) sculpture in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. To the left of the sculpture are the Rio Grande and its canal.

Twilight was gathering downtown, and strings of light twinkled to life in the boughs of the ash trees ringing San Jacinto Plaza. It was a balmy evening, and the annual arts festival was in full swing, with bands rocking out in the plaza and children scrawling on the streets with pastel chalk. Half the city seemed to have turned out: Wandering among the booths, I kept running into people I’d planned to interview.

A towering El Paso native, John Martin is deputy director of the Opportunity Center for the Homeless, a downtown shelter that has been “inundated,” in his words, by dozens of walk-in asylum seekers who’ve avoided the city’s efforts to bus them onward. We stood by a bounce house emblazoned with Disney characters; Mr. Martin introduced me to his wife, who had moved over the river into the United States from Ciudad Juárez. The couple’s 8-year-old son scrambled in circles around us as we talked.

I’d heard the shelter had been forced to turn people away; Mr. Martin said that he and his staff squeezed sleeping spaces into offices and crammed floor mats together until the shelter, meant to fit 84 people overnight, at one point held 140. But people kept coming and, in the end, there was simply no more space.

“Immigration in the United States is broken, but one side of the fence wants to study the root causes of the problem, and don’t want to see what’s happening right here,” Mr. Martin said, squinting beneath the brim of his cowboy hat. “And the other side wants to build a wall which would become a dam and eventually burst.”

He paused, and chuckled at himself. “That’s about the most political answer I’ve ever given,” he said.

The next morning, I drove along the border to southeastern El Paso and stopped at a small city park just up the road from the Zaragoza Bridge — a laid-back, blue-collar area wedged between the border and Interstate 10. A nearby broom factory had announced a few days earlier that it would close at the end of the year, taking dozens of jobs with it.

On the grassy slopes of the park, Cecilia Macias tossed balls for her dogs. I told her I was writing about the border, and Ms. Macias immediately did the usual El Paso thing: She smiled and told me about her own connection to that river. She and her parents crossed when she was 14, leaving Ciudad Juárez behind.

Ms. Macias, who described herself as self-employed, didn’t have simple feelings about the people flooding into the city. She felt sorry for them, she said. She wanted to help them. And she understood their plight, because she, too, had come to build a life here, although she was careful to stipulate that she and her parents had immigrated legally.

But, at the same time, she’d been struggling to pay for her groceries lately, forgoing even eggs. Friends and family members had applied for government services, but were turned down. These experiences gave her the feeling that there wasn’t enough to go around: not enough money and not enough houses.

“They can’t stay,” she said. “What are we going to do with all these people?”

The Times is committed to publishing a diversity of letters to the editor. We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here are some tips. And here’s our email: let...@nytimes.com.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

Correction:
Oct. 20, 2022

An earlier version of this article misstated the status of Annunciation House. While it closed its largest shelter, the group itself remains in operation.

Megan K. Stack, a contributing Opinion writer and fellow at the George Washington University School of Media and Public Affairs, has been a correspondent in China, Russia, Egypt, Israel, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Mexico and Texas. @Megankstack