Anybody using Git? I need a lesson.

Kevin Wentworth

Mar 26, 2010, 11:43:58 AM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
How is everyone?  Good, I hope.

Does anyone use Git and/or GitHub.com for version control?  I would love to get a lesson on using it correctly.

When's the next meeting?

-Kevin

Kevin Wentworth
Saco Design, Inc.
Reflecting Your Business Online
visit: http://www.sacodesign.com/
email: ke...@sacodesign.com
voice: (207) 590 - 1487

John Smith

Mar 26, 2010, 12:12:41 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I love git. I'm no expert but it's similar to every other CVS out
there.

Meeting ...... yeah. Well the thing is, I'm happy to organize stuff,
but the topics I'm confident enough to chat about are more techy. If
this crowd wants more untechy stuff, do we have anyone who is interested
in stepping up?

-J

On 3/26/2010 11:43 AM, Kevin Wentworth wrote:
> How is everyone? Good, I hope.
> Does anyone use Git and/or GitHub.com for version control? I would love
> to get a lesson on using it correctly.
> When's the next meeting?
> -Kevin

> Kevin Wentworth
> Saco Design, Inc.
> Reflecting Your Business Online

> visit: _http://www.sacodesign.com/_
> email: ke...@sacodesign.com <mailto:ke...@sacodesign.com>

Nicole Ouellette

Mar 26, 2010, 12:32:40 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
So I'd love to meet some of you folks in person and I actually more listen to the conversation of the group precisely because I'm not so techy. I like using social media and teaching people about their CMS websites but I respect (and need) to know people with tech skills like yourselves.

If you send me a list of sample topics you've done in the past (I'm sort of new to this group), I'd be happy to come up with something less techy. You know, but still fun.

Nicole

--
Nicole Ouellette
Breaking Even Communications

Kevin Callahan

Mar 26, 2010, 1:05:44 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

Kevin I'd be happy to give an overview of git. We've been using it for
a couple years now and everyone one loves it. Sort of its own beast
and has some ins and outs; the joke is that no one knows for sure why
Torvalds named it git, though at times it's so simple to use it's the
git, and at times it definitely makes you feel like the git ;)

That all said it's awesome. Really nice interface, managing local and
remote branches is really easy, and with github helping out it gets
even better. Very much like it ;)

-k

Kevin Wentworth

Mar 26, 2010, 1:48:16 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
Well, let's plan on a git together! (Couldn't resist)

I like the history of the name git...

I'm using Git and Github but not effectively. I'm not doing any branching,
etc. just using Github to store my files. I want to understand how I can
use it to do more stuff.

Want to plan on meeting at that place in Union (I think) sometime the week
of April 5th? Or is there a better venue for this?

-Kevin

Kevin Callahan

Mar 26, 2010, 3:49:28 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
From The Git: Gittin' up to speed :)

For those that don't know what git is, it's a very powerful yet simple
source control management (SCM) system developed by Linus Torvalds (of
Linux core fame). He's just a little bit brilliant ;) Anyhow, git is
great cuz it doesn't matter what kind of data it's tracking, so you
can version image, documents, etc with it. Github offers a nice web UI
to explore your project tree and see what's going on. I'm not aware of
any GUI clients for git, though also haven't looked since the command
line is pretty easy to use.

I can cover some basic strategies for using git as well if that's of
interest, such as when and what to branch from. Git supports a couple
types of merge and has actually a very powerful merge engine that can
take multiple versions of a file with multiple changes and spit out a
merged version...it's sorta like magic. It also handles conflicts very
nicely, and at least on OSX there are some nice visualization tools
that enable you to see the local commit trees. There are also web
based solutions such as trac that map onto the central repository so
you can trace through the remote commit trees.

Plus, the git puns are limitless for endless geek giggles and
chortles. To give at least a little lead time I could do weds 4/14 or
2 weeks later on 4/28...though I'll actually need to clear both those
dates with my better half. Badger would be great though they don't
have anywhere to project, which would be ideal. However, I doubt many
folks would be interested enough in git to show up, so realistically
we could prob all just huddle around a single laptop pretty
easily....thoughts? Who else is interested?

-k

Kim Slawson

Mar 26, 2010, 5:04:15 PM3/26/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com
4/14 works better for me.  The earlier the better, as my wife has instructed me I am not to be leaving the house in late april as the baby is due right about then :-)

Kim Slawson

Kevin Callahan

Mar 29, 2010, 5:05:34 PM3/29/10
to from-t...@googlegroups.com