Added first logo proposal

Mario Sanchez Prada

Jun 4, 2009, 12:07:21 PM6/4/09
to frogr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all, thanks Adrian for your proposal for the frogr logo, I've
added the needed code and put files in place so you could check it out
in last commit (2084c9a).

Have to say that, bearing in mind it's the first proposal it looks very
nice indeed, so unless you or someone else made a better one I'd bet
this one could easily become the "official" one :) (My design skills are
not very good, so I won't even try it)

Thanks,
Mario

Adrian Perez de Castro

Jun 4, 2009, 3:34:21 PM6/4/09
to frogr...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 18:07:21 +0200, Mario wrote:

> First of all, thanks Adrian for your proposal for the frogr logo, I've
> added the needed code and put files in place so you could check it out
> in last commit (2084c9a).

Great :)

> Have to say that, bearing in mind it's the first proposal it looks very
> nice indeed, so unless you or someone else made a better one I'd bet
> this one could easily become the "official" one :) (My design skills are
> not very good, so I won't even try it)

It look very nice in the “About” dialog, but I am not sure if using the
XPM version as source for the window icon is a good idea. In the past I
did some PyGtk scritps which used gtk_window_set_default_icon_list() [1]
to provide several versions (16x16, 32x32, 48x48...) as window managers
will pick the size which better matches when presenting icons to the
user. E.g. an “Alt-Tab window selector” could use the 32px version, and
the 16x16 version could be used for showing in window title bars.

Of course, this is just a “it would be nice” thing, it is not very
important right now :)

Cheers,

---
[1]
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-default-icon-list

--
Adrian Perez de Castro

signature.asc

Mario Sanchez Prada

Jun 4, 2009, 3:58:24 PM6/4/09
to frogr...@googlegroups.com
Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
> [...]

> It look very nice in the “About” dialog, but I am not sure if using the
> XPM version as source for the window icon is a good idea. In the past I
> did some PyGtk scritps which used gtk_window_set_default_icon_list() [1]
> to provide several versions (16x16, 32x32, 48x48...) as window managers
> will pick the size which better matches when presenting icons to the
> user. E.g. an “Alt-Tab window selector” could use the 32px version, and
> the 16x16 version could be used for showing in window title bars.
>
> Of course, this is just a “it would be nice” thing, it is not very
> important right now :)

Nice suggestion, although you're right: at this moment there are more
prioritaty tasks in the TODO list than worrying about the icon (in fact
I was not worried at all about it until you sent your amazing design),
if I want to get a pre-release of the 0.1 version announced soon :-)

But in the meanwhile, if you want and have the energy and will to do it,
you could always cook up a patch for master branch ;-)

Thanks,
Mario