Sat 4/23 Trail Cleanup + good news + other updates

Friends of MBT Friends of MBT

Apr 11, 2022, 6:30:11 PMApr 11
to Friends of the Metropolitan Branch Trail
1. Recording of our first meeting

Thanks to all who joined our 3/22 kick-off meeting. The video recording is on YouTube — https://youtu.be/cmovnfZnqK8 — with my slides here and the NPS slides with awesome trail updates here.

2. Fort Totten section is actually close *knocks wood, fingers crossed*

Residents have started posting pictures of progress on the Fort Totten section every few days now. This was yesterday near the Galloway path intersection and here's a look from Saturday at the permeable brick surface near that junction.

It's been "a few more weeks" away for a few months, but the weekly contractor reports showed last-minute work was needed on the underground utilities. I'm hoping DDOT Director Lott was "under-promise, over-deliver"-ing when he said this section will be open "by the end of summer."

3. Trail Clean-Up on Sat 4/23 at 10

On Saturday, April 23, at 10 a.m., I hope you'll join me for a clean-up of the Metropolitan Branch Trail.

Meet at Dew Drop Inn, 2801 8th Street NE. I'll bring trash bags, but please bring any gloves, grabber thingies, and other lawn care equipment you like using.

Slides - Friends of MBT Mtg - 3.24.2022 (3).jpg

4. Add your name to comments for MBT thru Takoma design

We're late in the game on getting comments into DDOT, as they plan to move beyond concept design starting with a public meeting in May/June. However, I've drafted comments on the concepts they released. Please read them, add comments/suggestions, and add your name to the bottom. Official comments from "Friends of the MBT" doesn't mean much if it's just my name.

5. Proposed D.C. budget adds new off-street MBT section in Manor Park

Mayor Bowser's proposed D.C. budget to begin in October includes new money to perform a new Environmental Assessment and construct an off-street MBT section on NPS land from Riggs Road up to Blair, parallel to 1st Street NE, through Legacy Memorial Park, and around the Blair Road Community Garden.

This is very encouraging. Manor Park residents — and folks who experienced the "we'll do it later" plan on 8th Street NE —have been asking DDOT to build the trail right the first time. For a few years, the MBT route will be on-street in Manor Park. But, this money allows DDOT and NPS to partner on a new environmental assessment in FY23-24, design in FY25-26, and then construction to complete in FY27. In lay men's terms, this could mean MBT users will return off-street in Manor Park by summer 2027.

See the capital budget table below, with the new money. Councilmember Lewis-George is supportive. I've asked DDOT to include a walk/bike bridge crossing Riggs in this new environmental assessment. Lots of people are understandably not going to want to cross Riggs until that road design changes drastically. Bridges are hella $$$ tho.

image002.png

6. Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 20

Friday, May 20th is Bike to Work Day this year. You can sign up now. Is someone willing to join me by going to one of the pit stops to collect emails for our list and spread the work about Friends of MBT? Please reply if so!

Thanks,
Gordon Chaffin

Friends of the Metropolitan Branch Trail