8th St NE update

Gordon Chaffin

Feb 18, 2022, 12:20:06 PMFeb 18
to Friends of the Metropolitan Branch Trail
Former ANC 5E01 commissioner Nick Cheolas writes today in Greater Greater Washington about the 8th St NE protected bike lane project which would connect the MBT's Eckington section with Brookland/Catholic U section along John McCormack Rd.

As many of you know, the majority of MBT users only use the off-street section between NoMA and 8th NE. Some experienced bike commuters know that the trail continues North up 8th, along the Arts Walk, and then follows John McCormack next to Catholic. Some Catholic students walk to class or exercise on that section, but it's pretty barren.

When the Fort Totten MBT section opens up next month, and the weather improves, I'm hoping that a huge number of people will finally discover that Catholic section. But then, most people will probably continue to be confused when the trail ends at Monroe St without clear signage or a protected bike lane going down 8th.

I hope you all will join me in pushing DDOT to finally install a protected bike lane on 8th with clear signage showing that the MBT continues on that street.