We are Safe and Well ~ Aranya Bodhi Hermitage dwellers and retreatants safely evacuated to Dhammadharini Monastery

Tathālokā Bhikkhunī

Aug 19, 2020, 2:47:28 AM8/19/20
to Dhammadharini Google Group post, Friends of the Hermitage, Dhammadharini Monastery, Aranya Bodhi Awakening Forest Hermitage
Dear friends,

Warm greetings from our Dhammadharini Monastery in Penngrove, where our Aranya Bodhi Hermitage Vassa-time dwellers and retreatants have safely evacuated.

Shortly after lunch today, I noticed smoke on the ridgetops at our hermitage, then helicopters, and then heard a brigade of sirens going north on Highway 1. Coming down the mountain to our hermitage commons, thanks to modern technology and our good friends and associates, within a few minutes we could learn about a fire less than five miles to the northwest of our hermitage. This was in addition to another better known fire of concern further away, for which evacuation warnings were already being posted. So we prepared for evacuation and also wished for the best. Fortunately, winds brought smoke to the west (west is left in the photo below), so air remained breathable at our hermitage as we prepared to go, and visibility was safe as we departed. The sheriff came to check on us to be sure we knew to go, and that we were safely departing. We were able to see goodbye to our DharmaCreek land sister neighbors as they were also all evacuating. It gave me great confidence to know (as this is our first such experience) that local evacuation sirens were completely audible, and everyone was quickly and efficiently looking out for both themselves and one another.

117732734_945491052583458_1366137136251238979_n.jpg

The sun had just set as we were driving out, leaving our Vassa-time boundary, with the traditional determination, "I am leaving my Vassa-dwelling; I will return within seven days unless there are obstacles."

Of course, such a fire is exactly the kind of "obstacle" that our monastic discipline is understanding of and provides for. Not only us. For millennia our dear humanity and our dear monastic community have shared in such experiences as we now experience too.

117771964_778759406272473_7249033955502787166_n.jpg

I deeply wish and pray that the fire stay back and not burn our hermitage forest and its living beings who are not able to evacuate. Also, we understand nature, and know that this is the nature of things in our conditioned world.

 The fire came up and crested the ridge behind us just after we emerged from our Vassa boundary. Although the wind is normally coming from west to east off the coast in the evening, this evening, there was a breeze from east to west, blowing the fire away from most human habitations and towards the ocean, to which it is very close. The purple-grey just above the black hills on the left side of the photo is ocean.

117939578_303782421067620_2000806119473879668_n.jpg

As we drove away, we drove south into fog-cooled evening air. I hope the fog comes into the fire area! And we understand all the conditions of nature, blessings, best wishes and letting go, releasing everything into freedom.

Amidst all conditions, i would like to tell you how humbling and amazing it was to arrive in the absolutely awesome and wonderful retreat ambiance of our Dhammadharini monastery Dhamma and meditation hall this evening. And to be welcomed by Sangha as Sangha.

I feel profoundly grateful that we were able, as a community, with so much kindness, dedication and care, to evacuate together, in light of the Dhamma. And that we have our bhikkhunī sangha monastery to evacuate to, and be met with kindness, dedication and care, with hearts of Dhamma.

This is entirely thanks to conditions of which you, reader of this message, have been and are such a blessed and essential part. Thank you for all your love and kindness. Thank you for all your acts of care. WE have generated enormous blessings together. It is so important to have such spaces of such blessings in this world.

We know this too is transitory. We know we have this opportunity now. May we give our hearts over to what is absolutely most meaningful, blessed and fortunate. To generating, receiving, cultivated, nurturing, developing and sharing this. To doing the work that needs to be done. There is never the time to lose. When we are awake and aware we realize this, and the compass of our values and hearts align. When everything aligns, we are good. There is just this.

I share the merits of this powerful goodness, and all the goodness of the Buddha's awakening, teaching, and all the awakenings and realizations, and all the good that has come from it with all guardian devas, all blessed beings and benefactors, all firefighters and first responders, all those who are taking care of others, all people local to our hermitage who may be in distress, all the animals and living beings of our hermitage land and the land around it, and to everyone in need who is able to benefit. I invite you to do the same however you are able and feel happy and blessed to.

With compassion and much mettā,
from Dhammadharini Monastery
in this space of peace and refuge amidst our beloved community,
in Dhamma,
Ayya Tathālokā

Dhammadharini Monastery
email: dhammadhari...@gmail.com
tel/text: 707-583-9522

the sharing of photos here is thanks to Anāgārikā Thavirā

Lal Senanayake

Aug 19, 2020, 10:54:01 AM8/19/20
to Tathālokā Bhikkhunī, Dhammadharini Google Group post, Friends of the Hermitage, Dhammadharini Monastery, Aranya Bodhi Awakening Forest Hermitage
Dear Ven Ayye,
I am glad to hear everyone is safe and thank you so much for letting us know.

Please let us know if there is anything you need from us.

🙏🙏🙏
Theruwan Sarani
Lal