Greetings from Aranya Bodhi ~

Tathaaloka Bhikkhuni

Oct 16, 2017, 8:39:14 PM10/16/17
to Dhammadharini Google Group post, Friends of the Hermitage, Aranya Bodhi Hermitage
All dear Venerables & dear Dhamma friends,

Warm greetings from this great, quiet expanse of coastal redwood forest that is Aranya Bodhi.

After nearly one week amidst the smoke and sirens at our Dhammadharini Monastery, and with the nearby Pressley Fire branch of the Nuns Fire 100% contained, i returned to Aranya Bodhi yesterday evening for a breather.

On the drive, we could see the several hundred acre burnt-out stretch of hills which came so near our new monastery and within a few feet of our old Grange Rd vihara up the hill. With the winds died down, we could see a great column of smoke rising into the sky about the Annadel area of north Santa Rosa, fires still burning, even if more and more contained. Knowing, even if unseen, the devastation around them.

We had heard people were retreating to camp at the coast for fresh air. To our surprise, making our way over to the coast, the smoke increased rather than decreased, culminating in the greatest amount of smoke just around the area of our hermitage! Smoke flowing west from north Santa Rosa out the Russian River to the sea, smoke traveling south and west from the fires in Cloverdale, and smoke from the Redwood Fire further north traveling west and then south down the coast. We arrived in time to see the blood red sun setting through the great confluence of smoke.

Fortunately, ever so fortunately, inside Freedom Kuti, the air was (comparatively) pure and clean. This morning, emerging, to the warm and every-so-dry forest, i could see the fine rain of ash on the wooden deck, lid of the zen toilet/honey bucket...all around. And yet, it is quiet here now, and quite still.

I am deeply aware of all of the great activity still going on "in town." Deeply aware of all of the many firefighters and emergency personnel, those local, from around the state, from around the country, and even from as far away as Australia. Of all of the friends who have lost their homes. Who have lost their elderly relatives. Who have lost their most treasured possessions of a lifetime. Who are displaced...who don't know yet...

Oh, anicca! Great teacher, anicca.

I am deeply grateful for all of those friends and community members who have rallied during this time, showing the beauty of humanity, of kindness, of generosity, of enormous endurance and perseverance and effort. To care for fellow human beings, to care for animals, to care for the children, to support and care for those who are caring. And to my fellow monastics for all of these, and doing their work to care for the Dhamma. For these most precious human hearts, and the work of the Path--anumodana!

I would like to especially express my deep gratitude to all of those who phoned, or messaged or emailed me or our monastery asking how they could help. Those who offered ever-so-helpful rides and food. And especially to all of those who offered invitation should we need to evacuate:
- to local friends in Petaluma for a transition place of refuge
- to the old Green Valley Forest Refuge / Pa-auk Tawya Vipassana Dhura Hermitage
- to Wangmo Gellek Dixey of Mangalam Centers
- to Rev Masters Phoebe and Seikai of Pine Mountain Monastery
- & to Ven Bhiksuni Thubten Chodron and Sravasti Abbey in WA!

This time...this time...we did not need to evacuate, many thanks to all venerable friends who chanted parittas, who prayed, who joined us in meditation, who sent your compassionate and metta-ful good wishes from around the world.

These are important days, hours and moments in this lifetime. Clarifying, illuminating, instructive.

My very best regards,
with lovingkindness and compassion to all,
Ayya Tathaloka

PS. Before i left our Dhammadharini monastery at the western foot of Sonoma Mountain in Penngrove yesterday, i suggested to some friends the possibility to join me in taking a fire break, for Dhamma and meditation in the fresh air, stillness and quiet at Aranya Bodhi. Please note, the air quality is not good enough yet to qualify as "fresh." Hopefully in a few days. Especially if some gentle rain comes in on Thursday.

PPS.
​ ​
Many kind and gracious thanks to all those friends who came to Aranya Bodhi once or twice during the Vassa for volunteer weekends who have taken such good loving care of our trails, the kutis, the wood, and so many other things here...i see your care everywhere i look.

Namātthu buddhānaṃ
Namātthu bodhiyā
Namo vimuttanaṃ
Namo vimuttiyā.

Homage to all the Awakened Ones,
Homage to Awakening;
Homage to all the Free Ones,
Homage to Freedom.
- Mora Paritta, the Peacock's Protection
photo credit

❧ Aranya Bodhi Hermitage

Oct 18, 2017, 9:46:44 PM10/18/17
to Dhammadharini Google Group post, Friends of the Hermitage
Dear Dhamma friends,

Last night and this morning, the ocean mist has come in and cleaned the air, which is now fresh, clean and pure here at Aranya Bodhi Hermitage.

The dry land and trees are now cool and soaking in the moisture. Rain is expected tomorrow.

Friends of our bhikkhunis' community in need of fresh air, quiet and peace in this monastic environment in nature, and those who would like to work out in nature helping with winterizing the hermitage, are now welcome.

Please check in with us about the day/s you would like to come. Our overnight visitors' form is here. Reply to this email or phone/text to 707-583-9523

We are also now accepting applications for potential longer term residency for the position of hermitage land steward (learn more here).

Much metta,
from Aranya Bodhi

--

"Beautiful in the beginning,