Acceptance/admittance at Wat Thamkrabok

Jon Barratt

May 16, 2019, 9:27:28 AM5/16/19
to Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery
Hi everyone, I hope everyone on here is well.

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to offer advice on contacting the monastery..

I very much want to spend a week there, late June or early July, to detox from alcohol once and for all and take the Sajja vow. I contacted the monastery via the website, and I received a reply asking some questions, but since answering these questions I've heard nothing back.. this was a week ago, and I'm wondering if this is usual? I'm worried that, while I tried to be polite and respectful in my emails, I may have got the tone wrong, or maybe not used the right words, etc..

I re-sent my email in case it was overlooked, but no reply as yet. I'm anxious to know if I'll be accepted so I can get my flights booked and provide them with these timings so that they know when to expect me.

I'm sure the monastery's very busy, and I might be worrying unnecessarily, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, or has any advice please?

Thank you for reading, and have a great day everyone.

Sincerely,

Jon Barratt

Will Dove

May 16, 2019, 4:10:10 PM5/16/19
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,
I am going in June (if the High monk permits me to enter). That is not a given! I would say that this is not a typical rehab, and one week is not going to do it! I plan to stay at least two months, if not more, even if it means I lose my job. This is a BIG commitment! don't think that one week is going to fix you (whatever your addiction may be). I have been talking to them for a couple of months, and only last week was given permission to come to the temple, and be offered an audience with the high monk in charge of admittance! Not only that, but I have battled my addictions for two months to get clean, so I can come. You cant just turn up high or drunk and expect them to fix you.
That is not how it works!  If you are serious about giving up your addictions, then I am sure they may consider you, but you cant just go for a week! This is the rest of your life you are talking about! Think seriously about what you want to do, and what you are willing to give up to achieve it. I am willing to give up everything, or I will die. If that is your position, then reapply, and make that clear!
I am not there yet, and am still trying to get clean BEFORE I go, as that shows that it is something you are willing to fight for!
They only want warriors, not weekend warriors!

I wish you the best of luck, reapply, but consider the commitment you are willing to make. If it is not 100% (i.e. you will give up everything in your life for this ONE CHANCE to get clean), then maybe it is not the right time for you!

I will be there in June (if I am allowed to enter) and hope you can make that commitment too. If you do, I will see you there!

All the best,
Will.

The OFFICIAL Thamkrabok Monastery website is http://www.wat-thamkrabok.org
 INDEPENDENT information can be found at http://www.thamkrabok.net
 BUDDHIST RECOVERY information can be found at http://www.5th-precept.org
 HUNGRY GHOST RETREAT information can be found at http://www.HungryGhostRetreats.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/friends-of-thamkrabok-monastery/da4f27b1-01e0-4910-b8e7-77bbf0f88ae7%40googlegroups.com.

Kieran Conway

May 17, 2019, 4:48:43 AM5/17/19
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I sound not worry it is quite busy I am currently at the temple and know of 3 new people around the same time. I would call the number on the website but do it between 10am and 5pm Thailand time just week days. Just explain you have done to application pack and waiting could they checknthat it's underway.

I hope you get a response if not let me know and I can go ask them in the office for you np.

Kieran

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note  9 S martphone.

Kieran Conway

May 17, 2019, 4:51:52 AM5/17/19
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Yes I agree with Will a longer stay is more preferable much work is done in detox but I feel much more happens in temple after. Good luck

Kieran

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note  9 S martphone.

May 17, 2019, 3:29:48 PM5/17/19
to Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery
Hi Will and Kieran, I hope you are both well.

Thank you both for your kind, supportive and informative replies, I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

You've given me some very helpful advice, and made some very good points that I hadn't considered.. You've also changed my perspective a little - for the better - and I thank you for that, too. I think my understanding of Wat Thamkrabok might have been lacking, and it seems I have a lot more work to do before I go there. I think too from what you've told me that a longer stay there is more beneficial, and is likely to be taken more seriously by those charged with admitting people such as myself. Now that you've laid this down for me, it makes good sense.

I'll take your advice on board and do my best with it and, again, thank you for your sound advice and support.

My kindest regards, and my sincere best wishes to the both of you for your own journeys - I hope to see you both in the future.

All the best,

Jon

Kieran Conway

May 17, 2019, 10:47:26 PM5/17/19
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon

That sounds great. Although it would be possible to do the 7 day detox just my opinion is that I needed longer to be away from the craziness of my life. I need to be are spiritual people and have opertunity for gradual change. It is different for everyone but the odds would be very low for me if I had gone back to my life straight after detox.

I truly hope you can make it as you seem fully ready to make the mental changes but I do agree on making the necessary pre work before comming as a longer stay would give you a much better chance to integrate into the community here and learn deeper practice that will help in your life.

Stay in touch.

PS this is just my view amongst many and would not want to put you off man but it's always you decision and if it's a rushed way maybe find a balanced view and make good preparations is best.