Lower Dam discussion and my response.

1 view

Steve Barnick

May 18, 2011, 3:47:45 PM5/18/11
to Friends of Barton Springs Pool
Folks,
I agree that careful consideration should be done to insure that a
patch is the best investment.

I discovered the topographical maps as part of the same link for the
dam report. It appears they were done last year here is the link:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/GIS-Data/PARD/Gary/BSP/topo/

I don't remember hearing about this being complete and/or submitted
but do remember they were doing a lot of surveying about two years
ago. There could be a final version pending now that the gravel has
been removed from the deep end. The results of the gravel bar removal
effort and how that effects the topography(term?) in that area would
be a good question to submit to the subcommittee and powers that
be...?

FYI: The dam assessment was a funded part of the short term projects.
It has taken ~4 years to get this done. The dams, the topography of
the pool and surrounding area are all part of BSP Master plan effort
to understand and make future long term decision regarding the pool
that could ultimately improve water flow.

Regards,
Steve

*********************************
All,

I hope you will remember that it was strongly requested that we get
the flow and dam reports before we removed the debris. We just spent
darn close to a million dollars to remove debris, that money and
energy could have gone to a more comprehensive approach to all of the
problems if we had not been in such a hurry to spend the money.

It has been said that we should build a new dam and I think it should
be thoroughly investigated before we spend 1/2 a million on a patch.
I think this dam is old enough to warrant a full process of
consideration.

Peter Steinhardt

**************************************
Laurie,

Thanks for the additional information! It would be great if it could
be repaired without extended closing. :-)

I've heard about cement dams that can be patched with underwater
cement that actually cures underwater. I'm sure the people managing
this will explore all the options.

Karen Kreps

*************************************
Hi all,
Here is a little more information regarding the dams at the Pool.
The City just received the final report on the structural condition of
both dams, the results of which Gary Gregson summarized at the Parks/
Environmental Board Subcommittee meeting on Monday. A written summary
of the report is on the BSP Master Plan web site and the full report
can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/GIS-Data/PARD/Gary/BSP/. I have read the report and there are some things that need repair, but, as of yet there are no formal plans for doing those repairs; whether there is an extended Pool closure has not been determined yet. When a couple of the bypass joints were repaired back in 2008, the job was accomplished on a couple of Thursdays while the Pool was closed for cleaning. No extra closure. It may be that the repairs of the dams could be done the same way. When I know more I'll let you all know.
Cheers,
Laurie

Yesterday, I heard Tom Nelson talking with some regular swimmers about
an inspection done to the dam, but I could not catch the details.
Today I heard this report on KUT. It contains disturbing news that the
pool may be facing another extended closure in the winter.

If anyone gets more info, please share it here.

Karen Kreps